Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi
Yeah, I'm kinda surprised there isn't an appliances megathread or anything. I'm in the process of buying a place where the current owners are taking all the appliances with them, so I've been trying to figure out this strange world of home appliances. I've been making do (with whatever came with the rental) for so long that it just seems like there's too many options.

Are Wolf ranges better than my child receiving an education, and what the gently caress is sabbath mode? Do Fagor and Smeg have performance that backs up their memorable names? It would certainly be appreciated if someone knows enough to start a megathread of sorts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi
I'm in the loan stage, and what's the deal with the escrow for taxes and insurance (I've got better than 80% LTV and it's not FHA)? It seems like it would be better to handle this myself.

krysmopompas fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jan 24, 2014

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi
I started my short sale buy back in mid-October and I'm looking to close around the end of next month. However, things went a lot quicker than anyone was expecting.

Dunno why anyone wouldn't do it if they have the chance, a big chunk of equity like this is hard to pass up.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi
Anyone with short sale experience that involved 2 lenders around? Both lenders want a payout, and my lender is only going to authorize the first lender to get that "settlement fee". I had a consultation w/a real estate lawyer and she indicated that, while this is illegal, it happens all the time and the 2nd lender usually squeezes it through the title company as some sort of charge that gets kept off the HUD statement. There isn't any risk to me because I'm still abiding by the letter of all the contracts and the price is still good.

The problem is that this 2nd lender doesn't want to play, they want my lender to approve it, and the title company isn't trying to help. I'm not in a position where I could pull a cash sale out of thin air, so is there anything else I could do to make this happen?

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

skipdogg posted:

That's pure insanity. I know the bay area is desirable to live in, but that poo poo is crazy. No wonder so many tech firms are expanding to Austin and other parts of Texas. 840K here will get you a massive house here. Or 4 really nice regular houses.
The bay area is a big place and it's not all that expensive everywhere - all of Austin isn't Westlake Hills, for example. The NIMBY-as-gently caress peninsula towns tend to be worse off in this regard.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

Jastiger posted:

We're paying rent right now and are just unsure if we should buy or keep on renting.
If you would be satisfied to die there, you should buy there.

Rent, otherwise.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

Leperflesh posted:

I'm in Concord and we have BART and you can buy a house for $300k here in a not-murdery neighborhood.
West Oakland hasn't been murdery for a while anyhow. Kilovolt Coffee just opened on Mandela, so we're at peak gentrification if you go a bit further south.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi
Been in escrow since October, the bank isn't going to approve the short sale so I'm finally trying to cancel, my realtor has been AWOL for over 3 weeks.

On the other hand, it might be a lot of fun to just leave my deposit in escrow so if the bank actually forecloses on the sellers they can never re-sell it.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

mastershakeman posted:

The only people who seem happy renting are those who are in horrible places that are extremely cheap.
Coincidentally those are also the same people who don't have 5-10% annual rent increases.

My landlord practically shat himself when I told him I finally had a closing date, since it means he can start marketing the place early with a 20% increase and see if anyone bites before he starts dropping the price. I'm sure he'll get it too, things are already priced above $500/sqft in this building.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

Drink and Fight posted:

- live in the SF Bay
- $96k in investment accounts, $5k in cash
I only really know Oakland. While you've got the income to buy a lot of what's out there, the lack of cash is going to price you out of most options since I imagine you're going to lose a fair bit of that to capital gains.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

Drink and Fight posted:

I live in Temescal now and I love it; ideally I'd stay here. Preferably a duplex or 4plex, otherwise probably a condo. I know I can't afford a SFH anytime soon unless it was a major fixer-upper which I'm not really equipped to deal with.
The big problem you'll face is that with %20 down, you're going to be looking at $350k and below, and there's not a whole lot of that. I can probably count the number of listings on my hands.

There's a loft in Jack London listed at $350, but there's no way it's going to sell that low even though it's got ~$500/mo HOA fees. Adams Point or part of Grand Lake might have some good condos, and you still might be able to find something good in West Oakland or east of the lake before 14th.

But that's really it unless you want to go out further into the burbs.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi
Welp, after 10 months of being in escrow between a short sale and then an REO, the landed gentry can now count me among their ranks.

My first order of business will be finding the drug stash of whomever thought this was a good idea:

The second order will involve a sledgehammer and lots of sheetrock dust. I've got a lot of bad ideas and poor implementation to correct, but I'm looking forward to it.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

fknlo posted:

I need to figure out who I make my first payment to. I haven't gotten a bill but I know that my mortgage has already been bought by someone else. Do I pay the original guys or the new guys? Guess I should probably call someone.
In my case, the first payment went to the loan originator, then subsequent payments went to the folks that bought it. The originator should be the one you can contact to get more info.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

lampey posted:

Edit, I am considering buying a home in Alameda county where a home has to have the old sewer line replaced when it is sold.
You don't have to replace it, you just have to have it inspected and get a compliance certificate. If you have it completely replaced, you don't need a new certificate for another 20 years, if you otherwise pass (with or without repair) it lasts for 7 years. If the lateral is less than 10 years old, you can get an exemption too.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

Voodoo posted:

I don't particularly enjoy going to the monthly meetings, but they're not that bad and it's the least I can do to ensure that my dues stay low and that I'm in a position to stop dumb poo poo like "no outdoor cooking" from every becoming a thing.
Yeah, this is the key - if you're not participating then the HOAs rules are never going to reflect your needs. Even if you're not going to the meetings, talk & organize with your neighbors, get informed about what is going on and get your drat vote proxy set up.

My HOA is fine because 90% of us participate. Nothing gets imposed on anyone, you either win the vote or you don't.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

Thesaurus posted:

I don't live in an HOA and I like being able to be lazy and do whatever the hell I want with my yard. It's like the wild west. Just replaced most of the yard with rocks, and I only cut the grass/weeds when they are tall enough to be on the city inspector's radar.

My neighbor has a large inflatable pool out year round (even when deflated and covered in snow) and a trampoline with a gaping hole in it (that lots of little kids still somehow manage to use).
An HOA doesn't prevent you from doing any of this this, it's not like there's some universal ruleset that comes into play once the organization is established. If you collectively agree that these things are ok, then they're ok.

Besides, you're still not free, you've just got a different warden - a neighbor could snitch to the city for every imagined infraction, make noise complaints, complain about your animals, sue you over some petty issue, etc. At least within an HOA you've got a framework to resolve those disputes before you bring johnny law into the picture.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi
A sex dungeon above grade is really just a sex room, and the sounds of whips against flesh without the background chorus of a failing sump pump just don't have the same appeal.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi
The only thing I regret DIYing is drywall. It's quite possibly the worst building material imaginable.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi
It's me I'm the new hoa president.

Time to raise dues and outlaw fun.

Actually the first order of business is to help out the lady next door who had to sell her place because of some bullshit 2.5k assessment

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

Leperflesh posted:

"Due" and "past due" are sometimes distinct terms. My mortgage payment is "due" on the 1st, but I set up autopay with them and they actually take my money on the 3rd. And it's not "past due" until after the 15th.
I'm trying to fix our accounting and I want to murder every single person who sends in their payment before the 1st because they think it'll be late after. They're always negative on the aging reports and it makes everything even more unintelligible.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

Leperflesh posted:

Your anger is misplaced. Blame bill collectors (credit card companies in particular) who zealously charge outrageous late fees for being even a single day late with payments. If you tell me my money is due by the 1st, I'm going to get it to you before the 1st if I possibly can. If you wanted my money by the 15th instead, you should have said so.
It clearly says "after X date, pay Y" on the bill stubs.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

Leperflesh posted:

Your accounting software should be able to deal with prepayments. I used quickbooks in 1997 that was capable of doing that, so there's no excuse.
Yeah, that would be great, except the management company that ran things for the past year and a half, and was fired under the new board, didn't turn over their books so we're having to reconstruct everything with disorganized and incomplete sources.

We don't even have real bank records either, just the deposit date and amount with no indication of whose check it was. And that's really awesome since a previous owner never cancelled some automatic payment service and we think the management company was still cashing her checks for a year.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

Leperflesh posted:

There's a place I drive by whenever I'm going to the vet that has a sign out front calling themselves "forensic accountants." Maybe you guys need some of them.
That's pretty much exactly what we're doing. The treasurer has been working at places like Deloitte and Arthur Andersen for like 30 years, so he's got a pretty good handle on it.

Doesn't mean it isn't a shitload of work.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

QuarkJets posted:

But the CC&Rs usually say "payment due by X date". If payment is due by the first, then you'll be getting paid by some people before the first. It doesn't matter what the bill stubs say
It says the 15th there too.

But it's not like it matters going forward. We're moving to direct debit and folks can pay a service fee if they want the privilege of sending their checks in by some other means (doesn't matter since all the units signed up.)

On the other side of the problem, it's funny how being sent to collections and paying late fees never encouraged certain people to ever find a way to pay their dues on time, but you make it look like they're getting a discount and suddenly they're signed up.

krysmopompas fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 28, 2015

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

QuarkJets posted:

In my specific circumstance, it says payment is due on the 1st and late fees are applied on the 15th. I'm assuming that's what yours say, too. That kind of language makes me assume that payment really is due on the 1st, regardless of when late fees are applied.

If you want payment to be due on the 15th, says that it's due on the 15th.
It's a really heavy burden for people to decide when a good time to pay is, so we're moving to direct debit for precisely this reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

PCjr sidecar posted:

I'm glad I don't live in a community where people who can't figure out how to handle a check arriving before the first of the month have direct access to my checking account.
Me too.

idk how I can make it any clearer. We can handle any check in any amount at any time. You can send in your dues in $1 increments if you want, it's not a problem. If you want to be a complete pedant and have your check deposited at exactly 12am on the 1st, that works too.

What is a problem is matching individual deposits to individual accounts with no information besides a date and amount. A check received a week early looks just like a check received a week late, the aging reports can't be trusted, and the fact that Mr. Unnecessarily Responsible has the same dues as Ms. Trustifarian is making reconstructing the accounting a lot more work than it would be if everything between the 1st and 15th was on time and everything else was late.

krysmopompas fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 28, 2015