Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helado
Mar 7, 2004

Gravitee posted:

My husband and I have been pre approved for a loan (YAY) and we want to start to look at houses. How do you go about finding a good realtor? Everyone I've asked either didn't like theirs very much or the realtor they used is in a different county.

I used this:
http://homebuying.about.com/od/realestateagents/tp/Agentinterview.htm

To get me started on questions to ask. Word of mouth is probably easier, but that doesn't always work out either. Just make sure they know where you stand. If you really aren't getting along, I doubt any realtor is going to force you to use them if you're constantly clashing.

Don't be surprised if some Realtors are surprised at the questions you're asking. I had one Realtor who thought I was implying she was a sleazy car salesman by asking all these questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helado
Mar 7, 2004

swenblack posted:

This is one of the warning flags of a bad agent. A real estate agent should know more than anyone the importance of having full confidence in someone facilitating a financial transaction worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Yes, I probably should have clarified. I didn't mean 'this is normal', just that some more than others may take the wrong impression, but that's something one can consider.

edit: As to the forcing you into a house that is more than you want to buy, I guess I would consider the dollar amounts at work. At 3.5% and if they work for a realty company, they probably get half that. So on a sale, $10,000 more is getting them $175. They're probably more concerned about finding a home that you will like than trying to maximize a commission. That's my opinion anyway.

Helado fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 29, 2009

Helado
Mar 7, 2004

FidgetyRat posted:

When I talk to my mortgage guy, he usually sounds like he wants to kill himself, so things are very busy at the moment.. They got hit very hard with refinances lately, and after the rates magically shot up a full 1%, they started getting tons of complaint calls and people freaking out because they just wasted 300+ dollars on home appraisals and now they can't refinance.

Back in January when I signed up for my pre-approval, I heard by the next day.

There's been some interesting commentary online about how the higher rates are going to kill banks that have been backlogged since many refi's haven't been able to lock because the loans haven't been successfully underwritten. Anecdotal to this, every time I've went in to talk to the woman who is handling most of my paperwork, the stack of refi's on her desk has been higher. Last time I was in there it was almost double. They recently put a notice on their website that they are only doing refi's for people who originally had a loan through them.