Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004
Well I did what I always call people idiots for doing: went out and made an offer on a house without even having secured financing. We applied last week and won't hear if we are approved until Wed this week. But we found our perfect house on Friday. So on Saturday we made an offer and they have till 2 today to let us know. Our lender assures us he feels "pretty confident" we'll be approved, but the waiting is killing me. I should know better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004
We have found a house and are under contract. YAH! The curernt owners would like to rent the home back from us for 30 days after closing. We are ok with this, but want to make sure we don't somehow get screwed. We plan on writing up a rental contract, but has anyone actually done this? Or does anyone have any tips or suggestions?

As far as not using realtors, I both bought and sold a home wihtout one and the process was much smoother that it has been this go round with a realtor. Unless the situation is complex(shortsale, foreclosure) I would not use one personally. We kinda got roped into this one, as she's the bosses wife. We found the house, all she appears to have done is forget to schedule things, delaying a process she is supposed to be helping with.

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004
Just stopping by to empathize with you guys who haven't locked rates yet. I learned last week ours wasn't locked and had likely gone up and freaked out. Thank goodness we got it locked yesterday at 6%, which is what we were quoted a month ago when we started this process and is the number I have been doing all my figuring at. I breathed a big sigh of relief. We close Friday! I'm nervous. This new house is a $300 a month jump from what we are payng now in rent. My budget says we can afford it, but I still worry.

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004
Closed this morning! Only hitch was an incorrect middle initial, took about 20 minutes to fix! I'm so glad to be done with it. Bring on the actual moving!

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004
I just wanted to say that the home warranty that I didn't care about when I bought the house saved me ~$400 this weekend on a furnace repair. Get the warranty and don't forget you have it, like I did!

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004
I didn't see a refinance thread, so I'll just ask this here. 12 months ago my husband and I bought a house at 6% interest, giving us a monthly payment of $1503. We can now refinance this loan at 5%, which, by my calculations will save us about $100 a month. Is this a good idea? I think we will be paying about $3500 in closing costs. I'd like to save $100 a month and clearly we would save interest over the 30 years of the loan. I just want to make sure it's worth it to start the loan over and add a bit more in closing costs for 1 percentage point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004
I'm doing a FHA streamline, which apparently doesn't require another appraisal. We might not stay in the house for 30 full years, but we expect to be here a long time, probably at least 15 years. I've checked out a couple of calculators and it seems to take between 1-2 years to recoup the costs. At this point, it seems like a pretty good idea.