Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

moana posted:

Step 2
Check out some online calculators to see what you can afford. One rule of thumb is 2.5x your yearly income. Another rule of thumb says your mortgage payments should be less than 28% of your monthly income, another rule of thumb says your TOTAL debt payments (car, loans, mortgage) should be less than 36% of your monthly income, etc. etc.

I feel kind of stupid for not knowing this, but if the rule of thumb is not more than ~1/3rd of one's income total toward debt, what is the other 2/3rd supposed to be used for? Maybe I'm missing something, but with that much extra income every month, shouldn't you pay double toward the mortgage or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cheesemaster200 posted:

How long did it take tech stocks to rebound after that bubble popped a decade ago? Like I said, just because something took a hit, doesn't mean that said industry is doomed for the next quarter century. We pick ourselves up and get on with it. People still want to own houses, banks still want to make oodles of money with bad mortgages.

But a lot of tech stocks never did rebound. The NASDAQ in particular has never come close to its previous peak.

E: Words.

Kobayashi fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 12, 2009

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Well I guess I can't argue with that!

True, but it did rebound after it crashed, and in an upward motion. And while the NASDAQ never really saw the levels it was previously at, many other stocks and indexes did. Then it crashed again, which was somewhat related to the previous market, but wasn't bound because of it.

What I am trying to get at here, which I think people are misinterpreting as "housing will skyrocket again" is that trying to predict the future based upon a graph is nothing more than a guess. I mean gently caress, isn't one of the main reasons this whole mess got started because everyone used the false logic of "housing prices have only gone up over the last 10-15 years, how can I lose?!?!"

I don't get what you're trying to say here. It's not that the NASDAQ "never really saw" its previous highs, but rather, 10 years later, it's never even come close. Yes, there was a strong uptick over the past 6-7 years, but after the latest crash, it's much, much closer to its 10 year low than its 10 year high. And yeah, the S&P and the Dow did a lot better, but you specifically mentioned tech stocks, so that's why I brought it up. I don't think the major tulip indexes have ever really recovered, either...

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cheesemaster200 posted:

What I am trying to get at with all this is that the future of markets is still uncertain. It may go up, it may go down more. Some markets may see highs, others won't. Earlier in the thread people were making accusations that the housing market has to align to a historical curve that adheres closely to inflation adjusted values like it is a law of economics.
However, I think that there are so many variables with housing markets, that anything could potentially happen. In the context of this thread, making a decision based upon where the market "should" be on a curve is silly because housing prices could go in any direction at any point in time, especially if you consider the massive differences in regional markets.

Well duh, the bog standard disclaimer for pretty much everything is, "past performance may not be indicative of future results." The point people are trying to make is that there is no real, sustained evidence that homes are good investments. Sure we just had a huge bubble, and I guess it's possible it could re-inflate, somehow, but all the evidence suggests that this was a once in a lifetime orgy of free credit and rampant speculation.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cheesemaster200 posted:

The evidence does not suggest that, the evidence suggests that the latest bubble was different than what is was for the last 100 or so years before it. It does not inform you of anything about the future housing market. Making any conclusion based only on that graph does not take into effect any other factor other than "what it previously was".

What graph are you talking about?

Are you seriously arguing that because we can't predict the future with absolute certainty, we cannot make any conclusions at all about the future of the housing market?

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cheesemaster200 posted:

I am not trying to marginalize the trends of housing, but this isn't a scientific experiment where we can make a conclusion from data points observed previously. The housing market is just too large of a dynamic entity. Yes, in the past it was rather linear, but that was before jumbo loans, ARMs, government subsidy for housing, modern mortgages procurement, and tons of other factors which led to this bubble in the first place, factors which aren't going away

I didn't see your edit earlier, but this is just all wrong.

Housing prices have hardly been "linear" over time:
http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2006/08/26/weekinreview/27leon_graph2.html

Jumbo loans and ARMs are most certainly going away.

Gaaaah, do you even have any idea what's been happening over the past 10 years? :psyduck:

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

swenblack posted:

Of course we can't predict the future with absolute accuracy. I don't mind opposing views on where the market is headed, but most of the information you're using to support your argument is wrong. The last major social change in regards to home buying was right after WWII, after Congress had passed several measures to encourage home ownership, including implicitly backing mortgages up to 30 years. That, coupled with the post-war economic prosperity accounts for the large jump in home prices in the late 40's and early 50's. It was during that time when all your "modern mortgage ideas" originated, not in the last ten years.

Yeah, and entities like the FHA were created in the wake of the Great Depression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tap posted:

Alrighty then, thanks for talking me out of it. I'll continue renting until I can make more money.

Yeah, look at Step 2 from the OP. General rule is you can safely ballpark around 2.5x your annual salary. A $250k mortgage puts you at 5.0x your annual salary. Right now you either need to double your income, or halve the loans you're looking at.