Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...

moana posted:

5. Pick your favorite mortgage and get approved for reals this time. Once you're approved, you can lock in an interest rate.
I wanted to expand on this a bit. While you can lock in an interest rate at any time after you're approved, most of the time you will want to wait until you actually have a property under contract. The importance here is having a closing date in mind when you go to lock the rate.

When you lock in an interest rate, it is done for a certain amount of days and there's a cost associated with the length of the lock. Extending the lock is costly as well.

Unless you can say for sure that you are buying a house by a certain date -no matter what- (which is a bad way to buy), it's probably better to lock the rate once you're under contract. Getting the best rate is important, but not as important as getting the right house at the right price and performing due dilligence with inspections.

I have my hands in real estate transactions all day every day and I'm happy to help with the discussion, especially when it comes to inspections, negotiations and contract language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004

FidgetyRat posted:

like requirements on the house itself (extra inspections, stricter limitations, etc).
FHA used to be exceptionally strict on the condition of houses they could accept. They've been easing those restrictions and there are new programs in place that can lump in repairs with the loan, but condition of the home is still a concern when it comes to FHA vs Conventional.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004

Gravitee posted:

My husband and I have been pre approved for a loan (YAY) and we want to start to look at houses. How do you go about finding a good realtor? Everyone I've asked either didn't like theirs very much or the realtor they used is in a different county.
If you aren't able to go with a reference from a friend, family member or coworker, you may have other sources to consider. Your loan officer may be able to refer someone. You may also be able to call up local title companies and ask their escrow officers who they've had consistently great experiences with.

If you do just pick someone at random, be careful about a few things. Your state may be one where exclusivity contracts are optional when working with agents. I'd recommend not signing one. If you sign one of those contracts and things go sour, you may not be able to work with another Realtor for months. In some cases, even if you find another property with another Realtor, the original one gets a cut of the commission. It's a headache.

In any event, I'd be clear with an agent up front with what you expect. You want frequent communication, regular showing appointments that accommodate your schedule, due diligence in the inspection of the home and a clean transaction. Any challenges/bumps/unexpected events should be explained ASAP with an idea of what to expect. I'd also set expectations about staying within your defined criteria.

Do realize that the best Realtors are also the busiest, so it may be tougher to schedule appointments with them. If you're interested primarily in a ready-to-go recently remodeled home, you may not need the best Realtor in town. You may just need one that's free to accommodate your schedule and who's hungry to work hard for you. If you're interested in fixer-upper or foreclosure/short sale options, I'd hold out for the most seasoned agent you can get.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Moana, I offered some advice that was added to the first few posts that may need to be updated. Since the time of that writing, I've moved on from working at a real estate brokerage to working for a consumer advocate group that trains Realtors to be better Realtors.

Here's what I would add to my contributions:

Have Some Flowers posted:

While you can lock in an interest rate at any time after you're approved, most of the time you will want to wait until you actually have a property under contract. The importance here is having a closing date in mind when you go to lock the rate.

When you lock in an interest rate, it is done for a certain amount of days and there's a cost associated with the length of the lock. Extending the lock is costly as well.

Unless you can say for sure that you are buying a house by a certain date -no matter what- (which is a bad way to buy), it's probably better to lock the rate once you're under contract. Getting the best rate is important, but not as important as getting the right house at the right price and performing due diligence with inspections.
Do know that once you're locked in, there are still ways to lower your rate. Some lenders offer a "Float Down" option, typically a one-time offer to lower the rate. Double check the terms, but typically these are good for the borrower.

If rates happen to drop after your lock, your mortgage broker can also switch to a different wholesale lender. They typically won't do this unless the change is drastic, because their rates go up if they do this too often. It makes sense - wholesale lenders give better pricing to mortgage brokers that are more consistent.

The biggest advice that I can offer here is to make sure you get your lock in writing. Ask for a Rate Lock Confirmation Letter. Some unscrupulous mortgage brokers will tell you they locked your rate at great terms while they continue to watch the market, hoping it reaches those terms. If the market never does, they'll probably drop this little bomb on you right before closing know that you won't be able to address it in time.

Regarding choosing a Realtor...

Have Some Flowers! posted:

If you aren't able to go with a reference from a friend, family member or coworker, you may have other sources to consider. Your loan officer may be able to refer someone. You may also be able to call up local title companies and ask their escrow officers who they've had consistently great experiences with.

If you do just pick someone at random, be careful about a few things. Your state may be one where exclusivity contracts are optional when working with agents. I'd recommend not signing one. If you sign one of those contracts and things go sour, you may not be able to work with another Realtor for months. In some cases, even if you find another property with another Realtor, the original one gets a cut of the commission. It's a headache.

In any event, I'd be clear with an agent up front with what you expect. You want frequent communication, regular showing appointments that accommodate your schedule, due diligence in the inspection of the home and a clean transaction. Any challenges/bumps/unexpected events should be explained ASAP with an idea of what to expect. I'd also set expectations about staying within your defined criteria.

Do realize that the best Realtors are also the busiest, so it may be tougher to schedule appointments with them. If you're interested primarily in a ready-to-go recently remodeled home, you may not need the best Realtor in town. You may just need one that's free to accommodate your schedule and who's hungry to work hard for you. If you're interested in fixer-upper or foreclosure/short sale options, I'd hold out for the most seasoned agent you can get.

I'm now taking referrals with a heavier grain of salt. I say this because it's unlikely that your friends or family properly vetted their Realtor before recommending them to you. Most people work with Realtors based on personality rather then competence. The entire profession is a joke, but there are some good Realtors out there for sure.

Make sure your prospective Buyer's Agent can satisfactorily answer these concerns:

Can they help you analyze lenders and GFEs, and point out which fees are legitimate and which ones are junk?
    Do they have a plan for making sure your next home meets your lifestyle, financial and long-term investment needs?
    What is their availability like for viewing homes? What is their typical response time for communication?
    How can they help you analyze your costs of ownership and homeowner responsibilities?
    What is their negotiation strategy, both at the offer stage and the post-inspection repair negotiations stage?
    What process do they follow for performing due diligence when considering a home?
    What systems do they use to ensure a clean contract-to-close process?
    What do they offer you after the transaction to help your home ownership experience? Do they have a vendor referral network or any resources to help you when it comes to repairs or updates to your home?

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004

Uuudar posted:

I see people say this a decent amount, but what does "a long time" generally mean in terms of years?
In terms of national statistics, people change houses every 5-7 years on average.

By age group, younger people change more often and older people less often.

alreadybeen posted:

Ultimate, maybe you or others can enlighten me. What does it matter that type of loan the offers come with. You get the cash regardless so I don't understand.
As someone else mentioned, different loans have different approval processes which make some easier to work with, and others more difficult. FHA houses used to have very strict restrictions on which houses even qualified (and often Realtors wouldn't perform due diligence on that qualification until after an offer was in the works). Ridiculous.

Additionally, not all pre-approval letters are equal. If I see a pre-approval letter from an online mortgage broker for instance, I'm incredibly wary. They have a bad track record of dicking with their clients by upping interest rates at the last moment and kicking deals, or leaving the Buyer looking for another lender days before closing. They just don't care about their reputation so they keep up the shell games.

As a Seller, you combat this with a good agent who asks the right questions to the Buyer's lender during the offer process, or you do it yourself.

Additionally, it's a little weird but we always had tough luck with all-cash offers. The people with that kind of disposable money were always a little flakier or more demanding post-inspection. I can't explain it, but there was something about a 20% down offer, with the rest being financed by a local lender, that just beamed "CLOSING".

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
I wouldn't say FHA loans are necessarily bad for the seller; conventional and VA loans have an appraisal process as well, and often the appraisal value comes in under the sales price. The Seller typically eats the difference and that's just the reality of selling a home in a down market (especially one of the worst markets in the country, Arizona.)

Think in the bigger scheme of things - those FHA loans opened up a whole other group of potential Buyers for that home, which certainly helped the Seller.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Mango, quick question, did you guys do a pre-inspection before listing your home to sell?

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004

Ultimate Mango posted:

Not with a formal, licensed inspector. Our agent did once over visually, and my wife and I know the ins and outs of everything pretty well, save for anything new under the house in the past 18 months (like a plumbing leak or something). They will probably ask about why the water heater is strapped the way it is, but other than that not much should come up.

Heck, we still have our inspection report from 8 years ago when we bought the house, and I think we took care of everything that they recommended save the water heater strap, but that isn't really possible because they want you to tie to two studs, and there is only one stud there.

Why do you ask?
I was just curious if you had - only about 3% of home sellers do this, but I would recommend it in almost any resale case for a few reasons. I know this is the home buying thread but home buying and selling are often related (like in your case).

1. Peace of mind. You know exactly what their inspector will find.
  2. You can use the pre-inspection report as part of your marketing material. Agents and home buyers -love- pre-inspected homes. They just show safety to nervous buyers.
  3. If your inspector finds some small problems? DIY fix them and then make that note on the pre-inspection! Your agent should be able to help you figure out the ROI of doing repairs and improvements on the bigger things.
  4. Inspection surprises are one of the leading reasons why homes fall out of escrow. If the buyer is already experiencing buyer's remorse (and most do to some degree), seeing a laundry list of issues and problems (that all homes have, honestly) could kill the deal.
  5. Almost every Buyer is going to have an inspection - don't be scared to uncover problems with your home, because they're coming up regardless.
  6. Any repairs the Buyers find could cost you much more to fix now then if you had found them before you listed. Contractors will charge you more to work on a closing deadline, and you have less time to shop around and vet references. Of course this is all negotiable with the Buyer.

Your current situation is a great example - you're already in the process of buying another home. Are you going to be in a great position to say "absolutely not" to the Buyer for your current home if they ask for some repairs? Probably not - you need it to sell to move on at this point.
  7. Almost every Buyer will attempt to negotiate the price down after their option/inspection period. Disclosing the home's issues ahead of the time saves you from having to negotiate them later when the Buyer has an inspection report in their hand and they're threatening to terminate their contract and leave you back on the market. If they come at you with those issues you disclosed initially? "You knew about those when you made your offer, as we clearly factored them into our price by disclosing them."

I think it's a $350-450 very well spent. Hell, sometimes you can make your listing agent pay for it by twisting his arm a little.

I mean, I understand that you feel like you know your house very well and you're probably right, but it's not something that a Buyer can accept or that a contract can respect. I guess my next request (if you're up for it!) is letting us know if they come at you with any repair requests.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004

Ultimate Mango posted:

I get it, but really?

Sounds like things went pretty well, all in all. There's nothing gained from taking the home inspection personally, though. He noticed leaves on your roof - you may feel he's pointing out the obvious, but he's liable if something happens to that roof and he missed the reason why. Leaves on the roof will collect moisture and attract pests. Now the new Buyers recognize it.

If he was a bad home inspector, it's going to catch up to him (financially) very quickly. But that's good for you at this point.

If you feel like he ruined your indoor mat, you can make that complaint to your agent (who can pass it along to the Buyer's agent). I bet they will cover the cost.

Sounds like things are going well, though!

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004

Niklas Kronwall 2.0 posted:

Is there any significant difference in lenders? I'm looking for conventional 30 year fixed and have talked to lots of banks and it looks like I'm going to get 5.15-5.25 interest and 800-1100 in bank-related closing costs. The banks are estimating 3000-3500 in all closing costs in addition to inspection, for a 165000 home with 20% down.
There is a HUGE difference in lenders. I recommend "Homebuyer's Beware" by Carolyn Warren. You can read it in one night and it will probably do more for you then any other resource in the process.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
For those that are making little fixes and adjustments to your home, make sure to keep all the documentation and every receipt.

This adds a tremendous amount of value when you go to sell the home later on. Home Buyers have so much more confidence in a home when they see the paper trail for updates, new appliances, fixes, etc over the years.

This does weigh in heavily when Buyers are considering multiple homes. "I like this home because blah blah blah, but I feel way safer about Goonshouse."

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004

Chin Strap posted:

We've been farming (with permission from the owner) on this abandoned lot, and have decided that we would actually like to purchase it. There is a house that is unlivable and needs to come down, and about 2 acres of space.

1) Does anyone know how much a home demolition tends to run? We think we would rather the current owner do it and roll it into the cost instead of deal with the headache ourselves.
Would you be looking to finance the purchase or pay for it out of pocket? The reason I ask is that a cleared lot is much easier for a lender to finance than a dump.

You may want to see if the Seller even has the resources to demo the old house and clean the lot. My guess is that they probably do not if they haven't been maintaining it before now.

Chin Strap posted:

2) Is there some sort of land-only equivalent to a home inspection? What pitfalls are there to look out for? How much does such an inspection tend to run?
Sure there are. Pricing is typically based on the size of the land and the extent of the inspection you're requesting.

But before you even put down money for a detailed inspection of the property, I'd recommend looking into zoning regulations for the land to see if legal farming is even an option.

Often urban and suburban farming are classified as 'business' from a zoning standpoint, which may be restricted in an area that's strictly residential. If you're a few hundred feet from a major sewage line or drainage ditch, you may be looking at health restrictions. And good luck if a HOA is involved.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004

Konstantin posted:

I'm pretty sure at this point a HOA would rather have a well kept farm rather than a rotting house that will be sitting on the market for years. Plus, if the neighborhood isn't too conservative, you could grow organic and sell truly local food to them, which would help smooth things over.
That's possibly the case, but many HOA's are more concerned about strictly following their by-laws than what actually makes sense. My point is: don't assume anything.

Even when you're making a small purchase, you're also taking on the responsibility of owning that property. That includes things like taxes, and what happens when issues arise regarding its maintenance or impact on neighboring properties.

Chin Strap posted:

Well this isn't farming for sale. It is for personal use (and also we are trying to turn it into a community garden but it has been hard bringing more people on). So I don't really think that is an issue. Even if so, our city has pretty good urban agriculture laws spelled out (even allowed to keep poultry and bees!)
That's awesome actually. I live in an area of downtown Austin where there are neighborhood gardens and farmers markets everywhere, and it's definitely a great perk about living here.

I'd just recommend taking an hour or two to do some research just to make sure you're all clear. It would suck to put in months of work farming and gardening just to have a spiteful neighbor call in the city and muck everything up.

Often city websites have map tools that can clarify zoning restrictions, or at least they'll get you contact information for who you should talk to.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
The Wells Fargo flyer does reference a group called Avenue Community Development Corporation for the education requirement, though I think there are other HUD-approved education providers. ACDC has more information about classes and requirements here: http://avenuecdc.org/home-ownership/pre-purchase-education/

There's also mention of online classes ($50) to satisfy Neighborhood LIFT program requirements, so that may save you some time.

My guess is that Wells Fargo can only offer these products to 'informed' home buyers due to insurance requirements resulting from the mortgage fiascos of years past, which is why they're mandating the education component.

Britt I would recommend finding an agent who specializes in helping first time buyers with understanding financing options and incentives that are out there. If you need help, another goon and I just recently started a free service to help connect people with agents who are qualified to help with their specific situations. There are more details in the SA Mart thread here - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3504190.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004

Jose Valasquez posted:

If I was asking $209,000 and you offered me $185,000 I would probably tell you to go gently caress yourself and not even bother with a counter.
The short note here is that it really depends on the circumstances. There's a laundry list of factors that determine whether or not your offer makes sense given the list price of a home:
  • The realities of your local market. Right now (Spring '13) many markets around the country are actually hot sellers markets. Buyers are having to compete heavily for homes - in Austin for instance, a well-prepared home in good condition may have 10 or more offers in its first week on the market.
  • The accuracy of the initial list price. Many home sellers list their home at a certain price based on what they want to receive for their home sale rather than what the market is actually signalling. Sadly, sometimes even if your offer price is realistic, the seller may not be willing to accept the truth and no deal can be struck.
  • The terms of your offer. There are many ways to influence the appeal of an offer outside of just the asking price. The closing date, terms and stipulations within the contract, certainty of closing, non-realty items included in the sale and other items are all part of the overall value of an offer. For instance, allowing the Seller to lease the property back from you for 15 days after closing to give them more time to move out may be hugely helpful to them (and save them lots of money in moving/storage expenses), while being no problem for you. Sellers often take cash offers over better ones that are financed because cash offers are more likely to close, and close quickly. Basically if they're considering otherwise equal offers, better terms can push you over the edge.
  • The seller's situation. This one's a given, but if they really need to sell and you're the only one biting, you may get lucky. I wouldn't bet on this and lose out on a home that is ideal for you, though. See below.
  • A seller's emotional connection with your offer. Sellers are people, and people can become very emotionally attached to their homes. If they can connect with your offer emotionally, and they see some fit with your story and the future of their home, it can certainly raise the perceived value of your offer. This is especially true for someone who has lived in their home for 15+ years and is leaving for unintended circumstances. They want to feel like the next owner of their home will be a good steward like they were. Submit your offers with a personal introduction of yourself/family, and paint a picture of what your lives will be like there, and what you love about it. If they get that picture in their head, it will help you. Make sure your Realtor presents your offer personally to the Seller rather than just emailing it in.
There's one easy situational way to tell if a home is overpriced. How long has it been listed on the market? Any home that is pushing 60 or 90+ days on the market is overpriced or has flaws that are otherwise affecting its value.

Any home that is under 10 days on the market probably won't bend for a low offer. In the seller's eyes, they're still feeling out the market. Even if your price is justified, they'll want to wait and see what happens.

My overall point here is that the better you understand the market and the Seller's motivations and circumstances for selling, the better you can custom tailor an offer with high perceived value to them. A $185,000 offer that is otherwise perfect for them may entice them into a counter offer of ~$204,000 (to let you know they're willing to give a little, but are serious about their price). And then maybe you can work them down to $200,000 with some favorable terms for you as well.

A lowball offer without any consideration for the circumstances of the Seller may actually tick them off and make further negotiations difficult down the road. If you're just looking for a great deal, sure whatever. But if the home really is what you want, don't risk losing it with an insulting lowball. The extra few thousand you may save could easily go the other way if you lose out on the home and have to spend weeks more searching and placing offers on other less-ideal properties. Don't forget what your time is worth in all this.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004

Insane Totoro posted:

THAT'S WHAT I SAID. Who the hell would take that? Is that even..... is there even precedence?
There actually is one common and accepted form of accepting an offer with contingency, and that's when the offer requires the sale of the Buyer's current home.

It's very common for the Seller to then say "Alright, I accept your offer, but I can't wait forever on the off-chance that your home never sells. I'm going to leave the property on the market. If I do get another offer, I'll give you a week or so notice to come up with a Plan B."

Your situation is pretty goofy, though. If you're going to be putting down hundreds of dollars for an inspection, and possibly more if you're having to pay for the survey, appraisal and so on... you really want more certainty than a contract where the Seller can back out whenevs.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004

Damnskippy posted:

Does it play in to the likelihood that a lender will be able to appraise at the higher value? We've been a little worried that our bank would balk and we'd be left in the awkward position of backing out, trying to renegotiate, or coming up with the difference out of pocket.
It does, actually. It's a common practice (even after the deal is under way) to raise the sales price and ask the Seller to pay for closing costs. As others have already noted, it's the same net to the seller and it's a way to allow a cash-strapped Buyer to get more money now at the expense of a slightly higher loan.

However, you typically can't push the sales price higher than the appraised value of the home. Your lender won't allow it.

Also different types of loans also have limits on how much the Seller can contribute in closing costs, typically 3% or 6% of the sales price.

One last thing to be careful about (as a home Seller), if you increase your Sales price for something like the above situation, be sure that you stipulate in the contract that the agent's commission fees will be based on the original sales price. Being told "it's the same net to you," could actually be $500 or more out of your pocket if you miss these details.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
The biggest complaint I've seen routinely with Chase is their speed. Typically lenders shoot to close in about 30 days, give or take depending on circumstances. Chase would have to be pants-on-head slow to not get it done in 75.

As far as comparing different lender's offers, I'd highly recommend picking up a book or two written by Carolyn Warren. Lenders intentionally complicate things in order to hide hidden fees and inflated commissions. Banks are just as bad as the rest in this regard. Carolyn does a good job of breaking down which fees are justified and which are bunk, and how to speak with lenders to sort through the BS.

I've seen people do a great job on negotiating down the price of their home only to wind up effectively paying 5%+ more than they needed to because of smoke and hand-waving from the lender.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004

Pillowpants posted:

Is it normal for the Seller to be there during the inspection? That was kinda awkward.
That's unfortunate. Usually the home inspection is a time where you can ask candid questions of the inspector without having to worry about the home seller listening in or butting in with their story.

You potentially lose some negotiation leverage in this case. If the Seller's aware of the potential faults and issues you may raise at the end of your option/inspection period, they have time to research up some alternatives and options. Normally the urgency of the moment works in your favor here.

It's not all bad. Sometimes having the Seller at the inspection makes the issues more real to them, and makes them more open to accepting repair requests.

The best thing I think you can do now is to schedule a call with your inspector to talk through any questions you felt uncomfortable asking in person since the Seller was there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

The seller certainly has the right to be present whenever anyone is on their property (or any other time). I think it's more likely they'll be there if any of their belongings are still in the house
Oh definitely they have the right to, but you rarely see them enforce it if an expectation is set otherwise by the Buyer and/or agents involved. Typically a listing agent will not want their Seller at the inspection either, because they're likely to give away important information that'll be used against them in post-inspection negotiations.

"Oh, there was a leak there 4 years ago but we fixed it, no problem."

"Yeah my wife's new job starts next month, we have our new house under contract and everything"

When the Seller is there, it's probably just a lack of communication (from the agents) and ignorance (from the Buyer and Seller) that lead to it. If the Seller is concerned about people they don't know in their home, one solution is to have the listing agent or their assistant at the property on the Seller's behalf. The listing agent can stay out of the way of the inspection and typically they just work on their phone or laptop in a room the others aren't in.

Leperflesh posted:

But uh, probably not. Most sellers are worried (or should be) about the inspections, because this is where you're going to find your reasons to either demand concessions/fixes, or exercise your contingency and back out of the sale.
Definitely. This is why a home seller should always get a pre-inspection when preparing their home for sale. Your home's faults will come to light during the Buyer's inspection regardless, and if you do a pre-inspection, you have a chance to cost-effectively address the issues on your timeline and budget rather than at the Buyer's highest point of leverage in the deal.

A Seller can expect to pay about 3x more for something that comes up on the Buyer's inspection compared to if they caught it before listing. The reason is because you will not have time to shop around for the best options and contractors, and they will charge you a premium if you need the work completed in advance of closing. There will be no time for DIY repairs even on little things when you're packing up to move out of the home, and probably in a purchasing transaction of your own for your next home.

Being able to say your home has been "Pre-Inspected, Inspector Certified, Move-In-Ready" and so on helps you to attract value-buyers rather than bargain hunters. It is the best $300 or $400 you can spend when preparing to sell your home.