Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So is the housing market bubble going to pop or what

Not sure if the bay area is a bellwether of things to come, or if it's just in it's own little world. Last time it was the worst hitv area.

Our offer got outbid, and we found another property, it's been on the market for 180 days now which is basically unheard of, we were thinking that our offer of $60k under list seemed pretty greedy on our part, but doing Zillow comps, seems like our offer might be on the high side still

The very best properties are still only on the market for 2 weeks here, but one property we saw dropped their list price by 100k back in August, and then finally closed a week before Christmas, and sold for another 100k below the lower list price

We're pretty eager to buy, but there's not a lot of stock on the market now, we're kind of curious to see what happens this spring when more stock goes on the market if prices hold or continue to drop another $50-100k

The way we're looking at it, why buy now if the market is going to dip another 5-10%, and eat all that depreciation ourselves as the buyer, when we can wait until March, let the seller eat the depreciation and buy then. The market was really hot here through 2015 but foreign investment here, especially all cash buyers, has pretty much dried up, and a lot of new construction stock has been hitting the market lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We are looking at a jumbo loan here in the SF market, one lender has offered us an interesting deal. Most adequate-desirable properties start in the $1.1 range (950 sq ft) and go up to $1.8 (1700 sq ft). Comparable rates can be found in the NYC areas. Going above 750K means you can't get a traditional loan without some kind of modification, or jump in the deep end and get a "jumbo loan" without at least 15% down and PMI. My wife has worked with the guy on four mortgages spread over two properties so his offer is likely legit:

pre approval letter for 1.4mm
5% down
no PMI

two loans to purchase one home:
1. 750k @ ~3% standard mortgage
2. 650k @ ~5% interest only mortgage

Interest only mortgages seem like a real red flag to me, what are the pros and cons here? Seems like we would be building equity at about 50% the rate we normally would. Seems like we could make the minimum payment on the 3% loan, and then aggressively pay down the 5% loan so that we hit 20% equity in 5 years, and then do a refinance of either the entire remaining balance into one lump sum, or if mortgage rates go back up above 4% probably just refinance the interest-only loan to a more traditional 3-4% mortgage.

I think $1.4 preapproval letter would let us bid up a 1.2mm property in a nice sunny tree-lined street in a residential neighborhood up to 1.32mm or so without using up the entire preapproval amount.

Buying a house with a interest only mortgage as 100% of the purchase price seems like a really bad idea as you're basically just renting with no equity stake, and then later they gently caress you with a high interest rate + paying down the principal; but a mixture of traditional and interest-only seems.... slightly less bad. Especially as part of a 5 year plan where you refinance. Ideally we would have 20% down and just do a traditional 30 year fixed but we would like to start a family in a home we own and I don't think we could scrape together the $280k required while the market continues to lurch forward at a rate of 4-8% per year.... better to buy in when you can and then allow the equity to build, refinance when you can later?

Option B is move out of the area and/or commute an hour each way, my wife isn't particularly interested in that solution. I'm also not super keen on moving to the suburbs.

My initial gut reaction seems to be, take the loan, buy the house, overpay on the interest-only loan to build 20% equity in the house within 5 years, refinance the "bad" interest only loan.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 6, 2020

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

zynga dot com posted:

This sounds like a really terrible piggyback mortgage (https://themortgagereports.com/1814...gyback-mortgage), where the lender is just offloading the non-conforming part of the loan into an extremely high profit second loan. One potential avenue is to try to find the second loan on your own. You'd need to satisfy the usual DTI and credit requirements, but you might be able to find a better rate.

Yeah I think this is what I was looking for. I am going to get the full details here shortly, but didn't know what questions to ask, that link covers it pretty well.

The "interest only" loan is expensive but it gets us in the door. I think realistically we would aggressively pay down the mortgage and then refinance in 4-5 years.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Popete posted:

You SF people are insane. Move somewhere else and live like royalty.

Yep

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 7, 2020

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

H110Hawk posted:

Taxable brokerage is the same. It's all under the $24m. Now if you want to talk about prop 13 property tax basis step up... gently caress you got mine suckers.

Yeah prop 13 property tax limits certainly is a plus for us, that we've taken into account for our 15 year plan...honestly I'm surprised anyone would sell in california, rather than just take their existing property and turn it into a rental and pay the property taxes of yester-year on it.

The building we're renting in now last transfered hands in the 1980s they are charging $market $rate $rent and doing the bare minimum to keep the rats out and probably paying $10,000 a year in property taxes for what's probably now a $20mm+ value building. They are printing money. I doubt property values in SF will increase again like they have in the past but even with 4% inflation and a recession thrown in for good measure, over 20 years that compounded 2-3% savings each year, it adds up to a lot.

Looks like there is a possibility that they'll repeal prop 13? But only for commercial/industrial properties, not residential? There would be blood in the streets if homes lost their prop 13 rent control tax control overnight

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

California goons:

What's the skinny on dealing with a property with an SB800 lawsuit? I think very loosely SB800 says that your building has a warranty of X years after construction, so if there's leaks, cracked windows etc the builder has to fix it, and... I guess in classic California tradition, sue them too

I guess if you're buying a property and you've sued them (you're in california, of course you did) then there's some legal BS where the old owners are off the lawsuit and when you buy, the new owners names get added to the suit? That will make the underwriter nervous I'm guessing?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

H110Hawk posted:

If you have an open construction defect litigation going on a property you should expect it to be untouchable by anyone other than cash buyers for lowball prices(flippers.) Why do you ask?

There's two units in the building we're looking at, but they're in some two year lawsuit to fix, uh, six windows and some exterior flashing for one unit, plus uh, punitive fees or something. I feel like the lawsuit is costing the units trying to sell way way more than it's worth to fix these things under warranty. Six pretty average 3x5' windows are expensive, but doesn't seem worth burning up 100k worth of value each on two units to fix. Those are the half truths the listing agent is spinning at least. We're getting disclosures and find out what's up. It's a small 3/2 priced at a 2/2 so I'm sure I wasted my time but we'll find out for sure soon!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

There's 35 units in the building and most of the owners are X so I don't think they are in any hurry to settle, there's like 4 years left on the sb800 statute of limitations so nobody is any hurry. To quote one owner who wandered into the open house, "these things always get resolved, the builder isn't going to risk their reputation on it, I'm not worried about it"

We're gonna get disclosures and look at it some more, it's a steal if we get approved, but also not holding our breath, we're Midway through January and stuff is starting to come on the market in bulk.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

There's way more profit in selling the loan these days than the origination fee, isn't there?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

California home owner goons

Properties taxes are "rent controlled" via prop.... 8?

If we buy a condo, and say the property taxes get assessed at $1000, and then we go into a recession at the end of the year and the next unit in the building appraises for 10% less than our unit, can we petition a new property tax bill equal to the comparable unit... Like say $900? And then lock in on that lower property tax rate for life with the standard 2% max increase

Those are round example numbers but curious how that boils down

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

Prop 13 fixes the state-level property tax at 1% of the original sale price, plus a maximum of (IIRC) 2% increase annually. Ad valorum taxes are extra, so the actual tax raid paid by property owners is more like 1.5 to 2.5% or so depending on county.

If property values fall, your property assessment can go down. I bought my house in december 2009, and in 2010 the county decided my property had fallen in value a bit and my tax rate went down. However, this new lower assessment does not "replace" your sale value for the purposes of prop 13: so in the following year or two when property values recovered, my tax rate went right back up again.

Gotcha it's ultimately dictated by original assesment + cumulative max-2% annual increases

Does moving a house into a.... uh, revocable/living trust(?) trigger a reassessment? Seems like all the fancy folks these days are doing the trust thing, probably for tax reasons.

Sounds like short term paying over assement value screws you on the purchase in terms of cash out of pocket, but probably pays dividends down the road.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Probably the outskirts, you can't buy a single family home for less than $1.1 these days, unless he has a 1/1 condo somewhere

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

LLSix posted:

What is an appropriate age for a child to start helping during a move?

Anything over 4 yo

Children exist to do chores and pay for your care when you retire, don't buy into this new age parenting poo poo

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So how does real estate agents work in major cities?

1) good agents get listings
2) they reach out to other agents to do the bitch work of showing open houses
3) the agents doing bitch work to it for free do it to try and become a buyers agent
4) listing agent gets their 2.5%+
5) buyers agent gets 2.5% for emailing a couple of bank PDFs and filling out the standard real estate contracts

We have been playing this game with a buyers agent for a couple rounds now and we don't see how we're getting any value for the $10k+ this is going to ("indirectly") cost us. We find and view all our own properties and then have the agent send in the offer.

We found a distressed sale that the owner is finally coming down on market price for, considering offering 2% less and waiving buyers fee and doing the offer ourselves. That saves us some money, plus refunds the seller some extra cash because he's a cheap bastard. In the NorCal market 2% is not insignificant. If the listing agent doesn't do that then I guess we'll offer to enlist a new buyers agent and have them email* over the PDFs first for an insane amount of money

What really pisses us off is I found the listing from last fall on Zillow and brought it to our agent to talk to the other agent about and see if they were open to a lower offer. Well they never did that, and then we went to an open house and talked to the listing agent direct and they're saying they only have out six disclosures since last year and yeah they totally will take a lower offer

So gently caress our old agent

*Yes I realize they go through a third party website

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We got one of those Bosh battery powered laser measuring devices

A) it's about the size of my thumb
B) only needs one person to operate
C) one button operation
D) $20 shipped on Amazon

B is the real winner for me. I can accurately size the bedrooms and living room in seconds. We will see 4-5 open houses and coordinating with the wife to string a tape measure across the living room is a pain in the rear end. One button push means you can casually measure everything.

Plus you can actually measure the ceiling height in each room. No more wondering why one living room or bedroom feels more spacious than the other

Totally worth the $20

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Mine is accurate within a quarter inch at 30' real world. I don't super care, as long as it's accurate within ~2" I know whether or not I can fit a king size bed + two night stands along one wall.

So what's the deal with lots next door to your house getting rezoned

We found a condo with near-top floor and a nice patio as part of the step/setback on that floor, you end up with a pretty nice city view that extends several blocks, on the 8th-ish floor

Across the street is a parking lot used for sporting event overflow, my guess is that they will buy out the chain bank on the corner and build a similar 6-15 story building on the otherwise vacant lot in the next 5-10 years, which would block the view and lower the value of the property

Does the developer of the new building have to cover the $ loss of value of the view or is the owner just screwed or what

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

zynga dot com posted:

The asking was $799k and ended up closing at $969k. Based on the market, the original price is definitely underpriced for the location, since it's between two major Metro stations and a 10 min walk to the neighborhood center. I don't know if appraisals track the market like that, but let's say the buyers get an unlikely $900k appraisal - that's still insane and $70k out of pocket to close.

The reality is, of course, is that the seller's agent absolutely knew that it was underpriced and positioned the property the entire time to generate a bidding war, knowing that every one else knew it too and had to bid anyway because the location was too good. Comps are tough in that neighborhood but I think future sellers are going to be pleased.

Are you in the bay area by any chance

We basically take list price, add $25k for every serious buyer/disclosure

Comes out to be $125k over typically. First offer went for $110k over list, second offer went for $130k over list, third offer apparently we didn't bid high enough, was not included in the bidding process, went for $140k over list

We found another property, expecting this one to go $175k over list

If the property is not a lovely one, in a good neighborhood, good light, decent views low total cost of ownership... You will have multiple bidders, agent absolutely is going to work it to get top dollar

We've decided to not let emotions get in the middle of it, set an upper limit, and just keep looking for properties, and bid as they come along. While we're waiting for one to go up for bid, typically we're investigating one serious property as a fall back, wash rinse, repeat

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

zynga dot com posted:

DC area, but otherwise we're experiencing exactly what you are. We're 0 for 4 so far, with everything going for above to significantly above list and contingencies waived.

Apparently some lenders offer a "qualified home buyer" credential that allows to waive contingencies, worth looking into

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

esquilax posted:

The financial difference is, at the end of 15 years you end up owning a whole house. Compared to renting where you own nothing.

This in a nutshell. Home ownership is key to our plan of retiring on time/early.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We are in the bay area and get thrilled when we see an HOA under $700 at this point. Once the HOA gets north of $900 it starts having a negative effect on price.

We looked at one unit that was agressively underpriced by about $100,000; but then found out the HOA was $1499/mo which is equivilent to adding $100,000 to the price of the property, once you look at the monthly mortgage payment.

We like looking at multifamily homes because their HOA are sub $500 sometimes. Typically the HOA includes water/sewer/trash which is $250 in my area, plus internet which is another $50 so you're already at $300. Then factor in the cost of maintenance, preventative maintenance, and acts of god which comes out to $300/mo or so at current labor rates. Also if your reserve fund is too low (40-60% depending on your lender) people won't lend for your property when it comes time to sell so now you're praying a cash buyer will come along and pay not too much below market rate.

edit: also stuff like repainting common areas more often than every 20 years, taking care of landscaping, etc adds up. if you have a hot tub, gym or other high maintenance item it's going to drive the price way way up. the unit we're bidding on next week, the building (300 units) repainted all the common areas and put in all new carpet two years ago at a cost of about a million buckaroonies

double edit: has anyone else wondered why the hell elevator phone contracts in the disclosures cost upwards of $15,000/yr? what the hell. One property manager we saw had an annual salary of $300,000 for ~400 units

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Feb 16, 2020

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Academician Nomad posted:

Alliant is a great national credit union (basically bank but not predatory), though they don't have 2-factor login: https://www.alliantcreditunion.org/ I

Is it even legal to run a financial website without 2FA

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

wolfs posted:

So, I live in Austin. I have no real intention of leaving for the next 30 years or so- if I’m eyeing a few acres in a place like Elgin, Lund, or Coupland (exurbs/country towns about 30 miles east from downtown Austin) how liable is it that in those decades the Austin - San Antonio metroplex engulfs those little towns?

Is that a good thing, if it does happen?

The general trend is for upwardly mobile people to buy in urban areas, which is pushing urban prices through the roof

Katy, TX is 60 miles from downtown Houston. It's possible Austin will grow as big as Houston today but seems unlikely to me. Houston is the global leader in petrochemical, medicine and aerospace, it's also got the network effect of being a top 3 American city by size

Austin has live music and tech. Austin is booming right now but mostly due to lower cost of living and existing tech. It's a tech hot spot but most of the people moving to Austin want to live within 5 miles of downtown

If your 10 acres is near a major intersection or commuter light rail it might be worth something, but I think all that land has already been bought up by developers and/or institutional speculators

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

DaveSauce posted:

We like it here, not much of a racism problem as long as you stay close to Raleigh. I mean, you'll still see confederate flags around, but that's about as bad as it gets.

I lived in Texas most my life and I've only seen Confederate flags on TV. Maybe once it twice in the 90s... You'd get your windows smashed in a week if you put one out. South has a very different opinion on what qualifies as "not very racist"...

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

H110Hawk posted:

I am firmly in the 30 year camp and pay extra if you want to pay less interest. It's purely risk mitigation on my side not absolute interest paid. I like the lower payment.

Yeah exactly. If in 10 years you decide to start a business you can start paying the 30 year rate. Or if you want to buy a boat, different car, lake house, pay for grad school, pay for kids private school etc. There's a bunch of luxuries that each cost about $1000/mo. Also gives you the option to work part time to help care for a sick spouse/parent etc run

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What is the most unusual thing you've heard of happening, once a house moves into underwriting

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If you're gonna do an international wire transfer, do it 60-90+ days before you apply for a pre-approval

Any gift is gonna raise a flag, domestic gifts are easy

If the gift has been in your account for two full billing cycles it's more likely that it's actually a gift and not just a shifty loan

We haven't closed yet but nobody has asked us for statements older than 90 days so far

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Our condo appraisal came back at exactly offer price.

Appraisers are grossly overpaid, I wish I knew this was a career option in my 20s

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We are in a weird situation, we are looking at doing a lovely rate now to close the deal (already in contract), eating a high % for 5-6 months and then refi in the fall. The market here is really competitive and we have a good deal on a large property we can actually raise a family in for 10+ years

We can afford/absorb the lovely rate indefinitely, but a refi would give us a lot more breathing room

I don't see rates going above 4% until next February? It's possible (anything is possible) but seems unlikely. If rates go to 4.5% over the winter, we will be fine we'll just have to skip the two week international vacation next spring I guess?

Eating the high rate for a few months seems reasonable if we can comfortably afford it?

Otherwise, we exercise our contingency and wait until ~September to begin the house hunting process from scratch again

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 17, 2020

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So if hypothetically we live in a 800 sq ft 1 bedroom apartment and have a baby on the way, eating the higher rate for 12 months is not totally unreasonable to move in to a 3bd/2bath?

I feel like at the 18 month mark credit markets should un-seize, and, if they don't... then that would weight the decision towards buying now so we're not drowning in diapers and baby poo poo in our tiny box of an apartment?

We are lucky enough to not work in the service industry so should be fairly protected.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

Dude's nervous that the entire market is about to collapse because of covid-19 and wants you to buy a house before you decide your job is toast or you can't afford it or you're just going to hunker down.

Yeah

This came out of one of the two covid-19 threads

Real estate people are freaking the gently caress out right now that winter is already here

At least with the 2008/2009 crash, there was 3-6 months of warning; this time the entire universe just spontaniously imploded, and because it's viral, not financial in nature, AND it's not the flu.... nobody has any idea how long this is gonna last. 1918 flu looked like it was cured, but then after six months fall came around and killed 2x as many people

Housing market is about to drop off a cliff

Really looking forward to buying at the peak of the market instead of 8 months from now at the bottom :toot:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

I had a really good realtor who was super patient as we looked at 40+ houses - foreclosures - back in 2009. He was based in Piedmont which is a pretty fancy expensive enclave city within the city of Oakland (seriously look it up, it's bizarre), we were shopping way below his typical client's price (max $250k was our budget), he didn't care. Was just friendly and joked with us and shared stories and helped us out constantly and made time for our dumb questions. We started shopping for real in ~june, made one offer in early november, and made a second offer on another house in december that was accepted, so he put in six months of occasional work for us for what must have been one of his smallest commissions the entire year.

He sent out annual christmas song mixed CDs to all his former clients every year. Custom ones he made himself, with a custom card.

He died this past winter of brain cancer. :negative: Pour one out for Doug Fuller, he was a real one. https://dougfuller.net/

Sounds like a pretty stellar guy, downloaded his 2019 holiday mix

We've come across about three agents out of probably, literally, 500 that did not piss us off. One, the first is pretty junior, gave him a try but had to move on; second is an INTJ type lady but she knows her poo poo and knows what rules to bend to make the deal work, third is some Doug Fuller type person we met at an open house, we have his card

I bought one of those $15 business card/rolodex holder things and have been putting every business card I get in it. It's been surprisingly helpful. I take photos on my phone of some cards, but that physical file has been priceless.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We are shelter-in-place, somehow managed to get an appraiser to look at the house yesterday, ought to get the report today

Apparently they are being rule-bendy and it might be a "drive by appraisal" using recent photos of the interior to confirm the property wasn't used to sacrifice goats, or something

Not sure how movers is going to work, probably pay in cash move first ask questions/forgiveness later

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'm on the edge of my seat seeing what's going to happen with this. My mortgage broker is saying that Fannie/Freddie are going to make a call on whether drive-by appraisals are kosher tomorrow morning at 10am.

I am kinda guessing they say yes because basically 1/3 of the geographic area of the country is already in shelter-in-place if not mandatory quarantine and it's only going to spread from here, and if they don't it'll essentially freeze mortgage lending for an indeterminate period of time (at least 2 months if not 3) and that will have huge repercussions for the housing market, the broader economy, and Fannie/Freddie's balance sheets.

If they say no then get ready for housing prices to plunge, not that they aren't going to already given like 1/4 of the country is going to be out of work next month. But making housing essentially illiquid would be incredibly bad.

At this point we're kind of up in the air about whether we want the appraisal to come back good or bad.

Good = we bought at top of market, right before recession, but gonna raise a family in it for 16 years so :shrug:
Bad = I guess we'll pull the contingency lever, and buy after the market correction at a much better price, but now we're competing against a bunch of equally desperate young families trying to buy a 3 bedroom condo in a hyper competitive market

edit:
Medium: comes back slightly below ask, and we get a nice haircut off of our offer price and the owner just eats it to get this financial monkey off his back, and our tax rate is locked in at a lower level for life

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My area is seeing 40% drop in new listings

I've seen a handful of 3-7% price drops so far, one was a house we looked at, at the same price as ours, we thought it was slightly overpriced to begin with

My guess is that people who don't have to sell, are gonna sit this out

The good news is that investors are out of the market until this settles down, probably

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We switched lenders and are paying the seller ~$2000 usd to keep the deal going, we bought three new contingencies in our purchase offer with it, saving us the ~40k earnest money deposit. Worst case scenario we eat two grand and wait for the market to settle a bit, seemed like a reasonable bet at the time.

Wild fuckin' west right now

If I were not on a strict timeline for family tihngs we would probably be waiting for september

I don't see any of this blowing over before end of July. Italy is in the thick of it and saying to hold tight through August 1. Everyone else is a week behind Italy. New York is the pidgeon about to get sucked into a turbine jet engine. The market will be a lot more clear in about 3 weeks once the looting and rioting has run it's course.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Our lender hasn't released our appraisal and the sellers agent says the lender ordered a second appraisal. Lender has been ghosting us, appraisal came back Tuesday

Our guess is that the appraisal came back low. We're ok with this, but feel like they ordered a second appraisal so that we wouldn't try and negotiate a lower offer and kill probably their last deal for months. We want the lower offer, we're buying at the top of market, would not mind buying in September after the market craters.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Our lender hasn't released our appraisal and the sellers agent says the lender ordered a second appraisal. Lender has been ghosting us, appraisal came back Tuesday

Our guess is that the appraisal came back low. We're ok with this, but feel like they ordered a second appraisal so that we wouldn't try and negotiate a lower offer and kill probably their last deal for months. We want the lower offer, we're buying at the top of market, would not mind buying in September after the market craters.

Appraisal came back at exactly our bid. Again.

New lender is a fairly competitive rate, closing costs are like 12% of the other guys, cash to close is like $90,000(!!! not a typo) less as well, and he's not dicking us around for weeks on end like the first guy

Got an email this morning saying we have initial approval from underwriting, whatever the hell that means. We don't have any weird skeletons in our financial closet and they already have all our paperwork so should be straightforward... Knock on wood

Also... It looks like we had the option to waive tossing our property tax into escrow (?) so we opted not to do that. We're really good about budgeting, usually within $100, each month so we'd rather have cash on hand and pay the city directly. We'll see if they actually let us do this.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ok apparently we have been approved, this one lender has more flexible rules, now we are racing in escrow/final underwriting to close before financial markets totally collapse.

Looks like we will close with about a 4% interest rate

Wife's mom's rental property will show up as rental income rather than debt starting in August, which will push our debt to nearly zero, since we paid everything off in Dec/Jan

Once our DTI is near zero, should be able to refinance in the fall at, hopefully, a 3.75% rate, maybe lower? 30 year fixed, or 10 year arm, or whatever. You can't time the market but once you get above 500k home value, I would imagine a quarter percent is worth a chunk of money. I haven't done the math yet.

Apparently this program requires two appraisals? Seems very unusual. Second appraisal should come back April 1 and then we get clear to close by the third

We will check out that homestead credit, neat. Any other California tax tricks? I know we can write off up to X value of our mortgage interest, in relation to a 750k limit on home value. Hopefully that is adjusts up some day, although probably not

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 27, 2020

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ok so we have been tenatively approved

The underwriter is asking for documentation on some obscure field on my wife's tax return, litteally labeled "other", less than a thousand dollars, we're sending over some signed letter saying we don't have documentation for it. My guess is that we sent over a mountain of documents and they need to show that there was some correspondence, or whatever. This stuff happens.

Apparently the second appraisal is required, so that happened, supposed to get back the second appraisal soon

This will be the third appraisal, likely the same as the first two

I really wish I knew real estate appraisal was a career option in my 20s. Jesus. I know what I'm doing when I retire.

We exceeded our 30 day whatever so we agreed to a $75/day fee past whatever... Probably close to $1500 when all is said and done. Mostly to cover HOA fees

Supposedly should be clear to close "early next week".... From my experiences thus far the whole underwriting thing is stuck in the 1940s... Paperwork gets submitted... Initial turn around is 7 days... Then you get requests for info... They expect you to take 24 hours... Then they take 24 hours to respond... Every interaction is a 48 hour delay, in a world where PDFs are emailed in seconds.

Underwriting should be a 90 minute process start to finish, holy hell. There's just not that much to it. Too much time allowed for back and forth.

I worked for an old school company like this back in 2006, I didn't realize people still work like it's the loving middle ages.

I'll be very pleased when this is said and done and have some equity in the house. Having zero leverage in the process is not pleasant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Got notification from our loan originator that including state required three day waiting period, should be on schedule to get keys Friday afternoon

Given the current state of things until this goes to the county recorder, just gonna assume that they're lying to my face about the whole thing to keep me from jumping off the ledge

Assuming they are not lying, it's probably going to take the furniture staging people a couple days to move the staging furniture out, and who the hell knows if we can get movers to show up before May. Technically businesses whose function is to ship or deliver goods directly to businesses qualifies as essential in my city. Would love to get the hell out of my current apartment with it's broken elevator (since Halloween!) by middle of April.