Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

My motherfucking credit score dropped 50 points in the last month because it happened to calculate when a couple cards were close to maxed - they weren't carrying any balance and they've been paid in full every month for the last forever, minus one month where a couple hundred carried to the next month and then was promptly paid off.

How much is that going to gently caress us? It's in the 650's now. I could just wait it out til it ideally goes back up once everything updates if I had to, and just not use the stupid cards for a while. I tend to use them quite a bit to get the points and then just pay them off completely, which apparently is a stupid loving idea. We'd rather buy a house now though. I put in the mortgage application tonight, so I guess I'll find out soon how hosed I am from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I have plenty of credit history, although it was fairly bad for a number of years and has been recovering nicely over the last 3. I don't have very high credit limit, only like 5-6 thousand over 3 cards, and occasionally I'll have about 2-3 thousand on them if I bought a lot of crap. I suppose I could just pay it off more frequently rather than once a month. We do have a 175k down payment here so I'm hoping it won't be a big deal - I guess I'll find out soon. I requested a 15 year FRM for a house between 200k and 325k.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

For someone who is capable of saving up $175k in cash, a credit limit of $6k is ludicrously small. I have a hell of a lot less money than you, and my combined credit limit across my various cards is something on the order of $50k... and that's after I closed four or five accounts a few years ago.

I think given you're putting $175k down on a $325k house, you won't have an issue qualifying.

Technically, I didn't say I saved the 175k, just that I have it. I should talk to Chase and see if they'll up my limit. Part of the problem here is I flirted with bankruptcy about 7 years ago due to medical bills and so forth. Didn't file, but came dangerously close and had to cancel a bunch of cards and negotiate with them for payment plans with 0% interest etc, plus I had some false credit hits from our cable company (gently caress those guys) that all combined to sort of make my credit a mess. It's been recovering quite well over the last 3 years since I got a stable job and health insurance.

What I'm concerned about with increasing my limit on my Amazon card is that I'll take yet another credit check hit which will lower it even more. It's at $2500 right now and it's the main card that I use.

What to do, what to do.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Oh, you definitely should not open or extend credit or anything like that right when you are applying for a loan. That's a red flag.

Was the $175k a gift from someone, or an inheritance? Because the lender will require you to document it, if so.

Early inheritance. It's fully documented and the bank was made aware of its source.

And waiting to buy a house is impractical for a number of reasons that would take too long to explain. It makes financial and general sense for us to buy now. About the credit cards, I'm not carrying balances around, I'm paying them off in full each month. I just should apparently pay them in full every week, I guess.

Edit: By bank, I mean credit union that I've been a member of for 15 years.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Update: Looks like we've been pre-approved for up to a $325k home, which is good news. That's on a 15 year FRM. Need to figure out some more details, and then it's time to go house shopping!

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

OneWhoKnows posted:

Was there a significant rate difference between your 15-year fixed and a 30?

I'll have that info when I speak to her at 4. When I met with her yesterday to compare rates, the interest paid on the 30 year was around 93k, versus 40k for the 15 year. The monthly payment difference for the 15 was 300/mo more than the 30 year. It seems crazy to go with a 30 year if we can afford the 15.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

silvergoose posted:

Yeah but if you're planning on paying it off in 15 or less, the top interest number for the 30k is waaaaaaay smaller. If being able to pay $300 less in a given month could save your bacon sometime (random emergency torps your emergency fund and you don't have enough without liquidating some investments but can hang on with a lower mortgage payment for a couple months), then it might be worth a bit of extra interest for the flexibility.

That's what we did, at least, and don't regret it; probably paying it off in less than 10 years, but just having the flexibility is...nice.

Nah, we should be OK. We're able to afford the payments quite easily solely on a single income, so if one of us loses a job, we're still very clear. Including escrow for insurance/tax stuff, the monthly payment is $1400/mo give or take if we buy a house for the full $325k. There's no PMI with the huge down payment. Right now, we're easily able to afford rent of $1400/mo on just my income, so even with the extra utility costs I'm not expecting trouble on a single income. Plus, unless something goes horribly wrong, we'll have a second income that we're basically throwing into the bank for a rainy day.

Edit: of course there are still risks, but they're unlikely, and honestly we have another safety net if we absolutely need it.

ssb fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 22, 2014

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

silvergoose posted:

No real reason to go with the 30 year, then; I'm on one (good) income and while we have a ton saved away, invested, sitting around...still wanted the extra flexibility and with tax writeoffs of the slight bit of extra interest, decided on the 30 year.

What would be the benefit of going on the 30 year and just making higher payments? The percentages look worse ( http://www.uwcu.org/HomeLoans/Default.aspx ) and I see little benefit unless we have a big setback.

Edit: Explain it to me like I don't know anything. It's not accurate but it'll make sure I understand clearly.

ssb fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 22, 2014

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

silvergoose posted:

Again, the flexibility of paying less in a given month or stretch is the only upside. If you don't see that as enough of an upside to justify the small rate increase (seriously, if you're paying it off in the same time, you're really not paying much more interest), that's completely your decision and it sounds like you can make that decision quite comfortably.

It's definitely not a one-size-fits-all, to be sure.

Oh, ok. I thought there was something else here that I wasn't thinking of. A full point and the safety net we have in the worst case, poo poo hit the fan scenario means I think I'd like to stick with the 15 year. I really value hearing other options that I may not have understood though, so thank you for explaining it. I'd rather look stupid and ask too many questions than think I know everything when there's no loving way that I do.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

silvergoose posted:

No worries whatsoever! It's a very valid question, and for a lot of people, the flexibility is worth the rate increase, especially when planning on paying it off in 15 years or less. And for some, it's totally not worth it. Either way, valuable discussion to have.

I'll discuss it with the credit union when I call them in a half hour to get their take on it. Flexibility is something, even if it's only $300/mo, and it's worth solid consideration.

Honestly, we had ruled out buying a house until a year after my wife starts her new job to make sure it works out and everything, but with the trouble we're having finding an apartment that'll let us have 3 pets (they either hang up on us or charge us a ludicrous monthly fee and double/triple damage deposit for having a miniature schnauzer and 2 declawed cats, which is bullshit) and the fact that we can put such a massive down payment in makes buying look very attractive so long as we can do the payments comfortably on a single (my) income. PMI would probably have made that scenario uncomfortable, but we won't need it, so...

It's still very overwhelming and rushed feeling to me, but considering the scenario, I think it's a calculated risk for us to buy. Plus, $325k is more than we're planning on spending. We've seen a number of promising houses in the 275k range, which means we'll be taking a $100k mortgage rather than a $150k mortgage, which makes it even easier.

Edit: /\/\/\ is a good point, but I'm not about to start speculating on dollar values, because if I count on it then we'll have some sort of anti-inflation thing done where it's completely backwards from that. Never mind that it's not possible.

Edit 2: I talked to the credit union. There's no real benefit to going with the 30 year over the 15 year, aside from the aforementioned flexibility, and the downside is that extra point of interest. We'll stick with the 15 year I think. Also, our rate isn't locked until we have an accepted offer, as they need an address to lock it, but it'll lock to whatever it says on the website that I linked above. The credit rating didn't matter with the down payment size that we have, as it turned out. Still irritating though. All in all, we look good, and now it's time to find a house! I'm simultaneously super excited and also super horrified about this whole thing.

ssb fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 22, 2014

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

So we're going to see the house that's by far on top of our list tonight. If we like it, we're offering the asking price on the spot. Which seems stupid, but we'll only make it valid til the 31st. The house has an open house on the 1st that we'd rather not have happen and risk a bidding war. We're comfortable with the price, and $5-10k isn't worth the worry/potential bidding war, so we said gently caress it and will just offer the asking price and just try to avoid the risk.

Let's hope we like it as much as the pictures on the inside indicate - we already looked at the outside and were quite happy. If we had a close second place and weren't on a short schedule, we probably wouldn't do this.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

pragan4 posted:

What's the standard length for contract acceptance in your area? 4 days seems pretty generous (on all of our offers we gave 24-36 hours before the contract expired).

There are two downsides to offering more time than necessary: you give the seller more time to get another offer and you lock yourself up in case another house you like comes on the market.

Good point - I'll discuss that with the realtor tonight. I didn't even know til yesterday that you could reasonably limit an offer to that short a time frame (I was thinking 4 days was short - what do I know, I guess.) Thanks.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Incredulous Dylan posted:

Received an email today from the closing department stating "oh hey, even though we are two days away its worth mentioning your master insurance policy doesn't include flood insurance and we only just noticed". No flood, no condo. The condo association is ran by this incredibly old woman who keeps specific hours that do not include today, so there was no way to contact her and find out what's what. After calling around the different departments, it was actually my crazy insurance guy who had the idea of calling the agency which handled the association's insurance and finding out from them if they also issued a flood policy. I had to call a information service and pay $20 to have them email me everything related to the policy, but included was a FEMA letter grandfathering the condo out of a flood zone. Victory! (?)

I thought the only way to get actual flood insurance was to get it through the National Flood Insurance Program?

PS We made an offer for the list price on the house last night. They have 48 hours to accept. I think they will. Until then, fingers crossed.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

couldcareless posted:

I believe when it comes to flood insurance, the NFIP oversees and sets rates, but the insurance can be offered by any given insurance provider. Unlike homeowners, though, the flood insurance will always remain the same rate despite different providers as the rate is produced using some magic formula involving the BFE of your area on the flood maps, your elevation provided by an elevation survey, and the size of your house and amount of contents you want to claim.

That might be what it is - it's provided or whatever by NFIP but brokered by your insurance company, maybe. I'll see if I can find out more, I have a pretty good source for insurance stuff.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

shortspecialbus posted:

PS We made an offer for the list price on the house last night. They have 48 hours to accept. I think they will. Until then, fingers crossed.

Our offer was accepted! We are so friggen excited right now. Now to finish financing, get inspections, deal with insurance, and everything else. Lots of work to do but we can at least relax about someone else swooping the house.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

We're closing July 9 if memory serves and our lease goes til end of September. We'll either eat the rent or try to sublet starting Aug 1 for 2 months. It'd be nice to not lose $2700 to unneeded rent, but it won't kill us.

Edit: looks like we're locking in at 3.125 for 15 year.

Edit 2: August -> September

ssb fucked around with this message at 15:10 on May 30, 2014

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

a shameful boehner posted:

\/\/ - Wow, that's an incredible rate. I remember talking to my loan officer about interest rates and him recalling that mortgages carried 12-20% interest in the 1980s. Of course, your average home didn't cost $200,000 then either, but well..

15 year rats are pretty solid. The 30 year rate is around 4.1% from our credit union ( http://www.uwcu.org/HomeLoans/Default.aspx )

It helps that we have a down payment that leaves us only getting $110k of mortgage on a $280k house - they don't really gently caress around with you at that point and the terms are really straightforward and easy to understand, at least so far.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

skipdogg posted:

Interest rates change daily and they've gone down in the last 2 weeks.

I said gently caress it and locked at 3.125 for the 15 year. It might go lower, but I'm not a gambling man and on $110k of mortgage over 15 years, I'm happy with the rate I got and it's not going to make much of a difference anyways. I thought about it, because they kind of are trending down, but it's probably not worth it in my case.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Reading this thread I feel for a lot of you guys. I ended up unexpectedly in an extraordinary lucky and fortunate situation with a large down payment and the amount of liquid cash I'll still have at closing. A good friend of mine is closer to most of everyone's situation with a modest down payment and no real money left over afterwards, and it's a lot more of a struggle to do everything. gently caress, another friend and her boyfriend can't even buy a house at all, even with a significant down payment, because his credit is below the bare minimum for financing and her income isn't enough to cover any reasonable mortgage alone, so she can't buy it without him. His income is plenty though. It's a poo poo situation. Buying a home should be a lot loving easier for everyone to accomplish.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Inverse Icarus posted:

Among families with two high-income earners, it's sometimes smarter to not get married, tax-wise.

That's part of it, also both of them have no interest in being married. It's completely unrelated to buying a house, because it wouldn't help them even if they were married.

And, something was bound to go poo poo in my situation, and I think it just happened. I had been given confirmation over the phone by the telecom company that provides service to the house that they offered DSL that was fast enough for my needs for work/etc. They confirmed up and down that it was available and double checked. They've changed their mind and claim that all they offer for that location is dial-up, and they have no record whatsoever of my previous call. As decent internet was a "MUST HAVE" requirement for the house, we're now stuck buying a house with no internet. There's satellite, but that's not really going to work for what I need it for, so this is a complete loving disaster and I can't do anything about it. We didn't write "internet speed" into the contract anywhere, so I think we're just utterly and completely hosed.

Of all the poo poo that could go wrong, this is probably near the top of the list because there's no real way to work around it. I'll have to find a way to make satellite work I guess, but it's not going to so ughhhhhh.

ssb fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 30, 2014

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

We'll see what happens. It turns out it may have internet after all and the telco is just loving incompetent. They're going to do a survey shortly to try to figure it out - apparently this address doesnt exist in their system and the "nearest" has just dialup, but a non-existent address 6 numbers off, that in theory would be about 1/3 block away, has 15mbit DSL which would be just fine, although not ideal. I may also try to bribe them and see what happens, or try to figure out something with a microwave dish.

I don't exactly work from home, but I work from home often enough that this is kind of a big problem. I can deal with latency, because a lot of what I do is just over terminal, which honestly dialup is nearly good enough for. I do occasional remote desktop to use the awful ticketing system though and that needs VNC. Which isn't really good on satellite either. I can just figure something else out for steam downloads and the like which is a lot of my traffic.

The depressing thing is that we'd need to cancel netflix and hulu and NHL Gamecenter Live and the like.

I guess we'll see what happens with the survey. I'm not sure if I have any legal recourse here because their website claims that the house has 15mbit service, so regardless of a call or not, the website loving says it if you look up the address.

*sigh*

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I don't do online gaming much these days, but streaming poo poo is kind of a thing, as well as downloading way too many drat steam games. The latter I can easily do at work and stuff them on a USB stick or whatever, so that's not much more than a minor annoyance. Work is 90% terminal but that other 10% is kind of a thing. We'd be able to make do, but I guess we'll find out if we have to. It'll definitely be a bit of a thing.

As far as why they're not getting married, they're plenty of committed to each other. It has nothing to do with that. Both just don't see the necessity for marriage. One of them also refuses to even consider getting married until their gay friends are allowed to get married because it's bullshit that they can't. Mostly, though, it's because neither one of them has ever felt the need to get officially married to show commitment to each other. Whether or not they should buy a house has fuckall to do with marital status.

ssb fucked around with this message at 07:39 on May 31, 2014

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

The current owner of the house was at the well/septic inspection today (which went swimmingly - apparently it's a very good setup on both fronts) and I asked him about the internet. They do indeed currently have 15mbit DSL which works just fine, and I figured out why the local telco is so loving confused as well - apparently the address changed a couple years back, so the phantom address that has the service is actually this house. So we're good to go on that front. I'll still let them do the survey on the line or whatever, but that's a load off.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Elephanthead posted:

So if you don't sign it are they canceling the sale? Tell them to pound sand. Why is the seller emailing you documents directly? Sounds like you are buying a mold death house.

I'd talk to my realtor or my bank if that happened, but I'm not sure how that would apply in your situation. Either way I think the proper response is ultimately going to be "get bent."

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Turnquiet posted:

We checked around and ultimately told them to get bent since the transaction has already gone through ratification. This is just corporate BS from the relocation company's legal department that they wanted to have taken care of when they take possession of the property from the owner to complete the sale to us- something outside of our real estate transaction. We told them that the document as written leaves us with no recourse and the only way we would sign it is after the owner has vacated and we have done our final walkthrough. They can bluster all they want but they are over a barrel on this one.

Them sending me a waiver of liability after mold remediation made me raise my eyebrows, but we have been inside, outside, and upside down the guts of this place. The "mold" spot in question was just a spot of fungus from a damp spot in the attic where their roof needed repair (and the repairs were done). They hit it with some treatment via a licensed mold remover and we have letters, seals, warranties and all sorts of poo poo from that company on that front.

Personally, at this point of the transaction, there is no way that I would consider signing any document of that sort even if it's modified a bit, before or after closing.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Home inspection complete! Nothing at all major. There's some minor electrical poo poo that needs dealing with (a couple labeled GFCIs don't trip anything, and there are a few odd loose wires in the unfinished part of the basement but nothing major) and the one "big" thing is that the fan on the water heater, the bearings are shot, it makes a racket, gets really hot, and doesn't seem very reliable - we had to cycle the power to get it to run again after running it for a bit, draining the tank by running lots of hot water, and then waiting for it to turn on. 30 minutes later it needed a power cycle and then it went fine, so hopefully they'll get that fixed for us. I don't think they'll fuss much - it's probably covered by the home warranty from the looks of things, but I really don't have a clue how those work.

Either way, everything important seemed pretty solid, so we're optimistic they'll just fix all the minor poo poo, or if I have to do it it'll be cheap and easy for me to do.

Quite pleased at the moment. Got the bank their paperwork yesterday, so now it's basically just wait around for a while for that to get approved etc.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

spwrozek posted:

My experience is they excluded anything that is known to have problems based on the inspection report. I guess if you paid a lot more they will cover it though. My agent bought it for us as a gift.

I don't know much (or care that much, honestly) about the home warranty - we found out that it existed and was bought by the sellers after we had already decided to buy the house, so it wasn't a selling point. The ~literal worst case~ scenario here is that we spend about $300 out of pocket to replace the stupid fan ourselves. It's probably cheaper than that, honestly, but I said ~literal worst case~ so I'm not going to sweat it much. The sellers thus far have been pretty cool about everything anyways, and the one I met was a pretty cool guy, so I wouldn't be surprised if they just get it fixed since it's borderline a required fix, as a major house component isn't really working properly. We'll find out I guess. I think the last tests remaining are the water tests and the radon test.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Ugh - Radon is 11.4. Not supposed to be higher than 4.0. Guess we start talking to the sellers about getting a mitigation system installed. It's definitely fixable but they probably aren't going to be happy about this.

Edit: Looking at the state DHS site, this is not at all uncommon for this particular portion of the state.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

adorai posted:

Assuming you spend 24 hours a day in the basement. Most people don't spend more than a few hours per day in the basement. I go into mine to check the sump pump and grab things from storage.

In their case, the only thing down there that they actually used was a pool table. In our case, that's where the home theater stuff is going, so poo poo needs to be fixed.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Speaking of gutters, what are some options when rainspouts come down directly on a sidewalk with no clearance between it and the house, if that makes sense? The house we're buying has 2 drainspouts that can't really be piped anywhere without blocking the sidewalk, and with the sidewalk going adjacent to the house, piping it under and through a tube under is going to be a pain as well. The only thing I can think of is jackhammering a channel and lining it with something and putting a grating or something over it to create a tunnel in the sidewalk itself, and then try to hose it away after the sidewalk (the sidewalk is on a bit of a hill so that's plausible, I think.)

Does that sound like an actual option? Are there any better options that aren't "just block the sidewalk?" I don't know if moving the downspouts is really an option either, and I can't picture extending the downspout away from the gutter at the gutter level and having it come down without building some sort of arch or truss work for stability.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

slap me silly posted:

I have a similar situation, and cutting a channel for a drain grate was what I figured was the right solution. I have never gotten around to it because it seems like such a giant pain in the rear end. If you do, don't gently caress up your foundation with the sidewalk being so close to the house.

I'll probably have someone who knows what the gently caress they're doing help with that, because I sure as poo poo don't and I tend to shy away from things that I don't know what I'm doing if they may end up costing more to repair than they would have to just do it right in the first place.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Edit: I probably don't know what I'm talking about so I shouldn't act like I do. Deleted my post. I'll leave the last sentence up:

The concept of co-signing for a house scares me, though.

ssb fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jun 11, 2014

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Sataere posted:

So I finally got the HOA rules and regulations (after three loving weeks) and I'm still waiting for the financials. Can someone tell me what I should be looking for in regards to rules? Is it just seeing if what they require is to my satisfaction, or are there other things I should be keeping an eye out for?

Pretty much make sure it's not full of poo poo you can't abide by. My friend is in one that has rules about visitors - they can't park in the driveway or on the street. They need to park in a parking lot about 5 blocks away and walk. You're also not allowed to have outdoor parties with more than 4 guests. You aren't allowed to do any maintenance on your car that's visible from the street, so it needs to be garage-door closed stuff. You can bring your car into the driveway for washing, but that's it - it needs to be in the garage otherwise.

He made the mistake of not reading it before he moved in, and now he can't sell. That one's pretty loving obnoxious but a lot of them are full of poo poo like that.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

SlapActionJackson posted:

It's too much house. You can probably find someone to do it if you shop around, but prime, conforming loans want your PITI to be no more than 28% of gross. What other debts do you have and what's their minimum payments as a % of gross monthly?

Our mortgage alone on the house we're getting is 13 percent of my gross annual income (pretax, pre-deductions.) With property taxes and insurance added to the mortgage, and taxes deducted from my paycheck, it's sitting at about 33% of my monthly net income goes to housing. That's about as much as we felt safe with, and we didn't factor my wife's upcoming income with this (because what if the job doesn't work out? mine's pretty stable) and we still aren't saving all that much of my income each month after a car payment and some student loan payments.

If you're floating around 33-35% of your gross income, that seems a bit risky to me. But I'm really paranoid and don't ever want to risk losing the house.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

SpartanIV posted:

So I'm trying to buy a house in Dfw and the market is insane. There's a house I like at 130k, and I've put in an offer for 137k + title fees. My realtor suggests considering upping it to 142k but I don't want to put in so much that I can't sell it again down the road if/when the market cools down. I'm not even sure it will appraise for that much, the comps I've seen put it at less than 140k.

I just don't know what to do. Someone give me sage advice. :smith:

Maybe I don't understand something here - do you know if there are already offers on the house? What we did for the one we're buying was offer exactly the asking price, but only made it valid for 48 hours. They can't refuse an offer that's the asking price without paying all the commissions unless they have a higher offer in hand before the expiration of the offer for asking price (at least in our state, I'm told - don't know about MI.) I guess I don't know why you would start higher than the asking price unless you knew there were other offers on the table already.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

spwrozek posted:

That sounds like a crazy law. Also DFW is in Texas.

Yes I know DFW is in Texas and I simply read it as DTW. Whoops.

As far as the law, I don't know it specifically - my realtor alluded to it. Apparently the reasoning behind it is if you list your price for $250,000 and someone offers you $250,000 and you say "no" without a higher offer in hand, the idea is you hosed your realtor over because they did their job and sold the house at the price *you* set, and if you refuse to take that price, then you basically lied to everyone, and you have to pay commission to at least the selling realtor. Maybe the buying realtor too? I don't know?

I'm in Wisconsin, and I haven't looked it up.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

emocrat posted:

I have heard of similar rules to what you are describing, but my impression was that it was not law, but rather written into the agreement between the sellers and the listing agent.

Maybe that's what it was. That would make sense, I suppose. I probably just misunderstood my realtor.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Yeah, our sellers were really happy about our down payment because they're trying to buy a house without a sell contingency on their current one because *those* sellers wouldn't accept that offer. They've asked us nicely to expedite everything we can on our side to make their bank confident that it'll sell. We've been happy to do it because they've been cool to us so far, and aside from a minor wording change haven't countered anything we've asked of them. It's also nice because we're basically done with everything at this point except to wait until closing in a bit over 3 weeks, so we can relax a bit.

The point of that is it could be a similar thing where they're trying to buy another one and need to be confident it'll sell.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Filthee Fingas posted:

Back on the property hunt given our last offer fell through (Vendor originally stated he'd fix the roof and pay for it but he didn't want to incorporate in the contract and when it came to the last minute where we stated to reduce the cost of the purchase price and we'll fix it, he pulled out).

We found a house that is exactly what we want and we are willing to pay the full asking price. We contacted the agent and the agent stated they aren't taking offers until after a viewing is done. The poo poo thing is the viewings are the following Wednesday and we're away on holidays from the Tuesday evening. We told the agent we're flexible and would be willing to come down any time before then but they're being reluctant to show us before the Wednesday.

Obviously we don't want to lose out on this opportunity. Would going down there and speaking to the vendor/leaving a letter be too stalkerish/creepy? I figure our chances are 0% if we don't do anything.

I would ask your realtor. If you dont have one, I'd get one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Turnquiet posted:

Also do never buy because stainless appliances, granite, paint, and other sundries cost a metric gently caress ton. Not to mention the how much an assing removing wall-paper ahead of painting is.

One of the lessons in that is Do Never Wallpaper because it's basically always ugly as gently caress.