Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I'm looking to get a pre-approval. Most of the money I would put toward a down payment/etc is in a brokerage account (tracking stocks, so relatively volatile, but a shift of like 5-10% won't tank me or anything).

Question is, should I do anything with the brokerage account in preparation (before applying)? Move money into a safer investment or just take the tax hit and cash it out? My only thought was that if I don't find any house to buy in the short term I would want to keep the money in the investment account, so cashing it out and putting it back in seems like a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
The stocks are individual stock positions as part of my compensation from my employer (e.g., straight shares, not a money market etf or whatever). So my down payment would be some combination of cash and liquidating the brokerage account, though it's like 6:1 in favor of the brokerage. I don't mind taking the tax hit, I just want to make sure I'm not accidentally doubling-up on it or creating an issue if I don't find a place for like six months or a year or whatever and I should have kept the money a particular color.

I can execute a trade Monday to cash out, but will that create any issue when I'm getting pre-approvals (e.g., looks weird in account history or something)?

Motronic posted:

So your downpayment is invested, and not just in broad market index funds but individual stocks? This isn't even a house buying question, it's a personal finance question. Money you need to use now doesn't go into investments, it needs to be in cash equivilents.

I'm aware of the ramifications of holding this from a financial planning standpoint. I only decided to explore buying a house recently, so it wasn't like a brokerage/long-term savings account thing.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Ditocoaf posted:

I just mount my TV on the ceiling and lie on the floor.

can’t do that in the bedroom, I already have a mirror there

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I have a loan "pre-approval" letter from a broker that's basically:

I, the underwriter, have looked at a bunch of papers and will def give PRADA SLUT :10bux: after some downpayments and whatever

But nowhere in here does it list any fees, rate, or the like. Basically, not a standard form. Note that I didn't get a credit pull or anything, just a "let's look at some papers and figure out an amount you can shop with". I'm trying to compare my rate and Section A costs, but the doc lists none of them.

Do I need a property "picked out" to get a standard loan estimate I can compare, or can I ask for an arbitrary estimate just to figure out what my rate and fees will look like?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
So, if I want to compare rates/costs from different lenders, when do I ask for the "real" loan document detailing such? When I'm putting down an offer? The broker told me that the pre-approval is valid enough to put down an offer (at which point they'll run credit and the like to get "real" numbers).

Right now I have all my paperwork together but I've only talked to one local broker, whom I have the pre-approval letter. I was going to hit my bank to get a comparison but I don't know the timing.

At this point, should I just call my broker and ask them to ballpark me their rates and fees, or does it not matter until I place an offer? Should I shop offers now or wait until I have a place picked out and an offer down (from waving around the brokers pre-approval letter)?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
So, to confirm, I place an offer with whatever pre-approval. Once the seller accepts, I've got ~30 days to pony up the real cash, and it doesn't matter where I get it?

e.g., I can walk into a bank, say I have an offer that was accepted, and I want them to run my info to see what rate/etc I would get. And I do that a bunch at a bunch of places. And then I do wheeling and dealing until I get one I like and then the seller gets their money from somewhere

Am I missing anything here?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What’s the preferred way to shop for home insurance? My current insurer (lemonade) doesn’t do policies in California.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

smackfu posted:

If you were moving into a new house, and you didn’t need to move in on the closing date, what stuff would you fix before moving in? Floors and painting seem like the obvious, am I missing anything?

Outlets (esp in bathroom) and Ethernet runs and pull the “internet in” cable somewhere useful for a router.