Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Wrigley
Jun 8, 2006

King O Frod

FidgetyRat posted:

Just a note for the OP.

Mortage Insurance is tax deductible, but it has some pretty low income requirements.

"families with adjusted gross incomes below $100,000 were able to deduct 100 percent of their mortgage insurance premiums while families with incomes up to $109,000 were eligible for a partial deduction." (And by partial, it drops pretty dramatically between 100 and 109k).

I believe this is currently in effect until 2010 (which likely will be extended again, but could very well be terminated by the gov't).

PS, I know firsthand, this is the worst. When TurboTax tells me that I'm too rich to deduct some type of interest, I die a little inside :(

No PMI for me, but just in general. Keep this in mind if you're "rich" like me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Wrigley
Jun 8, 2006

King O Frod

FidgetyRat posted:

I hear you.. We make just over 110/y but also live in an area where taxes are higher, house prices higher, and thus PMI is a larger chunk.. Even though our family makes 6 figures, we're not exactly going out and buying flat screen TVs.. Between student loans, the house, etc, we live comfortably, but not in excess.

deducting that would have really helped out.

I have a general PMI question.. Can you reappraise your house after sale and have the PMI dropped if you exceed the 20% due to increased equity? Im in the process of building right now, and in the past few months, the builder raised prices 10k and fixed a price of 15k on the properties to the left and right of me.. So at closing, my house is already 25k more then what I am buying it for.. If I were to appraise it for the price the neighbors get, could that extra 25k equity go into the PMI calculation so i'd be that much closer to getting rid of it? What about if the appraisal for some reason comes back lower, could that hurt?

Get ready for when you get older and can't deduct your kid's college tuition because you're too rich. That's the real heartbreaker.

Don Wrigley
Jun 8, 2006

King O Frod

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Don't feel bad. All mortgage tax interest deductibility does is artificially raise prices on homes. If you could deduct the interest, your home would just cost more.

:psyduck:

You just blew my mind on something that is completely obvious.

Don Wrigley
Jun 8, 2006

King O Frod

Cheesemaster200 posted:

I absolutely hate this argument.

Past prices of housing does not dictate future prices of housing based on some curve. Population growth, social trends versus housing, and population movement are all major factors that are completely different than 20 years ago. Trying to estimate where house prices will be next year or 5 years from now based upon a graph of the past prices is just going to be nothing more than a complete guess, especially with this administration and this market.

It's even simpler than that. House prices are based on affordability, period.

Don Wrigley
Jun 8, 2006

King O Frod

moana posted:

How can you reconcile this with the past few years, then? Aren't we saying that the housing bubble broke because people really couldn't afford what they were buying? I'm adding these posts to the OP since I'm sure this will generate a lot of discussion and because I'm curious what people think will happen.

Really, the most important thing I've taken away is not to treat a home purchase as an investment because based on historical data, it's not a good investment. If you're planning on buying a house, it should be because you can afford it, not because you think home prices will rise. I completely agree with the idea that we can't predict anything that's going to happen with any accuracy, but I do think it's a good idea to buy a house with the idea in mind that prices could continue to decline.

That's the whole point. The past few years, there were exotic mortgages that made houses affordable (in the short term), but this is long term unsustainable because in actuality the homes were not affordable.

Historical data is useless except that for the most part, home prices have stayed at roughly the same price--relative to wage inflation--since...I guess WW2.

Ask yourself this. What makes a home price appreciate, if noone can afford to pay more for it?

Don Wrigley
Jun 8, 2006

King O Frod

Cheesemaster200 posted:

But my point is what is keeping the same thing from happening again for the next 15 years? Interest rates are at record lows right now, and I think the major thing keeping back the housing market is spending reduction do to the recession rather than the housing market still imploding.

People generally save during recessions, and once the economy publicly turns around, there will be a lot of large down-payments ready to dispersion into the housing markets. Houses which were previously overpriced will get a haircut sure, but locations which were close to realistic value will see a big increase in price in my opinion.

Either way, we don't know what will happen specifically, and saying "we still got a long way to go!" based entirely on historic data is not very founded.

With low interest rates, higher prices are more affordable, so it'll keep housing prices up until interest rates are at normal levels, when you'll need more money to afford the same price (since the interest payment is higher). Prices will have to go down, rates will not stay this low forever.

Where is the price increase coming from where values are "realistic?" Can people afford more expensive houses? If they can, then yes, prices will go up. If they can't, where is this extra money coming from that is going to push up the price of houses?

Now, lets say you buy a house in a rural/suburban area, that over time develops. As it develops, more jobs come to the area, causing the median wages in the area to increase at a faster pace than inflation. In this scenario, yes, your house will be more valuable. But this doesn't have anything to do with interest rates, historical trends, or anything other than affordability. The people in the area are able to afford houses that are more expensive, and as such, the house prices increase.

Don Wrigley
Jun 8, 2006

King O Frod

glompix posted:

stuff

You've decided against buying the house--and that's good--but I'm gonna use your post as an example in my "wtf is wrong with people" post.

Your parents, girlfriend, and every average person it seems, still think housing is a great investment, based on historical trends, AFTER house prices have plunged 35% in a year, and are continuing to do so. It's unbelievable how much that thought is ingrained into our heads...and because of this, it is my thinking that houses will NEVER be undervalued, unless somehow this perception is changed (my guess is that it won't be).

After big stock market crashes, the people who say "don't invest in stocks, stocks will never supply the same return, yadda yadda" far outweigh those who say "oh it's cheap, because it's cheaper than it was yesterday, buy now!" However, you can flip those statements, as more people now think housing is a great deal because it's cheaper than it was yesterday than those who are saying it's over, and housing will never provide the long term gains that they used to.

I wonder why that is.

Don Wrigley
Jun 8, 2006

King O Frod

The Flying Clog Wog posted:

I'm not planning on buying a house right now, I'm just wondering if any of you can just sort of give me an estimate of when it might be a possibility.

I live in London; I guess that's the main thing here. The average cost for an apartment is £300k at the moment, which is around 500,000 USD. That's just an apartment. The ridiculous prices here make it kind of hard to judge what is/isn't a good deal and how much you need to earn to buy anything here.

Given that the combined income for me plus my girlfriend is going to be around £55,000 / $90,000 the salary times 4 rule means we can't afford an average flat here, which seems ridiculous. We have no debt at all, credit cards are paid off in full every month as well, although are savings at the moment aren't very high either.

Given that my parents are able and willing to give us a loan for the deposit (which I would pay back at zero percent interest to them I assume), would it be at all possible for us to buy something in your opinion?

Not sure on this since I don't know anything about London/the London housing market, but is it anything like Manhattan? People with normal salaries can't sniff a nice apartment in Manhattan. There are, however, surrounding areas that they live (in north new jersey, brooklyn, or queens), is there anyhthing like that you can look into?

Just trying to point out that you're not alone--buying a condo in an expensive city is out of reach for most people.

Don Wrigley
Jun 8, 2006

King O Frod
Why should they let the $8000 tax credit be used as a down payment? Isn't that eerily similar to a no money down loan?

Don Wrigley
Jun 8, 2006

King O Frod

ManDingo posted:

I ran accross this article today and thought it might be worth posting.

http://www.usnews.com/blogs/the-home-front/2009/06/12/will-the-8000-first-time-home-buyer-tax-credit-expand-to-15000.html

I highly doubt it will pass as the spike in mortgage rates seems to be falling again now. The only thing I worry about now is the effectivity dates. I would hate to have this pass next year and see my race to close before December 1st end up hurting me.

Man, this is just insane. Keep artifically inflating the housing prices, why the hell not.

But on a lighter note, I will be looking to buy a condo in miami in the 150-200K range if this bill passes. Retirement planning, almost 20 years early :)

Don Wrigley
Jun 8, 2006

King O Frod

FidgetyRat posted:

I'm genuinely curious as to why people even go for townhomes/condos when SFH's are available. At least in my area, a Condo/Townhome can sell for just as much as a full 2-story home on a decent lot where neighbors aren't sharing walls.

This is like asking why people buy a toyota instead of a lexus, at least in most markets.

Don Wrigley
Jun 8, 2006

King O Frod

Ophelia's Ashes posted:

Ok. I'm not disagreeing...but I need you to explain it to me. And I really don't get why you think my car payments will be $1000+. Every "online car payment" calculator I do through websites states if I put $5k down and finance for 60 months, it will be like...$567 (approx) a month.

So here is how I see it and this is why I'm having the trouble:

I make: 7150 (approx) a month before taxes.
We are looking to purchase a house that is between 250 - 270 K. We estimate our housing costs (mortgage/property taxes/water/hydro/insurance) will come come out to approx $2200 a month (divide that by two for my portion) = $1100
- line of credit payment (used for downpayment) = 1000/2 = 500/month
- car insurance ~ 200/month
- phone ~ 100/month
- food ~ 260/2 = 130/month
- cable + internet = 150/2 = 75/month

all = 2105 taken away from 7150 leaves me with $5045.

Obviously my monthly income will be lower when taxes are taken off, but I'm still not seeing why I can't afford a nice car. I'm truthfully not trying to be difficult, I am just not getting it obviously. I need you to explain to me why it is a terrible idea for me to purchase an expensive car. Maybe my concept of housing payments are low or whatever it is.

Do yourself a favor and save up 20% before you buy the house, NOT from an unsecured loan. You make entirely too much money to not be able to save $40,000 inside of 1.5 years, maybe 2. The house is certainly not outside your budget, that's a relatively cheap house, the car maybe stretching it--I don't know too many people in the $100-120K income area who own a car like that. Then again, said people generally live in much more expensive houses.

Just the fact that you have no savings with that kind of salary puts up a red flag in my book--by saving the down payment for yourself, you'll not only save yourself money but you'll prove yourself that you are fiscally responsible enough to do so; it's win-win. There's no rush to buy a house, don't do it until you're ready.

Don Wrigley
Jun 8, 2006

King O Frod

Zombie Dictator posted:

Even though we're in the middle of a real estate crisis, everyone I know lives in an area that hasn't lost value. Funny how that works.

And everyone I know who has taken a vacation to Las Vegas has won. No wonder Vegas is doing so poorly!

Don Wrigley
Jun 8, 2006

King O Frod

senor punk posted:

shadow puppet of a: That is why I live in Astoria, hahahaha. Though to be fair it's a modest and not very big 2 BR on the 5th floor of a 90 y/o walk up. As ridiculous as the prices are it's sadly just the way it goes in NYC's market, and especially in Manhattan.

I love Manhattan, I love being a paramedic in Manhattan, but I can't really afford Manhattan on paramedic pay. Someday... :allears:

And living in Astoria gives you the pleasure of having hipster neighbors everywhere you look :)

The reason there's such a premium for living in Manhattan is...it's great. Tons of (EXTREMELY) high paying jobs right at the doorstep, the best restaurants, etc. It's easy to look at a 2BR on the upper east side vs. a mansion in the midwest with similar costs and see the homes themselves can not compare, but the atmosphere can not compare either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Wrigley
Jun 8, 2006

King O Frod

bad news brown posted:

This seems like the right place to ask this. I've got about $130k saved up and I have zero debt (student loans, credit cards, etc. all paid off). Would it be a better idea to buy a condo outright, make a large down payment on a house or condo, or just make a smaller (20-40%) down payment on a property?

I know about the potential nightmares with a HOA. I guess my question is, is it a better idea financially to buy outright or to carry a mortgage?

What's your income? Expenses? You'd be in a very different situation if you were making $150,000 a year compared with $50,000 a year.