Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Tigertron posted:

Apprentice plumber checking in, I started just two weeks ago. We are small, just three of us, we cover plumbing and ac/heat. There is something very rewarding about working with your hands and getting a job done right. Plus the pay is very rewarding as well.

On my second week we did our first sewer bursting job (practiced on one of their houses first) and have a second scheduled before we take our first real job. For those unfamiliar it is a way for replacing a sewer line without having to dig a trench through the yard. Two holes are dug for an entry and exit point where the new pipe is pulled through the old clay breaking right through the middle. Digging for these jobs is really back breaking I dug 6 1/2 ft deep closest to the street. It is really cool work and very little labor aside from the digging but thats my job.

Anyone have any experience working with sewer bursting and have some tips to make the job easier. We are having the most trouble figuring out how to recover the bursting head once it reaches the end.

I just have to say that plumbing is a great profession and I love the respect people give us.

You definitely have my respect. You guys are like the Calvary when I'm in a jam. I'll pay nearly anything!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK

Tigertron posted:

Apprentice plumber checking in, I started just two weeks ago. We are small, just three of us, we cover plumbing and ac/heat. There is something very rewarding about working with your hands and getting a job done right. Plus the pay is very rewarding as well.

On my second week we did our first sewer bursting job (practiced on one of their houses first) and have a second scheduled before we take our first real job. For those unfamiliar it is a way for replacing a sewer line without having to dig a trench through the yard. Two holes are dug for an entry and exit point where the new pipe is pulled through the old clay breaking right through the middle. Digging for these jobs is really back breaking I dug 6 1/2 ft deep closest to the street. It is really cool work and very little labor aside from the digging but thats my job.

Anyone have any experience working with sewer bursting and have some tips to make the job easier. We are having the most trouble figuring out how to recover the bursting head once it reaches the end.

I just have to say that plumbing is a great profession and I love the respect people give us.

Hi fellow apprentice. What got you into the trade?

Tigertron
Jan 19, 2007

Tiger, tiger, burning bright

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

Hi fellow apprentice. What got you into the trade?

I really got tired of working dead end jobs doing work a monkey could do. So I happened upon a chance to work with my girlfriends father riding along on jobs and eventually full time sewer bursting. Friday I got an opportunity to ride along to a house worth over a few million in Huntington beach CA (the owner of No Fear & Affliction clothing) to do some AC work. My jaw dropped when I saw the underground theater styled with a gothic theme. The AC unit we were installing was dedicated to keep cool the wall of audio, video and servers.

You definitely get the privilege of going places many people don't get the opportunity to go. Once I become more skilled they will start taking me to homes in Laguna Beach that are valued at much more.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
I've successfully replaced my hot water heater, but I'm having a real bastard of a time with the burner. After replacing the old unit with a slightly smaller new unit I can't get the burner to stay lit.

The pilot will light (and stay lit indefinitely as far as I can tell), but as soon as I try to light the main burner with the temperature control knob, it ignites for about 3-5 seconds and then flares out.

My gas main is working correctly; I tested the gas furnace and it operates just fine. Not sure what to do. I'm hoping this doesn't mean the heater I just spent all day replacing is defecive or something.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

Tigertron posted:

I really got tired of working dead end jobs doing work a monkey could do. So I happened upon a chance to work with my girlfriends father riding along on jobs and eventually full time sewer bursting. Friday I got an opportunity to ride along to a house worth over a few million in Huntington beach CA (the owner of No Fear & Affliction clothing) to do some AC work. My jaw dropped when I saw the underground theater styled with a gothic theme. The AC unit we were installing was dedicated to keep cool the wall of audio, video and servers.

You definitely get the privilege of going places many people don't get the opportunity to go. Once I become more skilled they will start taking me to homes in Laguna Beach that are valued at much more.

Last winter i got to work on a brewery. 4 of us there did the steam lines, water lines, chilled water lines. It was a great experience.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

I've successfully replaced my hot water heater, but I'm having a real bastard of a time with the burner. After replacing the old unit with a slightly smaller new unit I can't get the burner to stay lit.

The pilot will light (and stay lit indefinitely as far as I can tell), but as soon as I try to light the main burner with the temperature control knob, it ignites for about 3-5 seconds and then flares out.

My gas main is working correctly; I tested the gas furnace and it operates just fine. Not sure what to do. I'm hoping this doesn't mean the heater I just spent all day replacing is defecive or something.

where did you get the heater from, how many BTU's is it?

It sounds like the thermal coupling could be messed up but i need more info.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

where did you get the heater from, how many BTU's is it?

It sounds like the thermal coupling could be messed up but i need more info.

Lowes', it is a Whirlpool 30 gal 30,000 BTU natural gas unit.

I am calling the warranty/customer support line tomorrow to see what the deal is.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Lowes', it is a Whirlpool 30 gal 30,000 BTU natural gas unit.

I am calling the warranty/customer support line tomorrow to see what the deal is.

EDIT: Actually the thermal couple could just need to be moved closer to the pilot light.

Turd Herder fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Oct 13, 2009

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

I'd really suggest digging up the pipe and removing it.

Ok, so I did it the right way. I maybe even did it right.

Reached the treasure!

A nice clean cut with the snap cutter, and.. uh oh

Just a temporary setback. We gave up on usable iron and cut before the first clay hub, which we'd already damaged. I had already bought a clay-to-iron coupler expecting this:

Something to connect to inside, finally:

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

mr.belowaverage posted:

Ok, so I did it the right way. I maybe even did it right.

Reached the treasure!

A nice clean cut with the snap cutter, and.. uh oh

Just a temporary setback. We gave up on usable iron and cut before the first clay hub, which we'd already damaged. I had already bought a clay-to-iron coupler expecting this:

Something to connect to inside, finally:

Nice, looks like you did a great job. Did you put a level on the pipe and check the grade?

Basically just make sure its not graded backwards.

Turd Herder fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Oct 22, 2009

joozy
Jan 15, 2004
so i wake my rear end up early for work and i was kind of having problems with this shower knob earlier in the week, i go to turn on the water and nothing comes out on the cold side of the knob, i get to the middle and the water is hot as gently caress, not hot enough to scald but enough to make the shower uncomfortable. how would i go about fixing this without ripping out the whole shower? pics below

http://www.wewtgaming.com/shower

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

Off hand I'd say its a bad cartridge. If I'm seeing it correctly from the pictures i believed its a MOEN . Home depot should sell the cartridges. If its another brand tell me cause i could be wrong.

You will need to shut off your water to do this. Turn off the cold main coming into your house and close the ball valve on the water heater to prevent it from siphoning the water heater.

Cartridges are easily to replace. If you turn the handle on so its pointing up you will see an open alen key or a half red half blue circle. Use a pocket knife (screw driver or anything skinny to get under the plug to pop it out works) and pop out the red and blue plug to expose the allen key screw.

You will then see a circular cylinder that you can easily just pull off with your hands. You will expose the valve itself with a horse shoe looking clip in the top.

You will have to pull the clip out by pulling up on it. Sometimes they stick so you may need pliers.

Now the cartridge cam come out. Grab the metal stem that the that has a flat top and bottom with pliers and pull. It will pull out the cartridge. Take this to hardware store and find a new one to put it. Make sure you didn't leave any old rubbers in the valve body itself. Sometimes the cartridges will get old enough that the cartridges basically separate from the rubber gaskets.

Another step you can do if you have a friend with you. Have him turn on the cold water very quickly leave it on for a second and then turn it back off. If for some reason you have stuff stuck in the cold lines this will flush it out.

You may have to take off the large trim plate before removing the cartridge to get more room to work. It all depends on how far back the valve body was roughed in.

I left out some steps for taking out the handle but it should only be two plastic pieces screwed into the stem of the cartridge. You can easily figure out how to take those off before you remove the cylinder covering the horse shoe clip.

joozy
Jan 15, 2004

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

Off hand I'd say its a bad cartridge. If I'm seeing it correctly from the pictures i believed its a MOEN . Home depot should sell the cartridges. If its another brand tell me cause i could be wrong.

You will need to shut off your water to do this. Turn off the cold main coming into your house and close the ball valve on the water heater to prevent it from siphoning the water heater.

Cartridges are easily to replace. If you turn the handle on so its pointing up you will see an open alen key or a half red half blue circle. Use a pocket knife (screw driver or anything skinny to get under the plug to pop it out works) and pop out the red and blue plug to expose the allen key screw.

You will then see a circular cylinder that you can easily just pull off with your hands. You will expose the valve itself with a horse shoe looking clip in the top.

You will have to pull the clip out by pulling up on it. Sometimes they stick so you may need pliers.

Now the cartridge cam come out. Grab the metal stem that the that has a flat top and bottom with pliers and pull. It will pull out the cartridge. Take this to hardware store and find a new one to put it. Make sure you didn't leave any old rubbers in the valve body itself. Sometimes the cartridges will get old enough that the cartridges basically separate from the rubber gaskets.

Another step you can do if you have a friend with you. Have him turn on the cold water very quickly leave it on for a second and then turn it back off. If for some reason you have stuff stuck in the cold lines this will flush it out.

You may have to take off the large trim plate before removing the cartridge to get more room to work. It all depends on how far back the valve body was roughed in.

I left out some steps for taking out the handle but it should only be two plastic pieces screwed into the stem of the cartridge. You can easily figure out how to take those off before you remove the cylinder covering the horse shoe clip.

doesnt seem too tough. there is no markings on the plate or handle. could i just buy a new more stylish cartridge? or do i have to use the same (unknown) maker?

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

You have to use the same brand cartridge. You can get varies trim kits for each valve body but that's about it. If you can take the handle off and show me a picture. I should be able to identify the brand.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

Nice, looks like you did a great job. Did you put a level on the pipe and check the grade?

Basically just make sure its not graded backwards.

I did and also tested it by running water into it, and none flowed back out.

However, after pouring some concrete and filling in, the pipe seems to have settled a bit. I had it propped up on stones, but I guess not well enough. It now sits more or less level. That would leave me with a level run about 4-5 feet long between the first T and the existing clay sewer outside. Is this going to be a major problem?

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

mr.belowaverage posted:

I did and also tested it by running water into it, and none flowed back out.

However, after pouring some concrete and filling in, the pipe seems to have settled a bit. I had it propped up on stones, but I guess not well enough. It now sits more or less level. That would leave me with a level run about 4-5 feet long between the first T and the existing clay sewer outside. Is this going to be a major problem?

First of all supporting your pipes with rocks is never a good idea. And it all depends on how close to level. If its an 1/8th in per foot you can get away with it, but if its completely flat it will give you issues. You will more likely have clogs there then because of the flat pipe.

PappyFromJersey
Nov 19, 2003

Hell yeah, I'm well aware of what's at stake. Won't be a single muhfucker crying at my wake.
Journeyman Plumber checking in. I remember my first plumbing thread. Good job, Rd. Rash.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

PappyFromJersey posted:

Journeyman Plumber checking in. I remember my first plumbing thread. Good job, Rd. Rash.

So what type of plumbing do you usually do pappy? Commercial, resi or service?

PappyFromJersey
Nov 19, 2003

Hell yeah, I'm well aware of what's at stake. Won't be a single muhfucker crying at my wake.

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

So what type of plumbing do you usually do pappy? Commercial, resi or service?

Commercial service in Dallas. Did my 4-year apprenticeship at a residential plumbing service company.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

PappyFromJersey posted:

Commercial service in Dallas. Did my 4-year apprenticeship at a residential plumbing service company.

Got any service tricks you wanna share?

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004
Excuse the terrible drawing(using a trackpad). I wanted to put in a wet bar in to an open space in my home. I have running water and drain line that are used for my washer which is on the other side of the wall. The darker line is an exterior wall and smaller line is an interior wall. How much of a pain in the rear end would it be to run hot/cold/drain from the washer area to the wetbar area so I can enjoy my girly drinks? Would it be easier or better to go through the interior wall or exterior? I know there would have to be some knocking poo poo out, but didn't know how much damage there would be.
Here is a really bad diagram:

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

It wouldn't be to hard to do in theory. Depending on the area you live you may want to stay out of the outside wall. Due to problems with a chance o freezing. You do need to bring a drain to the sink and a vent back. I'd need pictures of the Washer it self and the drain lines to see what material I'm working with. Give me a pic of your water pipe too so i can figure out what material it is also.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

i drew two drawings, the first is an over head view of what i think you have. Yellow is the drain line and it doesnt show the vent coming back.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Drain line must slope down, vent line must slope up. One line can *maybe* be both if it's short enough, otherwise you'll need separate drain and vent pipes. Hot and cold water lines are fine regardless of routing. It's legal to have them running exposed outside your wall/behind your dishwasher, but not aesthetically very nice. You may run into issues with the size of the pipes of the inspector does the math (you can only put so many sinks/appliances on a single drain line or water supply) but they probably won't care if you do everything else right.

grover fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 29, 2009

PappyFromJersey
Nov 19, 2003

Dobermaniac posted:

Excuse the terrible drawing(using a trackpad). I wanted to put in a wet bar in to an open space in my home. I have running water and drain line that are used for my washer which is on the other side of the wall. The darker line is an exterior wall and smaller line is an interior wall. How much of a pain in the rear end would it be to run hot/cold/drain from the washer area to the wetbar area so I can enjoy my girly drinks? Would it be easier or better to go through the interior wall or exterior? I know there would have to be some knocking poo poo out, but didn't know how much damage there would be.

If your house was built with a crawlspace, the drain line could penetrate the floor along with the water lines and the vent could be run through the attic.

If you have a concrete slab foundation, then the drain/water lines would have to run down the wall to the washer stack, but the vent could still run through the attic to the washer vent stack.

What's up, Grover?

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004
Thanks guys. I'm not heading home until Thursday and will take some pictures then.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

grover posted:

Drain line must slope down, vent line must slope up. One line can *maybe* be both if it's short enough, otherwise you'll need separate drain and vent pipes. Hot and cold water lines are find regardless of routing. It's legal to have them running exposed outside your wall/behind your dishwasher, but not aesthetically very nice. You may run into issues with the size of the pipes of the inspector does the math (you can only put so many sinks/appliances on a single drain line or water supply) but they probably won't care if you do everything else right.
I should have graded those lines correctly in my drawing.

1/4 per foot is standard to grade a drain in Washington. Is it the same with you grover?

We are allowed to run 4inch at 1/8 inch per foot if Authority having Jurisdiction approves it.

Turd Herder fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Oct 28, 2009

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
Whattup, Pappy?

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

I should have graded those lines correctly in my drawing.

1/4 per foot is standard to grade a drain in Washington. Is it the same with you grover?

We are allowed to run 4inch at 1/8 inch per foot if Authority having Jurisdiction approves it.
We're IPC/IRC here in VA, so it's probably all the same. (I've got the full IBC set on CD at work, but just a well worn IRC 2006 at home.) IPC says 1/4" per foot for 2.5" and smaller, 1/8" for 3" and larger. AHJ here doesn't enforce this strictly, so long as best effort is made to get as close as possible given real-life constraints, like joist height, etc. Vents can be dead horizontal, AFAIK, they just can't reverse slope.

Speaking of which, found the table I was looking for. (IRC P3105.1) At 1/4" per foot slope, you can have 5' of horizontal 1.25" pipe between the bar sink's p-trap and the drain/vent connection. If using 1.5" pipe, it can go 6'.

grover fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Oct 29, 2009

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

grover posted:

Whattup, Pappy?
We're IPC/IRC here in VA, so it's probably all the same. (I've got the full IBC set on CD at work, but just a well worn IRC 2006 at home.) IPC says 1/4" per foot for 2.5" and smaller, 1/8" for 3" and larger. AHJ here doesn't enforce this strictly, so long as best effort is made to get as close as possible given real-life constraints, like joist height, etc. Vents can be dead horizontal, AFAIK, they just can't reverse slope.

Speaking of which, found the table I was looking for. (IRC P3105.1) At 1/4" per foot slope, you can have 5' of horizontal 1.25" pipe between the bar sink's p-trap and the drain/vent connection. If using 1.5" pipe, it can go 6'.

whats the smallest pipe you use to vent a single fixture?

1 1/2abs is pretty much the norm for just a lav. We usually bring a 2 inch drain to it for over kill.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

whats the smallest pipe you use to vent a single fixture?

1 1/2abs is pretty much the norm for just a lav. We usually bring a 2 inch drain to it for over kill.
Depends on the fixture size, but minimum is 1/2 the size of the drain, and no less than 1.25". A bar sink would be minimums all around, I'd think. To be honest, I don't often get into the details like this at work unless there's a problem somewhere, so I don't really have a "usually".

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

The reason i asked was some hilly billy told me once that people on the east coast were venting fixtures in 3/4 inch copper. I couldnt figure out why anyone would do that, let alone the cost to do it that way. I figured it was a myth but i was just checking.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
Yeah, that's BS. I'm not going to say it's not done, but it's certainly illegal in all 50 states and there seems to be 0 reason to do it that way.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

grover posted:

Yeah, that's BS. I'm not going to say it's not done, but it's certainly illegal in all 50 states and there seems to be 0 reason to do it that way.

I'm not sure if you already posted it but what type of plumbing do you do grover? Are you commerical, resi, or service. And union or non union?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

I'm not sure if you already posted it but what type of plumbing do you do grover? Are you commerical, resi, or service. And union or non union?
Truth be told, I'm an engineer :science: I'm a licensed PE, and fairly well versed in many areas, including plumbing and HVAC. Professionally, I do mostly electrical work; I'm flattered that you think well enough of me in this thread to assume I'm a plumber, though!

grover fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 30, 2009

PappyFromJersey
Nov 19, 2003

grover posted:

Truth be told, I'm an engineer :science: I'm a licensed PE, and fairly well versed in many areas, including plumbing and HVAC. Professionally, I do mostly electrical work; I'm flattered that you think well enough of me in this thread to assume I'm a plumber, though!

Grover knows just enough to get himself in trouble (see: S-trap). loving engineers. Worst customers ever. (wink)

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

PappyFromJersey posted:

Grover knows just enough to get himself in trouble (see: S-trap). loving engineers. Worst customers ever. (wink)

I was being polite but yes i agree.

But you know who's worse. The guy at home depot who tell people random poo poo to do in there plumbing. That is so rear end backwards you wonder if the guy ever had a licence.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Any idea why running water is so loud throughout our house? it's not hammering, just a roaring *WHOOOOOOSH* that happens whenever any tap is turned at any time during the day.

We have 1/2 inch copper and excellent water pressure, but goddamn, if I grab a glass of water from the kitchen in the middle of the night, I wake everyone up.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Any idea why running water is so loud throughout our house? it's not hammering, just a roaring *WHOOOOOOSH* that happens whenever any tap is turned at any time during the day.

We have 1/2 inch copper and excellent water pressure, but goddamn, if I grab a glass of water from the kitchen in the middle of the night, I wake everyone up.

Is your whole house run in 1/2 copper? There should be atleast 3/4 coming into the house.

Do you heard the sound if you shower or if the toilet runs?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

Is your whole house run in 1/2 copper? There should be atleast 3/4 coming into the house.

Do you heard the sound if you shower or if the toilet runs?

I'll have to check on your questions when I get home, but the worst culprits are the kitchen sink faucet and the bathroom sink. Now that I think about it, these two are back-to-back against the same wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

I'll have to check on your questions when I get home, but the worst culprits are the kitchen sink faucet and the bathroom sink. Now that I think about it, these two are back-to-back against the same wall.
Also check your water pressure. You could have undersized pipes and high pressures (above 80psi) That whooshing sound could be eating away at the copper pipes.