Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tigertron
Jan 19, 2007

Tiger, tiger, burning bright
Apprentice plumber checking in, I started just two weeks ago. We are small, just three of us, we cover plumbing and ac/heat. There is something very rewarding about working with your hands and getting a job done right. Plus the pay is very rewarding as well.

On my second week we did our first sewer bursting job (practiced on one of their houses first) and have a second scheduled before we take our first real job. For those unfamiliar it is a way for replacing a sewer line without having to dig a trench through the yard. Two holes are dug for an entry and exit point where the new pipe is pulled through the old clay breaking right through the middle. Digging for these jobs is really back breaking I dug 6 1/2 ft deep closest to the street. It is really cool work and very little labor aside from the digging but thats my job.

Anyone have any experience working with sewer bursting and have some tips to make the job easier. We are having the most trouble figuring out how to recover the bursting head once it reaches the end.

I just have to say that plumbing is a great profession and I love the respect people give us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigertron
Jan 19, 2007

Tiger, tiger, burning bright

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

Hi fellow apprentice. What got you into the trade?

I really got tired of working dead end jobs doing work a monkey could do. So I happened upon a chance to work with my girlfriends father riding along on jobs and eventually full time sewer bursting. Friday I got an opportunity to ride along to a house worth over a few million in Huntington beach CA (the owner of No Fear & Affliction clothing) to do some AC work. My jaw dropped when I saw the underground theater styled with a gothic theme. The AC unit we were installing was dedicated to keep cool the wall of audio, video and servers.

You definitely get the privilege of going places many people don't get the opportunity to go. Once I become more skilled they will start taking me to homes in Laguna Beach that are valued at much more.