Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

binkmeister
Jun 1, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I have a leak in my lawn sprinkler system in one of the pipes causing the ground around it to be mushy and unsightly (durr durr water). My problem isn't fixing the leak but rather isolating the leak without digging up the entire yard and going into heat stroke.

I googled the problem and one of the sites I found, eHow (link), tells me that professionals have special equipment to trace the leak. I do not know what this equipment is, so I will let you know that I am using shovels, a wheelbarrow, and sweat to dig trenches.

I do not have a blueprint of the sprinkler system nor any idea how it was installed, but I do know that construction in my area (Houston) is done by cheap labor that typically does things the easiest way possible and as such they may have laid down the pipes in some crazy, convoluted pathway.

What I have tried so far is going to the two closest sprinkler heads next to the leak and digging a small hole on it to see where the pipes are going out and drew two lines with strings to estimate the direction of both pipes and where they intersect. I then dug a trench around the area of the wet spot in the yard close to where the strings I put down in hopes of finding a pipe, but have not been successful in doing so.

Do you have any tips for me as how to isolate the leak?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU