Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

My SO is annoyed at the amount of calcium buildup on everything and wants me to do something about it. We don't have well water or anything, but we do seem to have harder than average water. I've read that water softening systems need a lot of maintenance and that there are salt-free systems that don't need maintenance but maybe aren't as good? I don't really know where to start on figuring out what the hell I need, except I know I need to do something. Help me goons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Motronic posted:

A water hardness test.

You have to define the scope of the problem before you can evaluate what systems are appropriate to fix it.

Good call. Totally forgot that was a thing.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Alright I got an electronic tester thingy off Amazon and it says my water is 117ppm TDS (total dissolved solids?). Immediately after, I found out that there are maps online where you can look it up for your area and my area is about 120 according to that so at least they agree.

Seems like that's on the line between "moderate" and "hard," which gels with my observations on water stains.

So what do I buy to make the annoying water spots and buildup go away for good?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

How expensive are we talking? I'm very willing to spend rich idiot money on something that will give me essentially distilled water from the tap if I can spray down my cars without water spots. I'm a terrible home owner and will forget to maintain it unless it pesters me on my phone daily.

Also I'm very stupid so if you have brand/model recommendations that will help.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Laziness is a very powerful motivator and water here is very, very cheap. That's an insane amount of water use though holy crap.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Water softener with a charcoal filter it is. Thanks!

Edit: I assume this kind of thing is worthless garbage: https://www.culligan.com/product/culligan-salt-free-water-conditioner

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

"Yeah hi, where do you keep the octopus couplers?"

"The what?"

"The octopus couplers. I need to replace my old one."

*shows picture*

:ohno:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

At least one more exists

https://www.reddit.com/r/Plumbing/comments/u7ywql/has_anybody_ever_seen_a_fitting_like_this_before/

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Hope this is the right thread. After a trip to Japan, my wife has fallen in love with the crazy toilets they have over there and is demanding we get one. I'd like to get one with all the bells and whistles - heated seat, heated bidet, self cleaning, etc. - but I don't want to drop twice what I need to on something in the "more money than sense" category. Does anyone have recommendations for good brands/product lines that will hold up and make my wife's butt happy without being priced as if it's made of solid gold?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

c355n4 posted:

I have Toto toilets and the seats. They have a few different price points for the bidet seats. Toto's bidet seats should fit on other manufacturer's toilets. Bio Bidet is also seemingly well regarded? I've never used one or had one though.

This might fit into the "more money than sense" category, but I don't want an after-market seat. I want a full toilet with everything built-in. I'm okay with installing it.

I was looking at Toto because they do a lot of commercial stuff, and they seemed popular in Japan. The Kohler stuff looks like they hired the guys that make pre-built gaming PCs with all the RGB unicorn vomit.

Edit: That said, this one seems fairly reasonable - https://www.kohler.com/en/products/toilets/shop-toilets/innate-one-piece-elongated-smart-toilet-dual-flush-29777-pa?skuId=29777-PA-0

KillHour fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 5, 2024

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

c355n4 posted:

Oh, you want one of those super fancy ones! Small anecdote story, friend got one of those fancy Toto toilets with the automatic raising seat. Only problem is that their toilet faces the bedroom, and it constantly goes up and down when they walk past the bathroom. It also pre-sprays the toilet bowl.

That's funny. Luckily, our bathroom faces a hallway and we usually keep the door closed so I don't think that will be a problem.

Looking at the Kohler line, I literally can't find a difference between the one I linked and their more expensive ones in terms of functionality - just increasingly absurd styling and lighting gimmicks. Not sure what the equivalent Toto one is. This one maybe?

https://www.totousa.com/neorest-rs-dual-flush-toilet-10-08-gpf

Seems a lot more expensive, though.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I did some more research today and here's what I found. Hopefully none of this is wrong, but it's hard to find good info on this stuff.

The Toto entry level is the Washlet+, while the Kohler entry level is the Innate. Both of these save money by basically being regular toilets that come with a bidet seat from the factory, so all of the actual smart stuff is in the seat.

To step up to a full "ground up" smart toilet, you have the Neorest AH/RH on the Toto side (same features but looks different) and the Karing/Veil on the Kohler side.

The Neorest is getting into eye-watering price territory, and the Karing looks absolutely loving ridiculous and I really don't want to poo poo in an egg.

The Veil is also barking up on 5 grand, but I saw it listed on Amazon for ~3500 earlier today. It's gone now, but it seems like you can get deals like that regularly if you hunt. So tentatively, that's my plan - keep checking for deals on a Kohler Veil and hope I can get one for < 4k from a semi-reputable vendor.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

These links seem helpful:

https://resources.kohler.com/webassets/kpna/brochures/ToiletComparisonChart.pdf
https://clearmoonbidets.com/blogs/news/comparing-toto-neorest-toilets-in-2024

It really doesn't seem like you lose much going with the Innate, but you save a poo poo-ton of money (pun intended). Part of me is like "don't buy the cheapest one, you dummy. It will definitely have a lot of cut corners." but part of me is like "It's half the price. Buy 2."

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BidetKing had a 10% off thing, so I was able to get the Kohler Veil for just over $4k and I pulled the trigger. I was considering the TOTO NEOREST AS, but it was $1k more and I just couldn't do it. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

The 100-flush "reserve" or whatever for power outages would make me so flush-anxious in the event of an extended power outage. That is one fancy rear end toilet.

I have another bathroom and I don't think I've ever had a power outage for more than like 12 hours. If I need to flush the toilet more than 100 times during an outage, the apocalypses happened.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

Right now I'm in a one (functional) bathroom home with 2 adults and 2 young kids. It's like range anxiety in an EV. We rarely have had a power outage long enough for it to matter, but we've had one a year now two years in a row so :ohdear:

I'll think deeply about your plight as I decide on the perfect combination of heat and massage settings for my rear end in a top hat.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

StormDrain posted:

Mine came with a 9v battery backup, so I guess I could just take the ones out of the smoke detectors if that died.

Needing to decide between flushing your fancy toilet and dying in a fire is the future we deserve.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

My toilet is out for delivery and it's literally all I can think about :argh:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Well soooorrrry if I'm excited to not have to wake up and sit on a cold toilet seat in the middle of the night.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Azza Bamboo posted:

Plumb it first

Done. Holy poo poo that took forever.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I say this with absolutely no personal judgement on you whatsoever:

If you're too unsure of your own abilities to attempt to solder pipes or install PEX, you need to hire a plumber.

It's completely fine to look at a job like that and go "nah, I'm not putting in several days worth of YouTube videos and practice and half a dozen trips to the hardware store."

But I've learned the hard way that 5 years from now, you're going to be standing there thinking "what loving IDIOT did this to my water heater... Oh poo poo it was me."

Don't be me.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 11, 2024

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Is this a European thing? Nobody in the US has a cistern in their attic AFAIK and most people don't have expansion tanks on the hot side of their drinking water. I have an expansion tank on the input of the boiler for my radiant heat, but it's just a closed loop on the hot side.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm getting a plumber who can snake the whole 60' if needed, maybe tomorrow, maybe not till next week. But I at least fixed the cap issue:

Slap one of those on every drain in your house except one that you figure out how to connect to a pressure pump and that clog'll be gone in record time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You're startling the ghost trying to take a poo poo.