Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK

Jaypeeh posted:

Hay guys. So I have this super-crusty floor drain in my basement. It's been 100% clogged since I bought the house but I haven't done a lot to fix it so far because it's just super gross and I didn't know where to begin. I finally started trying to get a better understanding about what exactly is going on so I soaked up the small amount of standing water (it rarely has much if any water in it, and I think when it does have water it just evaporates over a few days rather than really draining at all). I then got a skinny piece of metal to try to find any opening, which there doesn't seem to be. There's a pretty hard resistance about 2 inches down the drain. Feels like it's probably rust. I tried somewhat gently tapping into it with the metal stick, it seems like it broke up a little bit of it but I didn't want to go any further for risk of breaking the entire pipe. But what I found really strange was that I noticed several little balls of mercury sitting in the bottom of the drain. Any idea how that could have happened or where it came from? The only time any water really gets to the drain is if I spill something in the laundry room, or sometimes a small amount of water will leak in from the walls if there's a ton of rain. Should I be worried?

You could rent a snake and try to snake it. I'd suggest getting it operational because if something happens ( a washing machine hose burst). The floor drain will help with a lot of the damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

Jaypeeh posted:

yeah I would definitely have to use something high-powered to fully unclog it I think, I'm just worried because whatever has solidified just an inch or two into the drain feels almost rock-hard and there's not even the slightest gap to insert anything into. I think I'd almost have to drill a hole through it just to get it started.. but I fear rust may be the only thing holding the pipe together at that point and the whole thing could just crumble. Sigh, I may just live with it for the time being. Still not sure why the hell there is mercury sloshing around in there though.

That solid entity you are hitting. Are you sure its not the bottom of the P-trap in that floor drain?

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

Rescue Toaster posted:

I'm buying a house that somehow has an indestructible 33 year old natural gas water heater manufactured by State in 1984. Is it even worth having a guy come out and flush/inspect/service it or just plan to immediately replace it? I'd have to know it's 100% working correctly (holding correct temperature, nothing nasty inside) because I've got a mostly decorative immune system.

The home inspector said he thought it must be glass lined to have survived that long, but it wasn't labeled as such. Our water here is not particularly hard, but there's no water softener in the house or anything, so it seems like the thing must be half full of sediments.

If you plan on putting any money to service it just plan on replacing it. A new gas water heater isn't that expensive either. (unless you have a power vent)

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

borkencode posted:

So I just noticed a small trail of rust and wet floor running from my 19 year old water heater to the floor drain, guess it's time to replace it.

I've got a 75 gallon tank right now, which looks like it would be $1000 - $1300 for a replacement unit, plus installation. What should I expect that to cost (in Chicago)?

I'm also trying to look into a tankless option, since my wife is into the idea of unlimited hot water. The units look to be only a few hundred dollars more expensive than a replacement tank, but I'm not sure it would be a simple replacement. Right now the water heater feeds into a chimney along with two furnaces, but from what I've seen tankless heaters need an outdoor air intake that I don't think there's room for with the chimney. Am I out of luck then?

Get a quote on a install of a tankless but it sounds like you may be SOL for the intake.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Ok, I'll return the stuff I just ordered from Amazon and get some real fiberglass insulation.

New question:

The bathroom the previous owner installed looks like it is one of those 3-piece put together shower liners. It looks fine, except that it may possibly be missing the sealant? Should there be some caulking in the cracks here?

Some don't require it based on their build but it won't hurt if you put a nice bead of caulk in it.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

ryde posted:

I was trying to fix a wobbly toilet, which seemed like a job that even I (a complete newbie) could DIY with some videos. Unfortunately, I ran into some issues and am not sure how to proceed.

image album is here.
https://www.avatarnutrition.com/profile/member/
Basically, it looks like the flange was damaged. Rather than fixing it, the edge of the flange was tiled over (probably during a renovation) and a wax cylinder was placed over it. Then the toilet was screwed down into what I assume is the sub floor (I can't get good visibility here). The flange sits below the tile.

I'm trying to figure out if I can fix this with a simple flange repair kit or if I'm going to need to do something about the tile. More critically, i really need to know if I should be calling a plumber before i groverhaus myself.

Thanks!

A flange repair kit would work but i'd be curious to see the tiled flange.

You can always chip a little tile out of the way but if its up to the metal flange ring you are fine.

Make sure you use a wax ring with a horn to help with the difference in flange height.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

effika posted:

So the water here is awful and I've purchased Pur faucet filter, except it doesn't quite go on all the way:

I sent customer service an email to see if they have an extender/adapter for this situation. If there's some pipe or something that I could run to the hardware store and pick up for a buck or two that'd be quicker. Any thoughts?

The filter is definitely not on all the way- it sprays water everywhere!

Take the old aerator to the hardware store. And use there guide to test what threads the aerator has. Then get an adapter to solve the problem.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

effika posted:

I found what size I need, but it doesn't seem to exist? We have an externally threaded (male) faucet that accepts female aerators. It is 55/64" in size. I can't find anything that is female on one end and male on the other without changing sizes. Am I just using the wrong search terms?

I might just give up and get a pitcher filter.

I've used Grainger for some odd ball sizes but as state below go for an RO. The filter you are installing now only removes lead and chlorine (its a carban filter) an RO will remove 99.9% of all contaminants.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

PYROxSYCO posted:

Hi, I'm not that smart when it comes to fixing a stool. But, I have a problem. The back of the toilet's reservoir has a small black rubber hose that keeps pumping water regardless of the tank's fill line. At one point it started to even overflow. I do not know that the cause is. What may be the problem? Would pictures help?

Float could be bad, or it could just be improperly adjusted. Post a picture please.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

Nifty posted:

I have two washing machines sharing one drain line. I want to install a separate drain, and therefore I believe a second p trap. My initial plan was to cut out some of the existing vertical drain (which connects to a stack), and simply install a second branch drain.

But, is that bad to have two separate tees and p traps on one vertical stack? Air bubbles and stuff? Do I need to remove the existing branch, then install a double sanitary tee?

Most likely if you run back to back combo or Tee you will get suds out of the one not being used. I believe to cut in another tee you need it 8 feet away from a suds producing fixture.

Why are you running two machines?

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

Nifty posted:

Yeah its a duplex, so two machines. I was reading a general home repair book and came upon this photo. Here are two p traps right above one another on a vent line - how is that different/better than the added tee/p trap I am contemplating?

This pictures wrong. You can't plumb like that anymore. Basically they wet vented there entire house where now you have to pull off the main drain line with vent that don't connect back into the drain part of the line. (if that makes sence, but its early )

If you cut in the tee with in 8 ft of the other one you most likely will get suds coming up. Also if its a rental I wouldn't really gently caress with it.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

Krakkles posted:

I think I have a dumb plumbing question - the house I'm living in has one of those shower drains that you push down on to change the state - push down, it's closed, push down again, it's open.

It also: Leaks when it's "closed", doesn't drain very fast when it's "open", and doesn't have any markings that would let me find the manufacturer to find a manual.

I tried unscrewing the top, but was not able to remove the stopper. (I'm figuring step one is clear whatever is in there to get it draining acceptably, then step two is figure out why it's leaking while closed.)

Is there a dumb thing that I'm missing? Should I be yanking on it with ChannelLocks?

I'm relatively mechanically competent (I can fix cars) but know basically nothing about houses/plumbing.

Should twist out at the base but post a picture.

Zero VGS posted:

Quick question, the water supply pipe for my house seems to be 3/4"... is this enough for a 2-3 unit house? It is currently 2 family (3 baths), but I'm thinking of finishing the basement and making that into another unit. Is it a big deal to have the supply plumbing upgraded if it's coming in through a single pipe through the basement wall? Guess I'm wondering what the total GPM I can expect from an urban area is.

GPM is based on pressure and volume (pipe size) But if you want to run another bathroom then you will need 1 inch most likely.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

brugroffil posted:

I need to add two supply lines for a humidifier and a freezer ice maker. Both would be tee'd off of existing lines and would use 1/4" copper tubing. I'd like a shutoff valve for each one, too. I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly what sort of fittings I need to assemble to make this happen, though.

I think this is what I want but in a sweat-on style rather than sharkbite:
http://www.sharkbite.com/product/tee-stop/

I couldn't seem to find what I was looking for at any of the big box hardware stores, though. Can anyone point me in the right direciton?

Use a 1/2 copper tee with a male adapter. Screw on a 1/2 IPS valve and a 1/2 MIPx 1/4 compression

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

DustyNuts posted:

My water heater is located in the attic (a dumb loving place for a tank of water to be) and it was leaking so I needed a replacement. I just had to put a new roof on the house, funds were tight, so I shopped around for a bargain and ended up hiring a plumber that offered a crazy low estimate. You get what you pay for, etc. but the water was nice and hot and I had no complaints. To access my attic, you have to use a ladder through the master bedroom closet - I don't go up there often. Now that it's getting cold, I went up there to flip the damper on my aquatherm heating unit, and saw the water heater job for the first time.

It looks like my dude didn't bother connecting the vent to the water heater.

I don't know much of anything, but I'm pretty certain that my tank needs atmospheric venting, and that this is an unfinished job? This plumber has 5 stars on Yelp, Angie's List and the BBB... What do you guys think?

I'd call him back for that. That is horrible.

Minor note the shark bite is pretty bad also.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

Clanpot Shake posted:

Not sure if this is the best place to ask but it involves water moving through pipes so here goes. I bought a house this summer and now that it's cold we've had the heat on. It's a steam radiator system. This piece in the basement has been spurting water when the heat's going:

I understand it's a vent to let air escape the system. You can see the wood around it is wet from all the water getting out. I went to the local hardware store and they didn't have a replacement for it. My thinking is that it's probably gunked up from hard water. Would it work to pop it off and soak it in CLR to clean it out? If not, anyone know where to buy a replacement? Amazon wasn't much help.

For scale, the base of the silver threading is 1" (so the inside is something smaller). And yes I've been keeping an eye on the water levels in the system, the view glass is about a quarter full.

You may be able to get away with cleaning it but depends on the age and how it was made.
Here is a 1/2 air vent on amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Taco-Hy-Vent...L70_&dpSrc=srch

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

Hyperlynx posted:

How's this thing look, to the trained eye? It's made of "dezincification resistent brass" which sounds pretty good to me.

I don't recognize the brand but it looks like its a Australlian brand.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

Seven Round Things posted:

Do the bulbs used in residential UV water purifiers emit visible light when on? Or only invisible UV?

I thought it was visible. But its been many years since i've dealt with one.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

Messadiah posted:

Probably just slides on to the stick and then is held in place with a tiny set screw. Is there a small hole anywhere on the handle that is missing its set screw?

He's right on that delta Faucet.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

kid sinister posted:

FTFY

Gate valves suck. The order of quality for shut off valves is gate < globe < ball.

Unless its an OSY valve. Technically a gate valve and they work great.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Any thoughts on this kitchen faucet? Turns out it's really hard figure out which faucets are good.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/KRAUS-C..._-205331103-_-N

I don't recognise the brand but always check for parts availability. Because it won't matter how nice (or exotic ) your faucet is if you can't get replacement parts for it easily.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

FogHelmut posted:

Why is Pex so good if I have to buy a $60 crimping tool? Where are the savings? I just want to move a washing machine valve 2' over.

You can rent the pex tool from home depot usually. Just prefab all your crimps then go rent the cripper and do it all in an hour or two.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

Most companies will charge to put a camera down becuase the heads are some what fragiile. Most companies will try the snake first.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

The Gardenator posted:

How big is your vent coming out of the roof? My main vent stack is slightly bigger than 4 inches on the inside and had several inches of mud blocking the vent. I couldn't clear it with a manual 3/8" snake, I ended up dragging my wheeled machine onto my roof along with a garden hose.

At least I hope it was mud.

What machine do you use for mainlines? My work just bought me a Spartan 300. I am in love with spartan. Before that I was using a k-60 ridigid sectional. I hated it for the most part. It was light weight though.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

The Gardenator posted:

Mine is a k-400 ridgid from Home Depot, not nearly as fancy as that k-60 or Spartan 300 you use. Although, I only use it for my home, because I figured it would be about the same to buy this machine as to pay a plumber to clear it. It has been definitely worth it as I am sure a plumber would have charged way over $400 to snake 2 toilets and the main vent stack on a roof. No snow where I live, so the roof is nearly flat where the vent stack is.

The 400 is still a decent machine for lighter use. I use a 400 at my last job a lot. Pulled a lot of wipes out of drains with it. Right now I have a k-380 (older version of the 400 i beleive) that ive used on light root clogs and its worked great.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

If it works its not stupid.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

His Divine Shadow posted:

Do you guys use hoses like these where you are? And what they are called if so.
http://www.biltema.se/sv/Bygg/VVS/PEM-plastrorsystem/PEM-slang-2000031784/

PEM hose is what we call them but I have not found anything in english. Used for cold water piping mainly. I wanted to go look for some cheaper couplings and stuff online but it's a bit difficult when you don't know what to search for.

Is that to hook up an air gap from a Dishwasher?

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

Ya but that Poly pipe isnt allowed for water mains, that is some irrigation bullshit.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

VERTiG0 posted:

One out of my outdoor hose spigots has a plastic connector to quickly screw and unscrew hoses, and the whole outer barrel rotates freely. I want to remove it. It leaks like crazy when I turn the valve. I don't know what the hell to call it. Inside the unit is a spring loaded pin that I can pull down, and when I release that it returns up inside the whole thing. There's no obvious way for me to take the whole thing off, unless this is a one-piece thing that includes the valve itself. Here's some photos.

Off:

On, and leaking out of the top:

Any thoughts?

{edit} It appears to be a Watts 8P "non-removable" anti-tamper thermoplastic connector. gently caress

I'm pretty sure those are easy to remove. I think its a coiled spring is what holds it onto the threads. You have to grab onto it with a good pair of channel locks and push down while turning.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

VERTiG0 posted:

I hope so! I will try this out tomorrow before I start smashing the living gently caress out of it. Thank you to everyone for the advice.

Its still a bugger to get off but once you start , it gets easier.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

spog posted:

O hey, my time machine works for posts 24hrs in the future:

He would really have to goon this up to cause it to leak. The vac breaker is down stream of the water shut off.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

Boner Wad posted:

Speaking of filters and softeners, my city water is super hard.

I am tempted to build a two or three stage filter like this just for washing my car.

Could I do something similar for the entire house and maintain water pressure? What’s the recommended direction? Both filter and softener?

I'd just go with a softener and maybe a carbon filter, D-Ionyzed water would be hard on pipes I'd imagine.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

Boner Wad posted:

Oh man, I didn’t realize that deionized water was that bad for pipes.

Any recommendations on softener systems that might be better than another?

Any Fleck, autotrol softeners are good. Kinetico are over priced i think. Have local dealers give you a quote.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

The Dregs posted:

Here is one of the fixtures. Sorry I didn't post this before, I fugured they were pretty standard. It had ridges on it for (I assume) attaching to the handles. But, they're pretty much worn away. The leak is getting worse too!

Pretty sure I found the replacement handle on amazon Here

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

wins32767 posted:

Look for a bit of advice about how to judge the effectiveness of a plumber.

First some background:
Just bought a house originally built in 1915. The seller had done a down to the studs gut and rebuild including new hvac, electrical and plumbing. Before moving in, we hired a plumber to replace the toilets (round->oblong). While that was underway, we noticed that they were flushing slowly. His snake wasn't long enough to clear the blockage so we called a drain guy. His first take was that we had a house trap since his snake got stopped pretty quickly going in the cleanout. He cleaned things out but said we might have problems again down the line and to call him if we did and he'd scope it for us. 4 or so days later we move in and immediately have the drains back up into the basement shower and toilet. We call the drain guy back in and he discovers that there is A) some charred metal and B) some cracked PVC pipe fragments near the junction where the basement drains join the house drain. This is catching the tp and causing a block. They located the block under the (finished) basement floor in the main part of the basement. The drain guy says that we're going to need to rip up the carpet, jackhammer out the concrete, replace the junction piping, and remove the fragments and then put the basement back together.

I have the seller and the plumber that did the work coming over tomorrow to take a look with their scope. Based on how the sale contract was written, my lawyer says that the seller can likely put the plumber on the hook for fixing things. I'm concerned that if he screwed it up the first time (as well as failed to actually attach the flange to the floor on the basement toilet) that he's going to screw it up the second time. On a scale from 1 to 10 where 1 is "everyone is human" to 10 "this guy is probably a colossal gently caress up" where does this plumber likely fall based on the evidence?

Why can't they just Jet the line and clear it. Unless the fragments are gigantic.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

wins32767 posted:

So, to close the loop on this there was a giant metal drain snake shroud (about the size of my hand) in the line. Which is why the jet didn't work.
Shroud? Was it a cutting head or part of a cable. Either way they should be able to snake through and cut it up or push it down stream to a larger pipe.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

SpartanIvy posted:

I now have a working water heater! That's the good news.

Bad news is this is the plumbing that ~$650 for 3 hours of work gets you. I raised questions about the black pipe and galvanized to brass connection when I saw it and was brushed off. I'll point it out the inspector when they come and see what they think.

E: turns out brass is fine to connect to zinc and copper, you just can't connect galvanized pipe straight to copper I guess.

Thought you said it was a standard water heater. It looks like it's a power vent water heater. Which would explain why the price was higher.

And that guy ripped you off. That install looks like garbage.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

SpartanIvy posted:

I figured standard meant opposed to tankless.

Why would a power vent matter? The only difference is that it needs b-vent instead of being able to use single wall within the closet. I already had b vent run to the exterior of the house. Which also if you look at the picture, you'll see isn't properly slid together and he ran screws into, which you don't do on b-vent.

Also the way he did the gas can't be code compliant either.

GG Home Depot. I'm calling them to get him or someone else to come out here and fix it.
:bravo:

Its just more poo poo people have to deal with. I was also thinking they were providing the heater but realized you provided it.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

My sillcock is giving me some problems lately, looking for advice/confirmation of my idea of what's wrong.

It was working fine until Tuesday/yesterday. We watered our garden Tuesday night and shut it off, thinking all was fine.

Last night I go outside and I notice that 3 pinhole leaks formed in our hose (incidentally, this is the third time some pinhole leaks have formed in our hose...not sure if the pressure is too high or the hose is just lovely, it's less than 2 years old.)

So I go to shutoff the sillcock assuming it wasn't shut off Tuesday, but it seems like its' already off. I REALLY crank down hard on it, and it finally turns a tiny bit more and is mostly off...if I disconnect the hose a trickle still comes out, but not enough to matter once I get the hose back on, the pinhole leaks barely have anything come out.

So is it likely a bad rubber washer on the stem of the sillcock? It's a frost-free one, similar to this:

It all depends on how it was made. But you should be able to pull off the handle and loosen the packing nut to pull out the stem and inspect it.

Turd Herder fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 13, 2018

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

Done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

SpartanIvy posted:

Clearly he needs a dieplastic union. Those dissimilar plastics are corroding.

Haha I will ask an apprentice to go find one.