Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Took me a bit to find an appropriate place to ask this so please shuffle me out if I'm lost. This is not an April 1st joke: I have a cursed toilet.

We have a small bathroom that is a 6ftx6ft drywall and tile box on concrete slab, all interior walls. It contains a door, a sink, a tiny corner shower (builtin, not standalone), heater/fan in the ceiling, and a shidder with a builtin cabinet above it. Just enough room for one person to stand in the middle and make all sorts of messes. 1.5 people if you're flexible.

Almost every single time the door is shut, the toilet will immediately run very briefly. Maybe for two seconds. Sometimes if you enter the room quickly, it will run briefly. The speed of the door shutting doesn't seem to change anything. Typically it's not repeatable for a few minutes (as in I can't open and close the door to keep it running constantly). One must exit the bathroom for a few minutes to get it to happen again. It won't display this behavior if someone is already in the bathroom and you attempt to join them in the tiny space.

The fun part? It's not observable. Removing the lid from the tank solves the problem. I thought I was maybe sane and it was coincidence. That perhaps the toilet just randomly ran. I sat outside the bathroom and played video games on my phone for about an hour to see. No running. Did the same inside the bathroom (that sucked and was very uncomfortable). No running.

What the hell might be going on here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

SpartanIvy posted:

Does the bathroom door open outward or inward?

What kind of float mechanism does your toilet use?

Door opens Inward but this happens when I close the door, not when it is opened.

It's a float-cup fill valve like this one:

PainterofCrap posted:

Open the lid and see how high the water level is in the tank. Its probably right at & (due to the miracle of surface tension) slightly above the overflow tube. It doesn't take much movement to shake the floor enough to distirb the surface tension ineough to let water drain down the tube. The float drops, and triggers the float to add water.

My guess is that this is an older home, and the floors deflect & shake when you walk on them. This can be very difficult to detect, unless (like my house) you have tchotchkes all of the place that rock & knock into each other & the walls when I walk around.

So take a tall glass of water, put it on the tank, and walk into the bath, & see if it's disturbed.

Lower the float level a bit so the water level is at least 1/8" below the overflow tube.

The water is about a quarter inch below the top of the overflow tube and the floors are concrete (although it is an older home). Glass of water on top of the tank remains undisturbed when I walk in.

I'll try lowering the float level some more.

Thanks, y'all!

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

KillHour posted:

You're startling the ghost trying to take a poo poo.

spooky dookies!

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

PainterofCrap posted:

Of course it's concrete slab :negative: Ignore everything I said

Can you move the toilet at all? or is is well-fixed to the floor?

I'd then replace the fill valve assembly as noted.

well fixed to the floor. i'll have a look at the valve assembly.

wesleywillis posted:

My wild poo poo in the dark is that it's leaking from the bottom of the shut off valve/ pipe that you posted there.

no leaks that i can see at the moment.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Nitrox posted:

Are we trying to figure out if closing the door to the bathroom creates enough positive atmospheric pressure to flush the toilet?

this was actually my first thought but it doesn't happen when the lid is off the tank.

and it doesn't actually flush. it just runs for 1-2 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

PainterofCrap posted:

I'm still intrigued.

Get the tank to fill half-way, shut off the full valve, put the lid back on, then see if it does it on a partial fill.

well i replaced the valve before i saw this and problem solved. maybe something was loose?