Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bush Ant
Jan 4, 2009

by Fistgrrl
ahh excellent a plumbing thread.
So at our rental place the tennants called to complain about a leaking tap, this tap is about 30 years old and has been reseated before and new washers etc but starts leaking a month or two after. Whatever its a lovely old tap so were going to replace it, however I had a quick look under the sink and saw this.

The copper is pretty badly corroded so its going to be replaced, now I have a few options, either try and replace the copper when i put ina new tap or use those bendy hoses with the stainless mesh over them. Im probably going to get a plumber to put in a screw fitting where the elbows are so I can put the new tap in myself if I go with the bendy pipe.

However, I could most likely do it myself, as I have installed a new outdoor tap at my current house, using 2% nickel silver brazing rod and my mapp torch.

The reason im a little heasitant is that if I hosed up the outdoor tap it wouldnt have been much of a problem, But if I do this and something fucks up in say 6 months time and floods the rental property then insurance probably wont cover the damage to the tennants belongings. So should I remove the elbows and put on a screw fitting myself or get a plumber to do it? I mean its 2 fittings so its a bit of a waste of money to call a plumber out.

Also it might be soft solder on the fittings currently, and due to the age of the house it might be lead so im not sure in that situation, or how to join a fitting to a pipe that has had one on it before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bush Ant
Jan 4, 2009

by Fistgrrl
wow that was a oval office of a job, I did it myself and just cut the pipe and put a compression fitting on it, then steel braided rubber hose to the new taps. But I had to rip the whole loving sink out and then hack saw apart the old taps becuase one was corroded to all gently caress.

time to simply change a set of taps?
3 and a half hours