Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Is there a good reason to have both a hot water heater and a boiler in a house?

Because this house has them both. The upstairs has forced hot air through a gas furnace, the finished basement has a hot water radiator system.

Is the boiler for the cellar heating, and the hot water heater is for general water usage (shower, faucet, etc...)?

The boiler is super old (probably 20+ years), and the heater is 8-9 years, would it be a good idea to combine these two somehow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

HycoCam posted:

Something like this should help with your install without changing the existing drain: https://smile.amazon.com/Amerigap-T52-Air-Gap-Dishwasher/dp/B01EMGZWFK

Oh poo poo, the house I just bought has one of these installed through the counter with the underside completely cut off. I had no idea what it is. Thanks! :tipshat:

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Quick question about changing the washer in an outdoor hose bib. The one I took out looked like it had beveled edges, the one I put in had a straight edge. It doesn't appear to be leaking at all, is it an issue?

eta: May as well add another question in:

Will this work to insulate the A/C duct that runs through my garage? It's the only part of the duct that's exposed, and it gets a lot of condensation on it (especially when the garage door is open.)

https://www.amazon.com/Reflectix-DW...work+insulation

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Ok, I'll return the stuff I just ordered from Amazon and get some real fiberglass insulation.

New question:

The bathroom the previous owner installed looks like it is one of those 3-piece put together shower liners. It looks fine, except that it may possibly be missing the sealant? Should there be some caulking in the cracks here?

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

Do you have hard water? Because this sounds like the kind of thing that happened before I got a water softener.

Did your water softener affect the taste/smell of your water? I saw an episode of This Old House where the plumber installed a whole house water softener to improve taste/smell, but what I've read online seems to be that it doesn't really affect that?

My house's water tastes horrid (to me, kids drink it fine), and our clothes smell meh after going through the wash, and the towels especially smell terrible shortly after use. I've deep cleaned the washer and it helped quite a lot, but that lingering bad smell is still there. I'm guessing it's the odor of the water itself.

e: I just looked it up and turns out it was a whole house water filter. https://www.thisoldhouse.com/watch/ask-toh-water-filter-fire-pit

It still seems to be really hit or miss and subjective as to whether it will improve the taste of the water. I've lived all over Boston, and never once had an issue with drinking tap water. This water is goddamn terrible, though.

SouthShoreSamurai fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 19, 2018

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
City.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Which one did you get? I may be in the market for one myself. Tapwater at my house is godawful.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
That's great info, thanks!

e: I've never installed one of these. Do you have to put the diverter on the nozzle head, or can you tap the cold water line below the sink?

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
I'm looking to put in a sump pump in an outside dry well, because it's the central drainage point for my entire yard and when it backs up it overflows right up against my house and causes flooding. (The proper fix is to rip everything up and re-grade away from the house and install a proper french drain, but that's not happening this winter. Right now I need to be able to divert a lot of water quickly when this backs up.)

I'm looking at this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00554SP3K/?tag=jecwebsite-20 for the pump. The other issue is I need to pump it about 80-90 feet away. I'm having trouble finding hose that long, so I'm looking at buying several of these https://www.amazon.com/WAYNE-66000-...T6E4YR4REEVSY61 and combining them.

Anything crazy wrong with this plan so far?

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
I need to move my laundry box. I was thinking that since I've already got the wall open and I have to put in a new box anyway, I would put in a little extra insurance and get one of these https://ndaonline.net/watts-A2C-WB-M1-intelliflow-with-wall-box/

Anyone have any experience with them? Good idea or no?

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

SourKraut posted:

Why not put a automatic water shutoff meter/valve on your common supply coming in? That wall box is neat, but it obviously doesn't protect the other areas that would likely see failure, such as dishwasher, refrigerator water/ice maker, valve flex lines, toilet flex lines, etc.

Mainly because I didn't know such a thing existed. What do you recommend?

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Nitrox posted:

Replacing a toilet is potential grounds to deny your security deposit because I'm sure your lease stipulates this exact thing somewhere. The liability potential is through the roof floor. Don't touch it unless your landlord approves this IN WRITING.

:haw:

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Anyone know what's going on with this shower handle?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxFUp2iINWo

I replaced the cartridge that was leaking behind it about... 2 years ago?

(I also tried to take it out today, got the set screw out and cannot get the handle off.)

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Anyone know what's going on with this shower handle?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxFUp2iINWo

I replaced the cartridge that was leaking behind it about... 2 years ago?

(I also tried to take it out today, got the set screw out and cannot get the handle off.)

Hoping this is an easy fix? I've a call out to the plumber just because I don't have a ton of time to spend on this.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Shifty Pony posted:

Bonus HVAC fuckery that you might have seen me post in other threads. I would say it is plumbing adjacent but "adjacent" would be an improvement.

Is that... a pipe going straight through your duct?

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
I don't know if this is more plumbing or HVAC, but I want to replace the fart fan in my bathroom.

Issue the first: The current fan is original to the house (1970). This fan is a 6" directly into a vertical vent through the roof.

I cannot change this into a horizontal vent because:

Issue the second: I have no access to the attic. The roof on this house is stupidly low pitched, and it's only about 1-3 feet from ceiling to roof and full of trusses.

I'm having a hell of a time finding one locally. The closest I found is this on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Extractor-HG...C72&sr=8-3&th=1

Does anyone have any experience with this particular scenario?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
My money's on tree root infiltration of main sewer line.