Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tolstoi
Apr 3, 2001
A quick question, I'm at my mothers house with a water pressure tank with a bladder in it, and it has been clicking on and off, with the pressure gauge going up and down. It's one of those blue tanks and it operates off of a well, out in the country.

Is this an easy enough fix? From what I can tell it's a case of Short Cycling, but I wanted to make sure before I went all crazy working in my mother's basement on it.

I'm thinking I need to replace the switch, but it's also possible that it needs air. It was repressurized two months ago, but she has been out of town and no one was here to know when it actually started, until I got here late/early Monday morning.
I can't really shut it off atm, because she has a couple living in a detached apartment who need what water they have right now.

I don't really know what other info to post, and I need to rest for other family crap in the morning.

Oh, the water goes from hot to cold over and over while taking a shower, which is a rude awakening as well.

Edit: the tank is also connected to a water softener. I've read that it could also be a clogged filter, but I'm not sure if it would be located inside the softener or on the actual tank.

Tolstoi fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jun 25, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tolstoi
Apr 3, 2001
It starts off fine. I can get it to be warm, then every 15-20 seconds it goes from warm to ice cold, then to super hot, then back to warm. Lather rinse repeat until you get out. I just heard my son freak out in the shower because of it now too.

The pump was off until he started the water just now, now I can hear it running on and off over and over again.

Tolstoi
Apr 3, 2001
Well, the guy I had out the other day said that the tank was bad, that the bladder had ruptured. So I took out the old tank, after following the instructions, got all the pipes hooked back up with the tape and putty in the right spots.

After firing everything back up, I made sure there were no leaks and let the tank fill up.

The only thing that I am at a loss for now, is the pressure switch. I wrote down the way the wires in the box were hooked up, however, after looking at the cover, it looks like the switch was wired wrong to begin with. I hooked it back up the way it was originally, the power from the box coming in on ths Left most Line and Load wires.
code:
Line    Load    Load   Line
  |       |       |      |
Black   Black   White  White
  \       \______/______/-----
   \            /
----\__________/
fired everything up, and let the tank fill up, right until the breaker switch popped.

I took the cover off and changed the wires to correspond to the diagram on it,
code:
Line    Load     Load    Line
  |       |        |       |  
White   Black    Black   White
  \_______/         \______/
 -----|                 |-----
After doing this, I make sure everything is nice and tight and covered. Turned the power back on, and watched the pressure gauge go up to about 80psi and water started coming out from beneathe the pump switch. I cut the power, at least the breaker didn't pop this time, and let what water was left drain to drop the pressure. and this is where I'm stuck, unsure what to do.

I'm tired, cranky, hungry, and on dial-up so any suggestions would be apprecieated.

Tolstoi fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jun 28, 2009

Tolstoi
Apr 3, 2001
yeah, it turned out to be Black Black White White, but I had the two black wires swapped for some reason. The nieghbors boyfriend is an electrician and came by and showed me where I had screwed up, and how the switch had fused together from the overload.

I took it off and cleaned it and put the wires back in place and it worked out fine. I did go and get a replacement switch just in case and swapped them out.

I am now going to take a much delayed high pressure shower, and celebrate my victory over failure with pork chops and rum.