Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I've got a horrible water hammer that developed in a downstairs toilet a year after I moved in. Turning off the water to the house and trying to flush the system does nothing. Next I thought I'd replace the toilet tank mechanism, but that's all that occurred to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Well I'm annoyed now. I'm trying to stop a leak in my Delta shower, I think the model is Monitor 1700 if it matters, and the damned nut won't come off, Here's what it looks like:

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

If I'm not mistaken I need to take out that greenish-bronze nut that will allow me to yank out the cartridge. If I'm not mistaken, it unscrews in the conventional way (counter-clockwise) But I can't unscrew the damned thing, it's stuck tight. I'm using a fuckoff-big pipe wrench and have pulled so hard I flex the copper on the other side (I do NOT want need to take the wall off, so I'm kinda careful).

I've let it sit in a washcloth soaked overnight in vinegar, then tried CLR. Still stuck. The only other thing that occurs to me is to hit the nut with a blowtorch while keeping ice on the rest of the assembly to get the nut to expand. But if I do this I'm afraid I'll melt the cartridge, I only have the seats/springs kit (or maybe just seats/gaskets, I forget). Either way if I melt the cart I'm in for a world of hurt.

Suggestions anybody?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

One trick is putting channel locks on the base of the shower body and then twisting the nut with another wrench. If you back the body properly it wont be able to spin at all. You may need to cut some fiber glass back. Make sure you cut less then the shower trim plate will covers.
This is good. Can you just confirm that is a damned nut, it's on so tight I'm starting to doubt myself and wonder if the loving thing is welded on!

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

Ya I am pretty drat sure its a nut, give me like a 45 degre angle of it so i can see the nut and body. I honestly havent seen a delta single handle style handle that isnt like that.

Click here for the full 1549x1593 image.

Click here for the full 648x484 image.

I was really starting to wail on it just now, note the striped brass. Should I be screwing it clockwise or something instead?
All of the delta stuff online shows it as a nut, but drat it's stuck like nothing I've dealt with before, at last in a new house. I've done full redos of iron pipe in a 20's house and had to use a blowtorch, but this shower is almost new, and I just wanted to fix a loving leaky faucet. dammit.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

insanity74 posted:

I've run into this same issue on a Delta. I can confirm that it is a nut, and follows the left-loosy righty-tighty rule. I fought with mine for a while. I was using channel locks, and when I was grabbing the nut, it was actually clamping the nut to the threads. I ended up using a small squirt of WD-40 and, believe it or not, a lot less pressure, and the thing finally came off. It ended up being about finesse, not brute force.
AHA, awesome, I'll try that now.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Well insanity174 wins, the pipe wrench clamps down on the threads so it didn't move. I gotta stop treating all plumbing like century-old iron. I didn't damage anything in the process, which is nice, but did manage to reverse hot and cold some, I'll fix that tonight (I hate finishing projects at midnight).

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I really hate Draino (or any other caustic product) because if it doesn't work you have a loving sink full of Draino (or any other caustic product). I've better luck with baking soda and vinegar than that poo poo anyway.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

kid sinister posted:

Why not just disconnect the doorbell and turn the circuit back on? It's really easy to do. Go outside with a flathead screwdriver, take off the doorbell button, unscrew the wires from the button, separate them and turn the circuit back on.
Or if the doorbell button is hard to get to (painted over or whatever) do the same thing at the chime end.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Do NOT just twist it off with a pipe wrench - they very well could be soldered and inaccessible; mine are (were). If you know the brand then finding a rebuild kit is easy, if you don't the you can do what I did and cobble one together out of various parts and cut rubber sheeting .

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Grifter posted:

I'm not sure if this is really a plumbing question, let me know if I should take it to the general DIY thread. I am a brand new homeowner. My new home did not come with a dryer or washer, but it did come with the hookups. I'm buying a washer and gas dryer. After talking to home depot ($260 installation) and talking to a local plumber ($450 installation) I'm now just considering installing the gas dryer myself because those prices seem pretty crazy to me. Is this a reasonable thing to do for someone who has no experience in this area?
Those prices are loving nuts considering you have the hookups already, all you need are new lines, some teflon tape (white for water yellow for gas) a level, an adjustable wrench and *maybe* a pair of pliers.

Lowe's hooked up the washer in my last house for free.

Edit - and a screwdriver and new dryer vent duct.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
This is the first house I've owned with copper plumbing so I'm a bit lost (iron was so easy). I want to replace leaky hose faucet that's connected via this thing:

I did this last year on another outdoor faucet and thought I could treat it like iron (soy estupido). I of course twisted up the upstream copper and I had to replace the whole run.

What's the right way to get that off? I'm thinking from the inside (duh) with a pipe wrench holding the threads by the copper, and that connector comes off with the faucet. Is this the right idea?

( That foamy stuff is liquid wrench, I hit it with that on general principal since it took a lot of effort to get the shutoff closed).

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Well I’ve had my water softer working marginally for years, because gently caress Culligan, but now that I replaced the dishwasher it’s really bugging me. I think to replace this with whatever brand Costco is selling today I just need to unscrew the black plastic fittings I’ve circled and then hook up the replacement. After setting to hard water and turning off the supply of course. That look right? The valve to the left is some silly-assed combination of welding and threaded that looks like a logic puzzle so I’d really prefer to leave it.

Lol on the spiderweb I didn’t notice until i took the flash photo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Where is the Toto electrical hookup?