Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Leperflesh posted:

it was toilet ghosts

they were haunting that specific valve and now you have laid them to rest

You have been blessed by the holy poo poo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

ptier posted:

Thank you! I knew I wasn't using the right term. And yea, here is to not breaking stuff.

I forgot one thing... Some fixtures have different stems for either hot or cold. It's usually if one stem turns clockwise and the other one turns counter clockwise. If both your handles turn the same way, then you'll have the same stem for both sides.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 5, 2024

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

ptier posted:

Not these! I found my guys Speakmans! https://www.faucetpartsplus.com/product_p/413361.htm

Got them ordered and await my 5-7 business days until shipping! I did buy some new handles that hopefully won't round out (or need to have little allen key adapters that can get loose).

I'd still take your new stems to the hardware store and find the proper handles for them. Those universal handles with the set screws suck and will round off any stem given enough time.

Found some: https://www.noelsplumbingsupply.com/product/speakman-tub-handle/

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 8, 2024

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

SpartanIvy posted:

My American Standard shelf back sink had both knobs turning counter clockwise and I hated it. Luckily I found a new manufacture kit where the hot tap turns counter clockwise.

Some faucets like Delta you just need to take the bonnet off, pull out the stem, spin it 180 degrees and put it back in.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Excellent! Those will look sharp!

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

AlternateNu posted:

I have a relatively simple problem, but I wanted to check what my options are. As of a few days ago, I started hearing a dripping noise coming from the back of my toilet. Checked it out to see a small puddle back there. Initial thought was the supply line (or worse, the cutoff valve) was leaking. But after closer inspection, it seems like it was coming from the seal around the threaded pipe coming out of the tank. See picture:

Leaking stops when the tank is about 1/4 full. So, there is a pressure threshold. And when I moved to tighten/untighten the supply line connector, jostling that pipe, water bubbles started spurting from the edges of the circled areas in the picture.

Would it be fine to just empty out the tank and caulk around the interior and exterior of that seal? Would it be better to just replace the whole toilet? (I plan on doing that at some point anyway because all three toilets in this place are non-standard, low sitting decorative one-piece bowls that aren't the most comfortable things to sit on and use a shitton of water. Why are colored toilets so goddamn expensive? :psyduck: )

Just replace the fill valve. You'll get a new seal included. Fill valves are only like $10.

Colored toilets were always like that. My grandparents with their lavender toilet... If you replace your toilet(s), you want American Standard Cadet 3. They're absolutely bulletproof.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Rescue Toaster posted:

2) I have a 'frost-free' outdoor hose hookup that's cracked, because the hose was left on and so the ice creeped back inside and it broke inside the house. Made a hell of a mess the first time we turned it on and didn't realize it was spraying water inside. Thankfully it closes. Unfortunately the internal valve assembly, though it had screw threads, was slid OVER the copper pipe and soldered on? My thinking would be cutting it off, putting a screw hookup on, so that future hose hookups could be swapped out? That seems too daunting unless I have a torch to do my own soldering. Shark bite with a female screw end? But those don't rotate so I'm not sure how it would work.

Just solder a new one in. Measure or take the old one to the store to match its length. You may want to open the new one up, unscrew its stem, then solder on the new housing, then finally assemble the thing again.