Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch
I've got a question about something that's been stumping me.

For background info, we had the plumbing for the drain of our kitchen sink redone because it was leaking. Our dishwasher pump/drain out has always shared the same pipe down to sewage.

Since the work was completed, I've noticed water pooling in the base of our dishwasher. I've shut off the water supply to the dishwasher for 24 hours to confirm it wasnt water leaking in that way. This is clearly water from the sink making it into the dishwasher.

Enclosed is a picture. For the record, the connection marked in green is the dishwasher out. That corrugated flexible pipe goes all the way up, in a high loop, and is secured to the underside of the kitchen counter before travelling back down again to the dishwasher out. It is not a code requirement to have an air break in my area (toronto, canada), although I know this would solve the problem. The high loop should be sufficent according to what I have read. I don't understand how water is getting up this thing though, when its loop is clearly higher than the out to the main drain.

Red is the kitchen sink out, green is dishwasher out, although it isnt apparent in the pic, the kitchen sink trap goes lower than the dishwasher trap. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Saltin fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 23, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

Wow that's very loving interesting to say the least. I don't know why they'd put in 2 p traps. The dishwasher pumps out the water so it can pump the water up hill and then back down. Unless you're having any issues with it i'd leave it.

That's just it, I am having an issue. From time to time, when I open the dishwaser, I notice it is full of water. This water isnt water left over from the dishwasher not draining properly. It isnt water from a leaking water supply.

The water is coming from somewhere else. The only place it could be coming from is basically up the green line and into the dishwasher. This means water from the sink draining is somehow getting into the dishwasher!

Saltin fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Aug 24, 2009

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

Ahz posted:

You could replace the vertical sink drain pipe right above the sink p-trap with one that has an attachment for the dishwasher hose. It's a very common part and is angled so that nothing will come back up.

This is what I was thinking too, I was sure I'd seen that somewhere before. Will try it out, thanks!

grover posted:

How much water is it? Your dishwasher may be siphoning out the p-trap when it's done draining. Probably why nobody ever does it that way.

It's more than that, and it builds slowly over time with the use of the kitchen sink (far as I can tell).

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

Can i see a picture of the top of your sink. To see if you actually have room for an air gap.

Using a dishwasher wye direclty before the P trap isnt technically legal but i doubt you want to drill your stainless steel sink (im assuming you have stainless, you can drill your counter top if there is room but it can look tacky) to install an air gap.

Yeah there isnt much room for an air gap and I aint drilling the Corian. A high loop is all that is required by code here. I hear you though, like I said in the OP I know that would fix the issue.