Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
I've successfully replaced my hot water heater, but I'm having a real bastard of a time with the burner. After replacing the old unit with a slightly smaller new unit I can't get the burner to stay lit.

The pilot will light (and stay lit indefinitely as far as I can tell), but as soon as I try to light the main burner with the temperature control knob, it ignites for about 3-5 seconds and then flares out.

My gas main is working correctly; I tested the gas furnace and it operates just fine. Not sure what to do. I'm hoping this doesn't mean the heater I just spent all day replacing is defecive or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

where did you get the heater from, how many BTU's is it?

It sounds like the thermal coupling could be messed up but i need more info.

Lowes', it is a Whirlpool 30 gal 30,000 BTU natural gas unit.

I am calling the warranty/customer support line tomorrow to see what the deal is.