Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hielonueve
Jul 10, 2004

grover posted:

PEX really is great stuff; I think it gets a bad rap just because it's so simple, so cheap and so reliable that anybody can do it. It's almost too easy... It's lead to entirely new approaches to plumbing- PEX houses often don't have networks like copper houses do, but instead use a manifold near the water heater with runs directly from there to each fixture. (It's about the same price to run 5 individual unbroken 1/2" lines to a bathroom than it is to run 3/4" hot/cold and split them out in the walls.) The worst part was that it required a $100+ crimp tool to crimp the copper sleeves onto the fittings (and you need 3 different sizes...), but new fittings now have made it less of an issue for small DIY jobs. Those shark-bite fittings are pricey, but they're great if you don't have access to a crimp tool, or if the space is simply too tight to use a crimp tool, like it often is under sinks.

OPINIONS ABOUT PEX, PLEASE!

I'm thinking of adding a bath, replacing some fixtures in another bath and possibly a couple outdoor faucets and, I need to replace a few runs of copper that have corroded. I'm fairly certain that without maintaining a water softener I'll have corrosion again. So, I'm thinking of just purchasing a manifold (or two) and running PEX out to everything, then connecting the necessities and the supplies (and then the rest, just as a matter of making sure I don't overestimate my ability to finish in a timely fashion.)
It seems like PEX is much easier and cheaper to install and maintain. Is there anything wrong with this plan? I've read a couple isolated instances of rodents chewing the pipe but, it seems very rare (or possibly an old plumber's tale/myth.)

hielonueve fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 24, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU