Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

stubblyhead posted:

I've got a persistent and very annoying knocking sound coming from my plumbing. It appears to be in the drain lines--if you fill up the kitchen sink or the tub there's no noise when the water is running, but once you empty it there's a loud thunk that repeats every 10 seconds or so. The interval gets farther apart after the drain is opened. It does seem to stop eventually, but even very late at night when no one's used the plumbing for quite a while there's still an occasional sound. Everything is draining well, but it possible this could be due to a partial clog that's not severe enough to block draining entirely? We've lived in the house for around 18 months or so, but it's only been the last couple weeks that this has been happening.
Check the drain vent (the pipe that goes up through the roof) and see if it's clogged. Be careful checking it though, because if it is there's a good chance it's bees or wasps nesting and the last thing you want is to be on the roof and get a faceful of bees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Count Roland posted:

No but its probably similar materials. I need Schedule 80 does it doesn't blow up in my face.

Its actually for an experiment, I want to force CO2 into its supercritical state, then move the fluid over some organic stuff (like oregano or coffee) to extract the oils out. I'll put a hole in both the caps, one for the pressure gauge and one for the fluid output.
https://www.grainger.com/product/GR...%26s_pp%3Dfalse

Enjoy your weed oregano and coffee.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Hubis posted:

Since I'm here, on an unrelated note: Right now our washing machine is emptying into the laundry sink through a flex hose clamped to the top of the basin. This is all well and good, but since I foolishly consider myself moderately handy I was wondering: is there any advantage to that over, say, having it drain straight into the main stack that it is sitting literally right in front of (or rather, draining into the same run as the laundry sink)? If I modified the sink run I assume I'd need a separate P-trap for the washing machine. Is there an option to run it into the sink under the drain, a la a kitchen sink/dishwasher/garbage disposal? Since I use that room as a workshop, sometimes I've got things sitting in the basin and it would be cool to not have it fill with water whenever someone wants to do laundry.
You can't run it into the pipe upstream of the sink's trap. If the drain pipe is at least 2" (it should be 2" for a laundry sink anyway) you can drain into that. It needs its own p trap, a standpipe minimum 18" and maximum 30" (30" is best practice) with the top above the washing machine's overflow level, and you'll probably have to add piping to keep the laundry sink vented.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

ExcessBLarg! posted:

OK, good to know.

What's the consensus on optimal hot water temperature now? I know 120°F is recommended to avoid scaling but there's the whole legionella crap. With the current setup I'm finding water temperatures of 117° at the utility tub closest to the tanks and 113° at our kitchen sink, which is the furthest fixture away from them. Since our dishwasher recommends 120° incoming hot water I figure I'll have to raise the electric tanks 5-10° to get in the 120-125° range and raise the gas accordingly.
Keep it above 140° in the tank and use a mixing valve on the tank output to lower the temperature and prevent scalding. Hot water should reach fixtures at or above 122° per OSHA receommendations

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Jadunk posted:

Rumor is 140 w/ mixing valve is going to start being manufacturers rec very soon even for regular water heaters. A.O. already recommends the power vent models be run at 140+. (dunno if it's in the install instructions yet but it is one of the things they want us to do when we're working on their water heater warranty poo poo)
Good to hear they're keeping up with newer health standards. Speaking of scalding prevention, it's probably common knowledge in the plumbing thread but one-handle shower faucets typically have an adjustable stop to prevent the handle from turning past where you set it. You have to take the handle/knob off but it should take less than five minutes unless you're like me and have no idea where you put your Allen wrenches last time you used them.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Weil McClain Gold Oil boiler, ~19 years old, had a small drip starting a few months ago and it recently got worse. There's a small hairline crack at the top of the wet part.

I can't afford to replace it and won't be able to anytime soon. Is there and hope of repairing it myself or having someone repair it?

edit: After looking it up, I spent half an hour sanding it down to the bare metal, cleaned it, and put JB Weld on it. It's setting and appears to have wicked into the crack a little bit, so hopefully it will hold.

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Feb 21, 2016

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

It could be welded but you'd have to get someone who is certified to weld pressure vessels. It would me pretty expensive I imagine. Most likely replacing would be the best option. It's a shame it's not just the gasket it's leaking but it really looks like the metal has pit enough to leak.

I wonder if you could just replace the door itself?
It'a a crack, no doubt about it. I made the mistake of grabbing JB Kwik instead of JB Weld. instantly failed when I repressurized the system. I ground and sanded all of it off, which took half an hour even with a torch, ground and sanded all rust, and am currently waiting the 24 hours it takes Blue Magic Kwksteel to cure. It cures between 80 and 100°F to 900+ PSI and a working temperature of 2400°F. I have a space heater up against the furnace to keep it above 80. If this doesn't do it, I'll be teaching mysel a crash course in how to replace the front segment of the boiler.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

rhombus posted:

Moen. After all this headache I was hoping to get the drat handles the wife wants on there, but maybe I should just look at finding replacements for the old plastic crystal knobs.
The last Moen faucet I bought came with had a metal handle and an ugly plastic crystal one. You might be able to find an interchangeable part, but you also might need to replace the whole fixture to get the knobs you want.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

The valve looks OK as long as it was working and you can get the corrosion off without damaging the face. If the big box stores don't have them, the plumbing supply place should. Since it's a compression fitting and the seal is made by the gasket and not the pipe thread you don't need to dope or tape the threads.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Parts Kit posted:

Another toilet question - last night mine suddenly started to fill extremely slowly. If I turn off the flow at the wall and turn it back on it starts filling at a normal rate, but with a odd higher pitched sound that is new. I take it the fill valve has gone?

ed: gently caress it, no idea how old that valve is anyways and since it was like $12 for a fancy one I'm just going to go ahead and replace it and see what happens.
Same thing happened to me a couple of years ago. I spent the extra few bucks on the quiet one and it's more than worth it.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

angryrobots posted:

Price of scrap copper is also down.
Prices of scrap everything are down. This time last year you could get $13/lb for hard drive controller boards, now it's $2. I'm hoarding 286/386/486 processors and boards in the hope that prices recover.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Motronic posted:

Ninja edit for ghetto solution: if you can't find the right parts just get a hose thread cap for the valve. I'd much prefer doing that than trying to remove and replace the entire assembly from the water heater if it's more than a few years old/hard water/poor maintenance/unknown maintenance.
I did this for a purge valve on my furnace and it works fine.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Volume posted:

Thanks for the answers but I'll really not looking to replace the whole spout. I like the spout I have now I just need the little ball on top. I currently got a nut screwed on to to keep it in place.
You might be able to find a cabinet handle or drawer pull with the same threading. If you can find the model number, the manufacturer will probably send you a new one for free or a few bucks.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

GobiasIndustries posted:

Kitchen sink in my rental apartment had been having flow problems from the faucet (slow pouring, draining has bee fantastic). I went to wash my lunch dishes and the stream dried up. While I had the taps on trying to figure out what was going on, my downstairs neighbor called and said her kitchen ceiling was dripping. I'd checked the faucet last week when I noticed the flow was slow and there weren't any buildups on the filter, and the guy that showed up after I called my rental company said 'the whole thing's gotta go' and showed me some broken parts he pulled out of the faucet. He left and said I should be OK to use the thing, and now the flow is absolutely perfect on both hot+cold and apart from the spray nozzle leaking when I turn either hot/cold on (and the spray nozzle not shutting off the main faucet when in operation), it works perfectly.

tl;dr my sink seems to be working mostly fine after the repair guy showed up but he's scheduled a full faucet (and/or sink) replacement for monday, why is it necessary?
The diverter for the sprayer went bad and he removed it so you had water flow. Either the diverter valve isn't readily available, he couldn't find the model of your current faucet, or the faucet is old and fixing this would just push the next failure down the road a bit to where the landlord gets pissed and asks him why he didn't fix it right the first time.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, closed circuit.

The only waste water that'll happen is what'll go through the relief valve when it reaches maximum pressure. As said, the system found a balance of 0.8bar cold and 3.0bar when the whole circuit is under temperature.

What I'm mainly interested in is where the efficiency losses are supposed to come from. Would the pressure difference of 2.2bar during different times of operation influence the capability of carrying thermal energy? If so, why, anyway?
The specific heat of water decreases slightly with increased pressure, but the difference is so minuscule at 2.2 bar that it's irrelevant.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Motronic posted:

Follow up: JFC Raised by Hamsters, this fixed like everything annoying about my kegorator! Yes I can hear the bubbles coming out when it's turned down but it doesn't matter. Perfect pours from the start. Too slow for a commercial bar, but 100% perfect for a garage.

Thanks man, this has improved my quality of my life.

Edit:

Mmmmmm....garage beer.

This post makes me happy.

effika posted:

New toilet time!

We have a tiny bathroom with a 10" rough in and a max of 27" length for the toilet from wall to front edge. We need a standard height toilet, not one of the comfort height ones.

Are we going to hate the one that seems to fit the dimensions? It's an American Standard Cadet Pro, model number 215DB.004.
I have a small toilet to match my tiny bathroom (as far as I know it's the one from when they built the house in 1956) and I'm fine with it despite being way taller and a bit wider than most people. A comfy seat is more important than a big toilet, don't get the $4 one from Home Depot and you'll be fine.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Put in some Drano foam overnight.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

hey girl you up posted:

I have been looking for an excuse to buy an angle grinder.

But I have other stuff I should buy first.
An angle grinder costs $15 at Harbor Freight. Just do it.

Related: if you ever need to disassemble an old upright piano, popping the old strings just below the tuning pegs with an angle grinder is quick, easy, safe, and makes noises that I wish I had recorded for future generations of black metal and industrial bands to sample. RIP, world's ugliest piano.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

GWBBQ posted:

Weil McClain Gold Oil boiler, ~19 years old, had a small drip starting a few months ago and it recently got worse. There's a small hairline crack at the top of the wet part.

I can't afford to replace it and won't be able to anytime soon. Is there and hope of repairing it myself or having someone repair it?

edit: After looking it up, I spent half an hour sanding it down to the bare metal, cleaned it, and put JB Weld on it. It's setting and appears to have wicked into the crack a little bit, so hopefully it will hold.
Finally, this past weekend, I swapped in a used replacement that was in excellent condition with a higher quality burner. If you can solder and work with iron pipe and do wiring and have incredible friends who will drive from CT to Long Island to pick up a furnace you bought on eBay and make 3 trips to a plumbing supply store and 7 to Home Depot, you should have no problem doing it yourself and saving over $6000 compared to the cheapest quote you can get locally.

Being in SW CT, this was a good weekend to get heat and hot water back.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Buying a house and home inspector noted no expansion tank on the water heater and no tube on the pressure relief valve. Are either of these things DIY’able repairs?
Water heaters are pretty straightforward, but those two are easy. The tube on the pressure relief valve doesn't have to hold pressure itself, so this is where you decide to pic up a torch and learn to sweat solder. The water tank is really easy if there's a fitting in place for it, but adding one is really easy with iron pipe and not too bad with copper. Check out videos on YouTube on adding an expansion tank.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I just realized something, it it going to be possible to find someone who will do a tuneup on a furnace I installed myself? Should I find someone independent who will do it before looking for a service contract?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Try asking here

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

That's an expansion chamber and you'll find it's very necessary for your two stroke toilet to idle properly.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Jaded Burnout posted:

Here you go:

It's probably the same here, and I don't mind doing things like individual traps per fixture even if they turn out to technically not be needed, but don't worry about this being up to local code since it's a temporary fitting and will be entirely thrown away and redone by a proper plumber when I put the real kitchen in. As long as it's safe and functional I'm happy, if that happens to match IPC I don't mind.
The things that stand out to me as wrong with this include dishwasher on cold instead of hot, washing machine with only cold, and nothing is vented. I'm also really confused about a water drain on a dryer.

edit: just discovered that ventless dryers exist, so scratch that last one.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

chutwig posted:

I could use some suggestions for how to thaw out the hot water supply line going to my kitchen sink/dishwasher.
Depending on how far down the ice plug is, you could try ice maker tube, a syringe or pump, and hot water. Disconnect the supply as far back as you can, stick the tube in, and start pushing hot water through once you hit something solid.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Bad Munki posted:

Finally, the shower I’ve been unironically dreaming of.

Screw my water bill, I want it in my life.
Years ago, when I was extremely sleep deprived, I thought about how great it would be to have a carwash-style shower where I didn't have to do anything. Apparently this exists.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

spog posted:

Yes. It's called a 'carwash'
Insurance doesn't want them to let people through without a car.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

My house was built in 1956 and has a cast iron tub. Are the positions of the drain and overflow relative to each other standard or will I need to measure and customize?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

metallicaeg posted:

Toilet question:

For a few weeks now it seems I've been needing to flush twice to actually get the bowl to empty. First attempt kinda takes out half the contents but the other half just sits and spins. After the tank fills attempt number 2 fully empties.

It doesn't overflow on the first flush, and the water level in the bowl doesn't even rise noticeably at all.
On the second flush, it's swift and normal, which seems to indicate I don't have a clog.

I don't get what could be making the first flush nearly useless with a second one a minute later acting normal.
You have a dual flush toilet so you can just hit the lever for #1 and use less water or hold it down to fully empty the tank for #2.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

toilet is hooked up to hot water
New thread title?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Turn off your water at the meter, open every faucet in the house with shower handles set to the middle, and once it's completely drained out of the lowest faucet, turn it back on and close each one in order from lowest to highest. If the showers have thermostatic valves that don't work with reduced pressure, turn them to full cold and full hot separately until sputtering stops.
I can't be the only one who thought that was a vacuum cleaner at first glance.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

CaladSigilon posted:

No joy. I did notice something while doing so, though, and that is that running the sink in the room with the problem makes the pipe banging much less audible. The sink water is pulsing though.

Edit: When I went and took a shower this morning, I realized the banging was completely gone! Maybe the invocation ritual human sacrifice fix took time to work.

Thanks so much!

Nice, you're welcome.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

If there's no visible damage, you probably twisted it inside the wall.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

SpartanIvy posted:

I now have a working water heater! That's the good news.

Bad news is this is the plumbing that ~$650 for 3 hours of work gets you. I raised questions about the black pipe and galvanized to brass connection when I saw it and was brushed off. I'll point it out the inspector when they come and see what they think.

E: turns out brass is fine to connect to zinc and copper, you just can't connect galvanized pipe straight to copper I guess.
I feel so much better about installing my own furnace right now.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Slugworth posted:

Anyone have any tips on finding a trim kit for a moen standard valve? Google has been useless, because no matter what terms I use, I just get a ton of moentrol and positemp results. I know I can get the adapter plate to use moentrol trim, but surely there's a few decent standard trim kits out there?
If you're lucky enough to have rear access, Moen faucets include a sticker with the model number that you're supposed to put on the pipe when you install it. Front access only, pop off the cover behind the handle and see if you can see anything, you're supposed to use a big plastic spacer that screws on and off behind the cover so that you can access it from the front.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Naffer posted:

I was thinking about something this morning.
How many of you replace galvanized nipples with brass nipples in houses with copper pipe?

I recently replaced the nipples on my supply in a bathroom. The old ones were galvanized and in rough shape. I replaced them with galvanized nipples, but on reflection I wonder whether I just made the same mistake that the last plumbers made. Should I have sprung for brass nipples so I'm not kicking the can down the road to save $5? Is it worth pulling them back apart now or are galvanized nipples still the standard in homes with copper supply pipe.
If the galvanized nipples aren't dielectric, they're going to corrode and end up in bad shape. You should have gotten either brass or dielectric nipples. Galvanized touching copper is going to eventually rust out.

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

yeah if you live in a wine producing country an $8 bottle of wine is vastly better than cooking wine and will improve your food (probably even if you don't live in a wine country).

edit: not sure how I screwed up that post so badly. I meant to say that the local store has $9.99 and under wine and it's all really good.

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 30, 2018

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

metallicaeg posted:

I have an issue with my hot water pipes banging around. Only happens in the shower, and only when the faucet is on like a 70/30 hot/cold split - 100% hot it doesn't, 50/50 it doesn't, but right around that 70/30 area it keeps banging around like the pipes are going to break themselves apart. Can't duplicate it with either the bathroom or kitchen sinks.

Google keeps directing my search results to single bangs at turning on/off hot water, which I haven't noticed. This a constant boom-boom-boom with an awful sound and the water visibly not flowing smoothly when it happens.

Where should I start to fix this?
If this is still happening, there are two things you can try. With or without replacing the valve on the shower, turn off the water supply to your house, open every faucet until it drains, then turn the supply back on and slowly close every faucet, starting from the bottom and working your way to the top.

mcgreenvegtables posted:

I'm a bit confused about needing to drain the system. If water comes out, air has to be entering somewhere else
Any hot water heating system will have a check valve and pressure regulator connected to the domestic cold water supply so that any boil-off or loss of pressure doesn't result in low pressure in the system.

Queen Combat posted:

If you see one cockroach behind your overflow drain, that means there are thousands of them behind everything. You need to find and eliminate their food source (could even be a neighbor or a city sewer, in which case find out what's attracting them to you), and buy borax by the 50-pound bag from Amazon and put little piles of it in every corner of your house. Every. Corner.
Including the ones between the walls and the ceiling.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

BubbaGrace posted:

If your T&P is popping like that you have a problem. The only reason that thing would trip like that is thermal expansion. At this point I would call a plumber. Without being there I can't give you any more answers and sleep at night.
A bad pressure regulator on the inlet can also do that. I learned that the hard way. Also, this is overly cautious, but keep a bucket down there and manually test the pressure relief valve every month or two because if it freezes up, you may discover interesting and/or destructive ways that your plumbing system can relieve that pressure.

Bigass Moth posted:

Imgur album:
https://imgur.com/a/vXZ4uwO

I am replacing the disposal with a much smaller unit. The new disposal comes with a plug, but can be hardwired. Is it a better idea to hardwire it or should I install a GFCI under the sink next to the disposal control switch?

You can see the great craftsmanship of whoever did this piping, as it is crooked and flows uphill slightly from the P to the wall. The zip ties are a nice touch - I guess it doesn't hurt, but I doubt this is how it's supposed to be done correctly.

The only problem I've had is when filling the second basin (with no disposal) and then draining the water it will overflow at the connector above the P.

The little black box hanging off of the junction in the back controls the lights below the counters. I'm guessing this probably isn't right either? The kitchen was redone by the previous owners in the late 2000s.

Like I said, ideally I'd like to get the pipes behind the disposal if possible, but if not it's not a big deal since there's still plenty of usable room.
This reminds me of some of the stupid poo poo I've seen at work and without getting into too much detail, several people in charge of design and construction of the building are doing time for fraud and the lawyers for the architect and general contractors are working out who has to pay what of the 8 digit cost of the code remediation project.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you identify who installed that, you have every right to put their entire body through the disposal and the only reason you shouldn't because it will clog the drain.

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 17, 2018

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

some_admin posted:

pony heater and circulator pump question time

9 years old, and i have a pinhole leak in copper before pump

Better to go ahead and replace pump & pony tank or just try to solder pinhole?

(I'm going for pinhole repair, going to be hard to find pump on short notice it seems.)

real question, am I going to be out of luck trying to sweat a new pump on here? I only have straight propane, i have MAP/Pro but I am out of oxygen.
Fixing pinholes like that can be a pain, but I don't see any reason you would need a new pump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Motronic posted:

I was under the impression those wouldn't work on domestic water pressure, but I guess they do.
[laughs in 1956 spec regulator]

PainterofCrap posted:

That floor drain, most likely, is not connected to anything either - probably terminates out in the yard somewhere, in a buried French drain.
Also, at some point in its life, the cast iron pipe came into contact with one atom of metal that was not from the same batch of cast iron as those pipes, and your drain is now a tube full of rust.

stupid puma posted:

This is what I’m starting to think more and more. I have no idea why they wouldn’t have just tied the floor drain to the main line but it was the 50s, so who knows.
That would increase the volumetric load on the septic system. If you've since upgraded to sewers, God Help You if you've allowed a drop of water that didn't flow through the meter to pass through city sewers.

Guy Axlerod posted:

Delta said that my current faucet is discontinued, and they could replace it with a different model that looks to be cheaper and only vaguely similar.
Politely but insistently ask that they give you something of equivalent price to the original.

borkencode posted:

I’m trying to replace a faucet, but removing the current one has me stumped.
Congratulations on your excuse to buy a Harbor Freight angle grinder. Please wear eye and ear protection.