Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
Rd Rash, you forgot the other cardinal rule of plumbing: Cold water goes on the right.

:haw:

I can answer questions about weird/obscure commercial plumbing issues due to handling maintenance at a decent-sized building full of dental offices for several years. I can tell you that as gross as you think a poo poo stack is, you don't know gross until you've hosed around with dental vacuum lines. :clint:

For even more jollies, the building is in a relative low spot to the rest of the street, so when there's a problem with the sewer it backs up INTO THE BUILDING. At least, it used to. The mega heavy duty backflow prevention device we installed took care of that. Still, one incident of being ankle deep in regurgitated sewer contents is one too many. :barf:

Any plumbing horror stories of your own, Rd Rash? :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

Lovecrusher posted:

Perfect, I'm sooo happy I found this thread.

I'm installing a dishwasher in my kitchen and the easiest place to put the dishwasher is against a wall shared by the bathroom. The hot water, electrical and drain, would fit into the electrical, hot water and drain in the bathroom. I've got a good handle on how the hot water and electrical would work, but I'm having a heck of a time finding a dishwasher tailpeice that fits the 1-1/4 inch bathroom drain. The standard is for the 1-1/2 inch kitchen drain.

So, my question is, should I take the fact that this tailpeice is so hard to find as an indicator that I'm heading towards a world of hurt and clogged drains? Is plumbing the drain into the bathroom ill advisable? The sewage mainline is close so I could alternately plumb into there, but I'm not too excited to have the possibility of a clog blowing poo poo back up to the dishwasher and all over my dishes.

Advice?

If there is a bad enough clog to back poo poo up, it's going to come into your dishwasher, up the drain in your shower...you get the idea. This is relatively rare unless you have a septic tank with MAJOR PROBLEMS or the municipal sewer is backing up.

I'm not sure about plumbing into the bathroom sink drain. It sounds ok in theory, but it might not integrate well with the existing drain layout of your bathroom.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
So, I'm having some hard water weirdness, and this seemed like as good a place as any to ask about it. I already know we have pretty hard water from the deposits we get in our toilets, sinks, faucets, shower head, everywhere. Softening is unfortunately not an option as we rent. Water out of the tap tastes absolutely disgusting, so we filter it.

In one particular place, however, it has become completely intolerable. The dishwasher. I'm not really sure how this works, but dishes, especially on the top shelf, end up with this weird calcified crap on them after the rinse cycle that is incredibly hard and tough to get off (requires steel wool or a steel scrubby). Mixed in with what I assume is minerals are what I assume to be very tiny particles of food, but I can't figure out where those are coming from because the dishes are otherwise clean: the dishwasher is basically doing its job and the dishes get clean, but then they have this stuff on them. Is there something somewhere inside the dishwasher I need to clean? Is there a product I can add to the cycle to help? Would there even be something I could put in there that would attract the mineral deposits away from the dishes, because that would be the most ideal solution, I think.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

That I am unsure of, but are you on city or well water?

If its city call the water district and find out what the hardness of the water is and what else there is. I imagine the filter at your tap is just a carbon filter which will mainly takes out chlorine. So I will assume you are on city water with a high chlorine concentration. If you are on a well then the flockulent system is running way to high.

City water. I don't know why it's hard; my parents live about ten minutes away and their water is fine.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

And PowderedToast. Unless your parents have a softener or are on a different water district. I don't know what to tell you.

Same water provider, and they're ten minutes down the road. I don't know what the gently caress.

My father suggests doing a rinse cycle with some white vinegar to help clean things out, so I'm going to try that.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
I ended up using a citric acid cleaner product for my dishwasher and it got rid of most of the scale issue. The interior of the dishwasher was much cleaner looking, as well. I don't remember the name of the product but it came in a bottle with a wax plug which you put upside-down in the silverware tray...run a cycle, and the heat melts the wax and releases the cleaner. Works great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
Quick toilet question:

I have an older toilet that has started 'trickling' after nearly every flush. If I take the lid off the tank and look there's a steady trickle of water, just enough to make an annoying noise. If I touch the float (doesn't matter if I lift it or just nudge it), it stops immediately. Is there some adjustment I need to make?