Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982
I'm pretty plumbing dumb.

Is PVC the new standard vs. copper pipes these days? I see alot of homes going in with mostly PVC in the walls. Do they hold up better then the metal counterparts? I figure the PVC adds a bit a flexibility which would also prevent pipe rattle..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

Personally i like ABS alot more then Pvc. Since Pvc gets brittle in my experience.

How can you tell the difference between ABS and PVC? The stuff that seems to be going in my walls is black..

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

I installed a water line for my refrigerator yesterday and had a quick question.

At the point the CPVC line reaches the recessed water valve in the wall, It uses copper threaded tube. I bought one of those converters that looks like a garden hose that screws on and pinches the PVC insert with a rubber washer.

Anyway, when I turned on the water, the only point of leaking in my entire rig was at the copper end (very very slow leak).. I shut the water and re-connected both "screw" portions, this time using more pipe tape and tightening hard with wrenches..

This time, no leaking.. What are the chances this will leak in the future? Do screw connections with enough pipe tape stay sealed well, or is this something I'll have to continually eyeball?

Glad I decided to install one extra On/Off valve at the point of contact before the pipe went into the wall heading to the kitchen!