Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I have a relatively simple problem, but I wanted to check what my options are. As of a few days ago, I started hearing a dripping noise coming from the back of my toilet. Checked it out to see a small puddle back there. Initial thought was the supply line (or worse, the cutoff valve) was leaking. But after closer inspection, it seems like it was coming from the seal around the threaded pipe coming out of the tank. See picture:

Leaking stops when the tank is about 1/4 full. So, there is a pressure threshold. And when I moved to tighten/untighten the supply line connector, jostling that pipe, water bubbles started spurting from the edges of the circled areas in the picture.

Would it be fine to just empty out the tank and caulk around the interior and exterior of that seal? Would it be better to just replace the whole toilet? (I plan on doing that at some point anyway because all three toilets in this place are non-standard, low sitting decorative one-piece bowls that aren't the most comfortable things to sit on and use a shitton of water. Why are colored toilets so goddamn expensive? :psyduck: )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
So. It looks like that toilet I was complaining about up thread is starting to leak sewer gases into the bathroom. I'm just going to replace the whole thing at this point. Here's my question: If I can't get around to actually changing it for a week or two, what's the best move for temporarily plugging the soil pipe? Because I can't let it keep leaking into my bathroom.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Motronic posted:

I checked the post history and the soil pipe isn't what's leaking?

But in any case, who knows. If a full (of water) toilet is leaking sewer gases it's probably a very bad wax seal. All you can do is pull the toilet and physically block the pipe. Plastic bags and painters tape is the common method. It's not like it's under pressure.

Yeah. I had already swapped out the fill valve. This is a separate issue.

But that’s all I needed to know. If I can just tape it over with a plastic bag while I wait for my replacement, all the better.