Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

PulsarD posted:

If your toilet makes a buzzing sound and stings when you use it, check the tank for the following:

Amazing where bees will pop up. RdRash found this on Wednesday hunting down a leak in the pipes.

Stuff of nightmares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

I have an 1950s house with some ancient toilets I decided to take off and replace, but after I finally got the first toilet removed ran into this mess. The flange bolts are 6.5 inches apart and it looks like they used some kind of putty both under the toilet and to extend the flange "seal" down to the pipe (which is inset into the floor an inch or two). Everything crumbled and broke apart with the lightest touch--both the white "sealant" in the middle and whatever they were using around the flange presumably to level the toilet. I'm probably going to call a plumber out now that this isn't a simple swap out, but has anyone seen anything like this mess before?

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

Motronic posted:

Oh yeah, that old school J bolts in the wet tile bed. That's the kind of thing that only lasts for like 80 years or so :)

Probably would have continued trucking on if I didn't rip out the toilet it was attached to, which I'm fairly sure was 50+ years old and was awful (weak flush but absolute water hog). Had a massive tank that took forever to fill until I originally replaced the innards. We found a 2-liter soda bottle that the previous owner had placed in the tank to reduce the volume of the tank so it would fill faster. Only found that one out because they never took the ginger ale label off and it eventually deteriorated, fell off, and got stuck in the flapper. Real wtf moment "Why is there a soda bottle in my toilet?"

PainterofCrap posted:

Wotta lotta lead

Is that what that reddish corrosion is? It flaked off like nothing so I assumed it was some sort of dried up organic (wax + god only knows) material.

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

Insurrectum posted:

I have an 1950s house with some ancient toilets I decided to take off and replace, but after I finally got the first toilet removed ran into this mess. The flange bolts are 6.5 inches apart and it looks like they used some kind of putty both under the toilet and to extend the flange "seal" down to the pipe (which is inset into the floor an inch or two). Everything crumbled and broke apart with the lightest touch--both the white "sealant" in the middle and whatever they were using around the flange presumably to level the toilet. I'm probably going to call a plumber out now that this isn't a simple swap out, but has anyone seen anything like this mess before?

Update: Quoted $650 to install a new cast iron flange with an oakum and lead joint--real traditional plumbing work! Not happy with the cost (as compared to a new construction flange), but interested to see the process. I'm also in a HCOL area so $500 is table stakes for any non-trivial work, so I'm happy to pay it. This is a main floor toilet so this should hold up better to lots of use compared to one of those slide-in PVC expansion flanges.