Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mark Kidd
Feb 15, 2006
Like most people where I live, I have to buy bottled water for drinking and cooking.

I may be trading for a refrigerator which is set up to dispense water as well as make and dispense ice. Is there any practical way to set a refrigerator to draw from a 5 gallon jug of water (or something else comparable)? Would gravity be enough pressure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mark Kidd
Feb 15, 2006

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

You gain .434 PSI (lets round it up to 0.5 psi ) when a pipe travels down per each foot. If you had the 5 gallon bucket just up in the air 10 feet above the fridge you'd gain about 5 PSI. Now that's very low trickle.

Unless you had the bucket lets say 30 feet you'd get bare minimum pressure that is required.

The best way would be to get a pump to pump the water.

Fair enough. I'll try to read up on my options. Not knowing much about pumps, is there a particular type of pump used in this kind of situation which is the name I'll start searching with? Maybe cistern pumps?

Mark Kidd
Feb 15, 2006
Our community's water supply has been tainted by a chemical spill. Unfortunately it's going to take more than a water filter.

Mark Kidd
Feb 15, 2006

kid sinister posted:

Just for the record, what was the chemical, and has anyone developed super powers yet?

"Aromatic carbon compounds such as benzene, toluene, and xylene"

Essentially byproducts and waste from diesel and other petroleum products. No super powers to report yet.