Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

hi plumbing thread, welcome to under my sweet-rear end double sink

the left sink is draining a little slow (not problematically but it can't keep up with the tap at full blast and it used to). my only experience hauling filth out of drains is bathroom sink traps, which nothing in this photograph looks like, especially since the only connections i could separate without a hacksaw is where it attaches to the sink drains.

my questions are:
1) does this basically mean i'm just going to have to shank it repeatedly with a coat hanger and, failing that, call a plumber?
2) is this remotely normal plumbing for a double sink

it's hard to see from my crooked rear end picture but the drain from the right sink actually DOES slope down slightly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

kid sinister posted:

Where's the trap?

fine question, isn't it

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

minivanmegafun posted:

If I was to guess it's a drum trap below the cabinet somewhere.

i'll go check out the crawlspace later but i've spent a decent amount of time down there and i don't recall seeing anything trap-like. it was done by the PO (as opposed to a plumber, he was a retired industrial electrician) so it's quite possible there just ain't one.

also that wouldn't entirely explain why the RIGHT sink is draining fine (and they go into the same drain, as you can see there)

draining them both at once is just a recipe but bad times but i knew that the second i looked under the sink

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

devicenull posted:

Guessing no vent? That would explain why the right sink works (because the left one is acting as a vent).

If you block the left sink entirely, does the right sink still work fine?

that is a good question and i will go do science on it

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

devicenull posted:

Guessing no vent? That would explain why the right sink works (because the left one is acting as a vent).

If you block the left sink entirely, does the right sink still work fine?

i lined the drain with a plastic bag and then put the drain plug in and held it there, the right sink did drain slower although it still drained.

edit: i don't know if that was super extra or not but that drain plug doesn't fit very well

SoundMonkey fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Aug 7, 2017

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

HycoCam posted:

To keep nasty odors and the like out of your drain you need some kind of trap. If there aren't foul smells coming from your drain--there has to be a trap somewhere. But it is always nice to have one under the sink. As this article states--this repair is good for an older home, but doesn't meet standard codes. Standard codes would require a vent as well.The pictures won't link directly. :(

How your sink should look

Adding a vent and a trap

But even if you had a trap--it still wouldn't help you with clearing the connector tube between the two drains. Lowes/Home Depot/Amazon have a bunch of drain snakes in various sizes. One of the smaller snakes will clean that connector tube with minor fuss if you don't want to remove and clean.

yeah if i was going to do something i'd want to actually do it good and add some venting. i guess the only question now is "will this get bad enough to care about before the rest of the kitchen reno", and i guess we'll find out. thanks for the link, even with adding the vent it doesn't look like a godawful task.

gonna go on a mystical journey in the crawlspace tomorrow, i realized i had the house layout flipped in my head and i was looking in the wrong god drat place (most of the plumbing is up between the floor joists so you can't just shine a flashlight around under the house and see what's up.)

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

kid sinister posted:

It's been a week. I think he's dead. Lowtax, we need a new mod plz tia.

turns out it's all super tedious and i'm just going to blast it with drain cleaner and then install a trap where i can reach it

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

telcoM posted:

My first idea would have been to grab an angle grinder with a cutting disc and make some sparks.

But that's me being originally a farm boy... we sometimes needed to unfuck farm equipment in a hurry, and so we had plenty of tools an average homeowner would not have.

Still, renting an angle grinder for a single afternoon might not cost all that much...

(If you decide to do that and have never used an angle grinder before:
- Protect your eyes, getting hot crumbs of metal in them is not fun.
- Protect your hearing, an angle grinder can be very loud.
- Pay attention to where the shower of sparks will go: don't point it at anything ignitable, and adjust the guard so you won't get it on yourself either. Some metals may throw mostly small sparks that will just tickle, but even then there might be a few larger crumbs of red-hot metal among them. You don't want one in your shoe!
- If the disc shatters, the pieces will fly away with considerable force: that's the main reason why the guard is there, and that's also why you really don't want to bend the disc while cutting.
End safety spiel.)

and also WAIT UNTIL IT HAS GOD drat STOPPED before putting it down, and don't put it disc side down

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

i think my favorite thing about toilet repair is like the entire parts cost of every single thing in the tank, combined, is less than fifty bucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

DrBouvenstein posted:

The plumber came and, from what they could tell, the clog was mainly from an old scrap of fabric that was flushed at some point. I'm genuinely wondering if the initial start was years ago before I got the place, and then just years of the clog slowly getting more bits of congealed grease, wipes, and other things eventually got it large enough to cause a backup.

My ex was helping me do some cleaning before a big dinner I was having and forgot there was a copper scrubber in the mop bucket she dumped into the toilet. Nothing like paying cash to have a dude come on Christmas Eve and fix the shitter. She felt terrible about it. More recent ex had made it to her mid 30s without anyone telling her that you shouldn't pour animal fat down the sink drain. Referred to not doing this as "my new way". Thank god nothing ever made it further than the trap, or at least not enough to cause a problem.

Anyways, actual post. I have a bit of a draining issue in my bathroom. Been going on for years now. I highly suspect it's venting related. Infrequently (maybe a couple times a month) I can hear the toilet gurgling pretty intensely when I'm in the shower (or have run the tub faucet for a while.) Mostly this seems harmless, although it leaves the toilet nearly empty of water. The sink drain has done this too (both the gurgling and the causing the gurgling), although less often. The sink also drains very slowly, which might not be related but I can't locate any obstruction or anything. Having flushed the toilet right before getting in the shower (well, like a couple minutes before, it would be done flushing and refilling) MIGHT increase the chances of it happening but I'm no scientist.

The house is old as hell (for here anyways, 1914-ish) but everything was upgraded at some point and based on the plumbing revealed during the kitchen reno (shares a wall with the bathroom), the dude said it all looked pretty modern and functional. I've had a plumber come out for this but since I can't replicate it they basically just inspected everything and ran some faucets and said it seemed fine. It's the only bathroom in the house and none of this has ever seemed to have any effect on the kitchen plumbing which is right next to it.

Ideas?