Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Long Wang
Aug 28, 2006

VBA/Excel question

At work I have to deal with a file which is generated by a till which to the untrained eye is just a jumble of meaningless numbers, but actually contains product numbers, transaction numbers, cashier id, credit card numbers, etc. I need to check that this file is correct.

I've come up with the idea of using a VBA script which parses this data, puts things in different colors so they become more human readable. This works pretty well.

But the problem I have is, the file is essentially a text file. To open it and run a parsing script and I need to open it in Excel, convert it into an XLS spreadsheet, then import VBA code before it does it's magic.

Essentially my VBA script is almost a way of allowing Excel to open and display a new file format. It would be great if I just could click File | Open and it would automatically parse the file.

Is there any way to do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU