Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheSpook
Aug 21, 2007
Spooky!
(I guess this is the new Megathread?)

I have multiple Excel files, each with a column of countries and some columns of data pertaining to those countries.

File 1:
code:
Country1   1.6
Country2   2.3
File 2:
code:
Country1   ABC   4.65
Country2   XYZ   3.21
I would like to merge them all into one Excel file, joining on country name. Is there an easy way to do this? I'm not really familiar with VBA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSpook
Aug 21, 2007
Spooky!

rekk posted:

is it too complicated for copy & paste?

The problem is this:

Some of the files have the countries listed in different orders, some are missing countries entirely.

I don't care about efficiency (it's only 45 files, so too much for a human but not much for a computer) -- my plan is this:

code:
Start some Master.xls
For each file f do
    Find the country column c
    For each row r in c
        If the country in r is in my Master's country list
             append the data to that row in the Master
        Else
             add the country to the Master
             append the data to that new row in Master
The problem is, I have no idea how to VBA :(. Working on it, but any suggestions are great.

Again, runtime = schmuntime for this.

Edit: I have it working for one file! Will post the code when finished. This seems like it'd be a very common problem.

TheSpook fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 2, 2009

TheSpook
Aug 21, 2007
Spooky!
Thanks! We can certainly discuss.

Each of the files turned out to be significantly different, so I'm not using the outer "for each file f" loop. I'm opening each by hand and tweaking my code a little for each file.

The code itself copies all rows of N columns from the source to the destination, matching on some Key Column (in this case, the country name).

If no match is found, a new row (Country, {columns}) is appended to the destination file.

Edit: Here's a version: http://gannon-house.com/matching_module.txt. This is a mess of my own work with snippets from the Internet.

TheSpook fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 2, 2009