Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bhaltair
Jan 7, 2008
I'm creating a template using Excel for data input into a database. The database doesn't allow blank cells in the upload, it requires an "NA" in the cell to represent null. I have included some calculation checks in the Excel template to ensure that users are transcribing the right data. To make it the most efficient and productive template I want to make all cells in the template default to "NA" (so analysts don't have to manually fill these in every time) but when I do that our calculation checks on the side don't work since they view it as a text string.

So here's my question: Is there anyway I can assign the numerical value 0 to the text string "NA"? Or is there anyway I can designate the formulas on the side, that do the calculation checks, to disregard any cell that has the text string "NA"?

I think either of those will enable me to do what I want. If you have any other ideas I'm open to them as well -- thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU