Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Heres a quick question for yall, is it possible to make a chart that uses descriptive labels on the Y axis? I made a quick spreadsheet using Excel that the people I work with can send to eac other so that we can see, at a glance, which machines were operational and which were not in a given day. Using the conditional reporting function I made a 1 show up as green and a 2 as red, with the same color background so that you get a solid block of color. I was trying to mimic a white board that people might keep in an office, but this way we can email it and keep a running tally of what was operational from week to week. The top picture shows basically what I made, just a nice, simple snapshot of what machines (A through E) worked on days 1 through 7. Sorry about the hideous paint, but my work computer isnt exactly a powerhouse here.

I got a request to graph all this data out though, and I cant get the Y Axis to show anything but a value. I have never really made a graph of ideas like this, theres no real concrete numbers to work with. Since I was using 1s and 2s to mark a machine as operational or not I figured I would just graph that, relabeling 1 to Operational and 2 to Not Operational and plotting it against time, but this is turning out to be a real PITA. Is this even possible using Excel 2003 (which is as updated as I can get at the moment), I dont see any options to graph data that is symbolic rather than actual concrete numbers. The lower picture is an idea of what I suppose my boss wants, even though I think its redundant.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Thanks for the help, honestly both of those charts look pretty meaningless to me and the color coded table I put together in my opinion puts the information out there in a much clearer to read way but I think my boss has it in his head that he will somehow be able to chart a years worth of data and get some sort of secret formula as to when a machine will go down. Ill whip it together but since itll be such a pita to make those types of charts at will, it might be sort of useless.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Im in the middle of migrating a bunch of data from one quality management system to another. The problem is that WinSPC exports everything horizontally while IQMS is requesting the input to be completely vertical.

Is there any automatic way to turn this:

Into this:

The second column in the vertical picture is trivial since its the same tags repeating, I can just copypaste it. The first column with the actual data is what I need. The transpose command doesn't seem to be working properly, every time I use it it just spits out a single value that isnt related the row of data I drew from.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I couldn't get that to work. Ive got a basic Macro set up using the transpose command, but I have no idea how to get it to target the rows I want

ActiveCell.Range("A1:A8").Select
Selection.FormulaArray = "=TRANSPOSE(RC[-16]:RC[-9])"
ActiveCell.Offset(8, 0).Range("A1").Select
ActiveCell.Range("A1:A8").Select
Selection.FormulaArray = "=TRANSPOSE(R[-7]C[-16]:R[-7]C[-9])"
ActiveCell.Offset(8, 0).Range("A1:A8").Select
Selection.FormulaArray = "=TRANSPOSE(R[-14]C[-16]:R[-14]C[-9])"
ActiveCell.Offset(8, 0).Range("A1").Select

Since Ive bringing over 8 columns of data, after transposing I am left with a single column 8 rows tall. So it makes sense that every future line would need to call -7 rows up from where the active cell is. I dont know how to make this repeat indefinately, though, without just typing in all the TRANSPOSE calls manually, which sort of ruins the point of the macro.