Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I have a workbook with several sheets of data.

The first sheet has a list of company names in alphabetical order like this:

The remaining sheets have the actual data sets for each company and look like this:

What I'd like to do is hyperlink the names on the first sheet to the coresponding data sets on the following sheets. I know I can use the "Create Hyperlink" menu when I right click a cell but with several hundred names it'll take a while. I also played around with the "HYPERLINK" formula but I couldn't seem to get it to copy the data horizonally when I tried to autofill the cells on the first sheet vertically. Also the HYPERLINK formula only change the second part of the formula "friendly name" when I draged it. It did not change the first part of the formula "link location". I would need it to change both fields when I dragged it so it not only updated the link location but also the "friendly name" of the link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Sub Par posted:

You can accomplish this fairly easily with a macro. Try this:
Thanks. I followed your instructions but I seem to have done something wrong as when I got to run it I get an "Invalid procedure call or argument" error.

I don't know if it matters, but on the first sheet when I want to place all the hyperlinks, each column has a different number of names in it. So in the second loop I gave the row range of the column that has the largest amount of names in it.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

OK, so I replaced the code but now I get the following error:

Is there a way to find out what exactly the error is?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Sub Par posted:

You can find out more by adding "on error goto errReport" on the line after "sub addhyperlinks()" and then right before "end sub" add this:
code:
exit sub
errReport:
msgbox err.description
But this is probably happening because your sheets are protected or possibly hidden. What version of Excel are you using?
Excel 2007.

Yes, the sheet is password protected. I'll remove it and try again.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

OK! The revised code worked great. :)

Now, I know that I can create a seperate macro for each sheet that I have data on, but how would modify the so that I could have a single macro to scan each sheet in the work book?

Also, I played around with the code a bit and I noticed that if I give a row range with more rows than is in the "COMPANY LIST" sheet (where I want the links to be displayed) they I'll get that same "400" error.

This list is going to be updated on an ongoing basis so as new names are added to the COMPANY LIST sheet and the correspoding data is put on the related sheet the macro will need to be run to update all the links.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I have an Excel workbook that contains data on multiple financial transactions (basically put and call options). Each row is a seperate transaction and each transaction spans about 12 columns.

I have created several workbooks for other employees that use the exact same data that I have but then there are additional calculations and formula applied to the data.

The problem is that as financial transactions are removed or new ones are added I have to go into all the other workbooks and manually update them.

I would like to be able to just update my workbook and then have the other automatically do the same (i.e. adding or removing rows as necessary). Is this possible?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

G-Dub posted:

This sounds like a job for a database. Is Access an option?
Not really. The people who will be using it only have Excel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

jusion posted:

Is Google Docs an option?
No, unfortunately not.