Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SvK
Feb 20, 2010

ZerodotJander posted:

You probably want to use VLOOKUP.

The syntax is =VLOOKUP(lookup_value, target_range, target_column, FALSE)

Your lookup table has to be arranged so that your index (Zip) is in the leftmost column. So for example, if you have a table like this

code:
Zip       City       State
12345      A          Z
12346      B          Y
12347      C          X
12348      D          W
12349      E          V
Located in cells A4:C9, you could do

=VLOOKUP(G2, $A$4:$C$9, 2, FALSE)

to look up the value in cell G2 in range A4:C9 (dollar signs added so you can fill down without changing the range), find the first occurence of that value (FALSE tells it to look for an exact match) and return the value in the 2nd column (City).

Be careful on how many cells use VLOOKUP if you have several of them based off one another on a few hundred thousand rows of data it can really slow down processing time. If you notice a slowdown and you do not need the data to be 'refreshed' from the 'database' than copy & paste special values over the VLOOKUP ranges to save time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SvK
Feb 20, 2010

Scaramouche posted:

Thanks, I can see how that would work. I'd been stuck in the 2003 world so long the only thing I could think of would have been tonnes of countifs and named ranges and so on, and just didn't want to go down that road.

How automated do you want the double check to be? Shouldn't be to hard to write a VBA function that can do this.

SvK
Feb 20, 2010

Scaramouche posted:

This person is pretty... not smart with Excel (though great at online marketing) so I didn't want to complexify things with allow scripts to run/popups etc. I like the elegance of the pivot as well, it worked out fine.

Good thing you replied quickly I was like 3/4's the way done with a macro to do it. With dynamic arrays and countif's =).