Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I'm having a problem that I've spent ages trying to solve and I don't know if it's even possible.

I have a list of genes and their expression from an array experiment, but several of the genes are represented more than once. Is it possible to average the values of the non-unique entries?

Here is what I have now:

And here is what I want:

So for genes with a unique entry, like A2M, I just want the actual numbers, but for A1BG I need the average of two rows and for NAT1 I need the average of three rows.

If it were only 20 rows, I'd do it manually, but there are >36,000 probes on the array and only about half of them are unique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Holy poo poo, how have I been using excel for this long and not known about that? Thank you so much!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

In word, Ctrl+F, click on replace. In the find box enter "^t" (without the quotation marks), and leave the replace box blank.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I just tried this myself, and I think I've got it. If the following is the output you require:

The formula you want is this:
=IF(CR5<100,"FAIL",IF(CW5<100,"PASS",IF(DB5<100,"MERIT","DISTINCTION")))

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Is there any reason why it has to be the top Google result? If you were to make it the wikipedia page, that would probably be easier. Also, in most cases, it probably is the top result anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Carbon Deity posted:

OK, Gentlemen, let's see if somebody can help me tackle this.

Our business basically lives off of a logistics spreadsheet and parts of it are distributed to appropriate carriers, vendors, and reps. This spread sheet is constantly in motion with things being added and removed on a daily basis. Here's what I would like to do:

In addition to this workbook's master sheet, I would like to create additional sheets that use the master as a reference to display data. For example: I want "Sheet2" to reference a specific column in "Sheet1" and display all of the data in that row and update automatically as "Sheet1" changes.

Let me know if you need any additional info, and in the meantime I'm going to continue to bang my head against a wall trying to figure this out.

Thanks in advance, sirs.

That doesn't sound too difficult. Unless I'm missing something, you can just use an IF function.

If you enter the following into your sheet two cell, assuming that your data is in column A of sheet 1, it should work:
=IF(Sheet1!A1>0,Sheet1!A1," ")

So, if sheet 1, column A has an entry, it will be displayed in sheet 2. If not, it will just be blank.