Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebel
Sep 30, 2002

Soiled Meat
For my job I'm taking a bunch of words written in a phonetic alphabet, and converting them to another phonetic alphabet. Essentially this is the same as transliteration.

First, I looked for some sort of transliteration module or such, but they're all preset for Latin<->Cyrillic and aren't customizable in the least.

Second, I found some selection.replace macros for Excel, which do what I need except for one thing, I'm dealing with unicode phonetic symbols.

For example:
code:
    Selection.Replace What:=ChrW(&H19B), Replacement:=ChrW(&H29F), LookAt:=xlPart, _
        SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=True
This works well, until I need to use a sequence of characters as input and/or output. The problem is I have no idea how to get Excel to accept a sequence of two ChrW(&Hxxx).

What I need this code to do, it take something like "tɬ" as input, and output "ʟ̣"

I could normally just use the Find/Replace window but I need to do this with 100 separate worksheets.

Alternatively if there was some sort of easier way to accomplish this, that would be great too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebel
Sep 30, 2002

Soiled Meat

gwar3k1 posted:

Does simple concatenation work: "ChrW(&Hxxx) & ChrW(&Hxxx)"

code:
    sFind = ChrW(&H19B) & ChrW(&H20B)
    sReplace = ChrW(&H29F) & "t"
    Selection.Replace What:=sFind, Replacement:=sReplace, LookAt:=xlPart, _
If it does, setup a sheet with two columns: Lang A, Lang B and enter your translations as needed, then use the following macro (or a modified version) to translate your sheets:

code:
Sub TranslateIt
  For i = 1 to Sheets.Count
    If Sheets(i).Name <> "TransLookUp" Then
      Sheets(i).Select
      iRow = 1
      Do While Sheets("TransLookup").Cells(iRow, 1) <> ""
        sFind = Sheets("TransLookup").Cells(iRow, 1)
        sReplace = Sheets("TransLookup").Cells(iRow, 2)
        iRow = iRow + 1
      Loop      
    End if
  Next
End Sub

Excellent.

code:
   sFind = ChrW(&HF111)
    sReplace = ChrW(&H29F) & ChrW(&H323)
Worked fantastic.

Except I don't quite understand what your second macro does (I'm a Linguist and all I have is one year of computer science under my belt), all of my data is formatted so that column C contains the empty fields that I need to put the translation into, and column E contains the source.

Nebel
Sep 30, 2002

Soiled Meat

gwar3k1 posted:

Sorry, the macro assumes you have a sheet named "TransLookup". On that sheet you have a column (A) which contains your original characters, and a second column (B) which contains the characters that col A should be changed to. I'm assuming your task is as simple as "change xx to yy" without any conditions (i.e. not accounting for "change xx to yy but if xx preceeds xxz then change it to ccc").

The macro loops all the worksheets in your book that aren't TransLookup (which it is using as reference) then it is making the replacement for every replacement you have instructed it to do (all rows on TransLookup).

Does that make sense?

Yeah that does, thank you very much. And it greatly simplifies matters!