Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

fear not failure, fear only the limitations of our dreams

I have a spreadsheet with with rows consisting of a unique string, and to the right of each of the rows is a number (a percentage to be exact). There's around 150 rows and 10 columns.

I need to set up a formula that will search a string value that I input, find it in the data spreadsheet, then look across and compare the first value to another inputted value. If the inputted value is lower than the data value, the cell's column header at the top of the spreadsheet is returned to a cell near the input data. If the value is higher, the formula then checks the next value for the same test, and so forth, until either finding a value, or if it finds a null value (ie the end of the table), it returns a string like "INSUFFICIENT".

The logic is simple but I'm not quite sure how to use excel to do this, will I need VBA script or can I just do a formula?

LuckySevens fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 16, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

fear not failure, fear only the limitations of our dreams

nm I just cooked up a vba script