Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Well I ended up with quite the excel problem.

I have a rather large database (~4000 data points). These points include location data in the form of Latitude and Longitude. In a good clean copy this data is split between two columns. One would read Latitude: 40.5633 and the other Longitude: -124.3533.

Now the ugly database I have to clean up has this data dumped as one string into one column, such as 70227N148316W. Is there an easy way to split this data up? Or is this an old fashion grind-fest of Ecel: The Korean MMO?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Scaramouche posted:

Sorry I don't understand lat/long very well; would the first value always end in N and the second always end in W? If so that's pretty straight forward. Couldn't you just do a search and replace on 'N' and replace it with 'N,' and then save the resulting file as a CSV?

This is certainly a great idea, and I feel a bit daft for not thinking of it (yes each one will end with N or W). My question is, then, since the file contains a lot of other information this would replace all Ns with "N " yes? Can this be done by column?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Thanks a lot guys. This will certainly help in cleaning up this hellscape of an excel file.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

I am not the best Excel user ever, and I have a few questions I can't find answers for.

I have two databases of information. In both of these databases I have Latitude, Longitude, "Heat Flow" and a bunch of other columns. Now I need to compare both of these databases with each other, and find which points have different heat flow numbers. Currently I have both databases mixed into one huge one, and I figured out how to sort the Latitude and Longitude so both databases are lined up by location. This way I see that one database reports one number for heat flow, and the other one reports another one (usually the same) at the same co-ordinates of lat and long.

However there are a bunch of unique entries that do not occur in both data sets. Is there an easy way for excel to locate these and remove them? I am not sure how this works since both the latitude and longitude define one point. So if lat is x and long is y AND no other points have BOTH lat x and long y sort of thing.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

G-Dub posted:

I think this would be easier done in a database. What database is everything stored in?

I was literally given a text print-out and an excel spreadsheet to start this. Is this something that could be done in, say, access?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

I have an excel workbook with 100+ tabs that need to be split into separate workbooks. Is there a shortcut to do this or am I doomed to right click on each individual tab?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

ScarletBrother posted:

From the previous page:
code:
sweet macro
Second part courtesy of Old James.

Thanks for this macro ScarletBrother and Old James. I had to trouble shoot an error message, and I was gone last week so that delayed my thank you post (I had to install some Visual Basic tools for the macro to complete properly for the curious).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

I am trying to use Google Refine (great program btw, thanks for the suggestion guys) to call a web service for information to fill out 23,000+ rows of data. Now when I go to this webpage it provides me with a search box to fill out. I need to enter a number into one of two boxes and click search which then displays the page of information I need. The problem that I am currently having is that the URL between the search page and the display page doesn't change. Its the same https://www.blahblah/getscoutticket.asp for both. The question is can google refine still fetch data from this webservice? Is there a URL I can feed it that will do the search? How would I figure this out?