Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GerbilNut
Dec 30, 2004
I've got two questions I could really use a hand on.

First, i've got a pivot table setup with a filter for Invoice Numbers and the need to select multiple items. When just one invoice is select, the drop down box shows that invoice number. If more than one is selected it just shows (Multiple Items). Is there a way to get a copy of the multiple items select to print on the report without manually typing them in somewhere?

Secondly, I also have a Data Validation list with hundreds of choices referencing data in another sheet of a workbook. Is it possible to get it to filter down when someone clicks that cell and starts typing instead of having to scroll through the list by hand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GerbilNut
Dec 30, 2004

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Not sure I understand the first question, but the answer to the second one is 'no.' You can stick a combo box on the worksheet and it will fill in the first item on the data validation list that starts with the same letter, but you can't do it with a cell.

Didn't think so :( Oh well.

In response to the second, here are some screen shots to hopefully help explain.

When you select one item to filter by, it shows the item in the list like in this picture:

When you select multiple items to filter by, it shows (Multiple Items) We then have to manually type in the following row those items. I'd like to avoid them having to type those in and have it print out the selected filter items somewhere.

GerbilNut
Dec 30, 2004

Sub Par posted:

Quick and dirty solution in VBA. Create a module, create this sub:

Sub Par, thanks for that, it does what I need but has a small quirk. It's pulling in random Timesheets that were used previously for testing, but that is no longer listed anywhere in the work book. See the picture for the filter items available and what it's printing.

Is there a way to clear those out somehow?

GerbilNut
Dec 30, 2004

Sub Par posted:

Did you refresh the pivot after clearing the data out of the workbook?

I did fresh it but that didn't help. After some screwing around with it this morning I tracked down the problem. Under the Pivot Table Options, and the Data tab there is a drop down for "Number of Items to retain per field: Automatic" I changed that to None and it updates correctly now.

Thanks for all of the help, this sheet will now work wonders for us.