Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rekk1ess
Aug 21, 2005
I am reckless even when not drunk. Watch out!
I think this is a little problem but then again I am entirely not sure. I'll make a thread out of this if it is more complicated than I think.

Basically I have to clean up an Excel file with thousands of cells of data for a cell phone distributor. Here is my process:

1. In my Service Status Column I have to Filter and Delete invalid Statuses.
2. In the Sim Column I have to remove a Character from a string of numbers.
2. In my Service Number, IMEI Number, and SIM Number Column I have to replace blanks with a phrase, replace numbers greater or less than a certain value with a phrase, and replace all numbers that are duplicates with a phrase.

What I do is....
By Filtering the Service Status Column I can easily remove the invalid Statuses. And again by Filtering I can mark the Blanks.

I insert a separate column and I use the =LEFT(~,~) to output all characters I want from a SIM and not print the Character I would like to be excluded. Then I copy the Values over that and delete the old SIM Column.

I insert 3 separate Columns to check the length of my SIM, IEMI, and Service Numbers. Then I filter those that are good which allows me to Flag the improper ones.

I use Advance Filter to find the Unique Values of the SIM, IEMI, and Service Numbers and then Color them in a color to distinguish the Duplicates from the Unique. I filter what is not colored (the duplicates) and copy/paste them to another sheet. Then I use the Find and Replace on the copied/pasted numbers to replace all duplicates with the phrase I am suppose to.

This whole process takes me about 20-45 minutes to do depending on the size of the spreadsheet and the amount of duplicates that I have to find and replace.

My idea was to create a Macro to do the work for me. However, it is not working so well. I am going to retry it a couple of times but maybe you guys have a better idea for me. I have used the web to get me this far but I am struggling at finding a way to reduce my time in this lengthy process.

Any suggestions? I really suck at this. >_<

Edit:
I have been doing more research and figured out that as 1 Macro to complete all these tasks would crash. However, what is working is creating a Macro for each set of Steps and then having a Master Macro run the whole thing.

So far its going well. The code is basic but I am no expert. I'll keep you posted in case I have any questions.

rekk1ess fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 11, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rekk1ess
Aug 21, 2005
I am trying to edit my macro to allow me to fill in the Blank Cells, once filtered, with 05-MM-Blank. I am having issues though. I don't think that when it runs the first cell is blank. Anyway around this.

Sub Step_6A()
'
' Step_6A Macro
' Fill Service Number Blanks
'
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "05-MM-Blank"

Dim FirstRow As Long
FirstRow = [A1].End(xlDown).Row

Dim LastRow As Long
LastRow = [A65536].End(xlUp).Row

Range(Cells(FristRow, 12), Cells(LastRow, 12)).Select
Selection.FillDown

End Sub

If it helps, this is what works:
Sub Step_6A()
'
' Step_6A Macro
' Fills Service Number Blanks
'
'
Range("L5", "L85").Select
Selection.FillDown
End Sub

However, L5 and L85 might change when I copy a new sheet into this. They might be L6 to L90 for example. I need this to adjust tot hat. Everything else seems to work fine.

rekk1ess fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 13, 2009

rekk1ess
Aug 21, 2005
The following somewhat does what I want. Problem is, that it re-labels my 1st Column as 05-MM-Blank. Is there anyway to further this and Offset the FirstRow?

Sub Step_6A()
'
' Step_6A Macro
' Fills Service Number Blanks
'
'
Dim LastRow As Long
LastRow = [A65536].End(xlUp).Row
Dim FirstRow As Long
FirstRow = [L65536].End(xlUp).Row

Range(Cells(FirstRow, 12), Cells(LastRow, 12)).Select