Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schleep
Apr 4, 2006

Frank, if your fat monkey heart is still beating, then congratulations.
I'm trying to calculate the Mean Profile Depth (MPD) of a chip seal surface texture. The data is given in one column (blue) and I need to calculate the MPD in another column (pink), as shown:

The original equation is:

MPD = [(Max of 1st Half + Max of 2nd Half)/2]-Average of Total

This needs to be a running average, but obviously the size and cell location of the first half and second half of data will change as I move down the column. So far, the only thing that is correct in my Excel equation is the last part, "AVERAGE(D$3:D12)". I need the other portion of the equation to look like "=(MAX($D$3:D7)+MAX(D$8:D12))/2", but this equation would change for each row:

=(MAX($D$3:D7)+MAX(D$8:D12))/2 - AVERAGE(D$3:D12)
=(MAX($D$3:D8)+MAX(D$8:D13))/2 - AVERAGE(D$3:D13)
=(MAX($D$3:D8)+MAX(D$9:D14))/2 - AVERAGE(D$3:D14)
=(MAX($D$3:D9)+MAX(D$9:D15))/2 - AVERAGE(D$3:D15)
=(MAX($D$3:D9)+MAX(D$10:D16))/2 - AVERAGE(D$3:D16)
=(MAX($D$3:D10)+MAX(D$10:D17))/2 - AVERAGE(D$3:D17)
=...

Obviously there is a pattern here, but I don't know if there is a way to make Excel see this pattern. Is there a way to code this equation so I don't have to go in and manually change the cells that MAX calls, for each row?

And I know you guys probably understand this way better than I can, but here's a screenshot of what the equation should look like:

Schleep fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Dec 15, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schleep
Apr 4, 2006

I couldn't figure out a way to get my other question answered so I've decided to put each parameter in a separate column. All I need it to do now is recognize this pattern in one column:

ROW 5=MAX($D$3:D4)
ROW 6=MAX($D$3:D4)
ROW 7=MAX($D$3:D5)
ROW 8=MAX($D$3:D5)
ROW 9=MAX($D$3:D6)
ROW 10=MAX($D$3:D6)
ROW 11=MAX($D$3:D7)
ROW 12=MAX($D$3:D7)
=...ect

and this pattern in the other column:

ROW 5=MAX(D$5:D7)
ROW 6=MAX(D$6:D8)
ROW 7=MAX(D$6:D9)
ROW 8=MAX(D$7:D10)
ROW 9=MAX(D$7:D11)
ROW 10=MAX(D$8:D12)
ROW 11=MAX(D$8:D13)
ROW 12=MAX(D$9:D14)
=...ect

When I try to fill the column, Excel won't recognize the pattern. Is there a way to do this without having to change each equation by hand?

Edit: The "ROW #" isn't part of the equation, it's just to clarify what row each equation is on. Sorry for the confusion.

Schleep fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 4, 2010

Schleep
Apr 4, 2006

Bump? Is this impossible to do in Excel?

Schleep
Apr 4, 2006

This is perfect. The INDIRECT command is what I've been looking for and I'm so thankful for your help :)