Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006
I'm still wearing the same pair of glasses I got 8 years ago. I've had a couple of eye exams since then and my prescription hasn't changed much, and thus I haven't gotten new glasses. I need new ones soon though, as the spring hinges on my current glasses are a bit loose, temple tips are fragile and cracking I assume due to lots of flexing when putting them on after I put my motorcycle helmet on.

What's the best lens/coating to get in the neighborhood of $300-500 US including a reasonably priced frame? I previously went to LensCrafters, and got whatever their top end lens was at the time. The only thing I've found available locally by looking at eye clinic webpages is Crizal. I don't know if there is anything else to look/ask for.

My prescription at my last exam was:

OD SPH -2.75 OD CYL -2.00 OD AXIS 89
OS SPH -4.75 OS CYL -1.75 OS AXIS 81

Also, a couple of contact lens questions. I had a contact fitting done (at LensCrafters) when I got my current pair of glasses. The trial pair(s) I got back then would not stay put on my eyes. I'm not sure which lenses exactly were tried, but every time I blinked I would have somewhat blurry vision, apparently due to the lenses rotating out of place. Since I kind of need to be able blink I gave up on them and stuck with glasses. When I got my eyes checked last (bit over a year and a half ago) I went to a different eye care provider, and tried another contact fitting. This time I tried Air Optix and one other (possibly Acuvue Oasys but I don't recall 100%). Neither could give me correction anywhere near what I wanted for computer use. They were okay for almost anything else. The other issue they had was horrifyingly bad night vision. I had to drive about 20 miles on a relatively quiet highway one night and every mile of it was awful. Signs were too bright, the road was too dark. Are these things happening because of my eyes, a bad fit, the lenses themselves, or what?

If it's a fit issue, are there specific questions I can ask an eye care provider that will let me know if they're going to take the time to make sure I get the best result possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

Alder posted:

My vision would improve if I wore a eyepatch but I can't say the same about my social standing...

But your performance in battle belowdecks on pirate ships would be off the charts…

I don't think not wearing your glasses all the time will make your vision any worse. My wife does that and her prescription hasn't changed much.

• Locked thread