Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

Lannie posted:

Good luck! Have you been trying long?

We're at a year now. We have a 4 year old (conceived in 1 month of trying), so if this is overly complex or expensive, we'll leave well enough alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.
I was a dad for a day and a half. My wife continued to have the abdominal pain and it eventually specified to the left side. She was taken for emergency surgery where they found the embryo in her ovary, she now has 1 and 3/4 ovaries working as they surgeons were amazing and able to salvage as much as they could. They actually called in a second surgical team to get her started because she had already lost a fair amount of blood into her abdomen, but she never bled or spotted. She is currently patched up and will be discharged Sunday. The one thing we both learned from this is that we actually do want children. Best of luck to those and hopefully none of you have to go through what we did. I suppose will will start trying in the fall as to give her gut a rest. Her Gynecologist and surgeon both agreed that God must love us a fair bit to go through all this and lose almost nothing in the process, most women in her predicament would have lost the whole ovary. In the words of our Gyne we "will have many beautiful children, just not this one". A bittersweet end to my first run at parenthood.

Papaya
Apr 4, 2005

I'm a creepy furry who feels entitled to other people's babies, but only if they are white. Yiff!
Sorry to hear that, Space Cadet. At least she's going to be okay. :(

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

It happens, but as I mentioned we also have a 7 week old beagle that needs our attention these days so we still have a fair bit of pseudo parenting to do. We will have kids soon, just not for Christmas. Good luck to all those trying, any abnormal pain and get it checked out, it literally saved my wife her ovary!

Papaya
Apr 4, 2005

I'm a creepy furry who feels entitled to other people's babies, but only if they are white. Yiff!

Space Cadet posted:

any abnormal pain and get it checked out

This, definitely. I've been having pretty sharp pains off and on right around where my right ovary should be and since my husband is shooting blanks I know it's no ectopic, so now we're stuck between a rock and a hard place with his job loss and with that, insurance loss and still waiting to get new insurance, so I can't find out what is wrong. :( If it were a constant pain I'd be seen already however it's not so I've been putting it off.

Ugh. At least, we got some good news today from the doc that, tentatively, will be doing the next surgery on my husband. He said that all my husband's testosterone levels are normal (considering he has one nut, that's great news) and his FSH is elevated, which in out case is also good news and indicative of a functioning system. The varicocoele is loving everything up but his body is trying to compensate best it can. So in theory, once the veins are tied off he should be making sperm again and we're looking at possible pregnancy next summer, if work/insurance/surgery all goes well. We've been referred to an RE.

I guess that makes me an official lurker again, sigh. Can't win!

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

I'm sorry it turned out that way Space Cadet... :(

I'm pretty terriied of an ectopic myself. I have been having pain on my left side, but just little twinges. My doctor told me not to worry about it and that if it was an ectopic the level of pain I'd be in would be unmistakeable. But I still worry... :(

The Heartless
Nov 7, 2006
When all is said and done.
Jumping on this bandwagon.

I just have a lot of things working against me. Like PCOS (that itself is the biggest issue) along with my husbands current deployment. So, I came off birth control last September, and I started Metformin last month (Thanks Met for inducing a 2 week long period though!) and now I have a couple months before my husband comes home to try and regulate myself.

I'm hoping the Metformin will push me into a more normal cycle. Since I went off birth control it's been anywhere from 26-44 days. And HOPEFULLY ovulate. My husbands so excited to have a baby, but I don't think he realizes it might not happen as fast as he wants it to due to my problems. But we'll see.

DachsieLove
Sep 19, 2005
He basically says because he's selfish and he likes being able to do what he wants to do when he wants to do it. He loves kids and is great with kids. He says he just doesn't want any of his own yet. I do have to say we've gone from no never to well maybe in the next year or two. But as I said that has been going on for 3 years. I just get very frustrated and depressed about it. I have to say I'm glad he is not like his sister. She says she's never having kids! I just nod and say ok. As I personally just don't understand that sentiment.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

You can't really force kids on someone. I can understand people who don't want to have kids and I actually think its great that they realize they don't want to have them instead of just doing it because its just something you do. I wish more people really took having kids as a serious life changing commitment because it is.

No matter how much I love my husband, if he had told me when we were engaged that he never wanted to have kids and he doesn't think he'd ever change his mind I would have left him.

Aardvarklet
Aug 12, 2008

Longpig posted:

I'm sorry it turned out that way Space Cadet... :(

I'm pretty terriied of an ectopic myself. I have been having pain on my left side, but just little twinges. My doctor told me not to worry about it and that if it was an ectopic the level of pain I'd be in would be unmistakeable. But I still worry... :(

I've been having this fear the last few days myself. I have weird twinges now and then, almost like menstrual cramps but not "painful," I guess? I think it might be round ligament pain.

The other night I woke up at 2 AM with a horrible stomach ache, got up, and puked. So far it was just a one time deal, though. I wonder if everyone goes through a stage of fear about ectopic pregnancies.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We were in Philadelphia last weekend and went to the mutter museum of medical oddities and they had some examples of ectopic pregnancies. I don't think my husband was aware that something like that could happen (hooray for southern sex ed classes). He was a bit paranoid and asking a lot of questions about it for when I get pregnant.

On the same topic, that museum is GREAT for cementing taking your vitamins and staying away from toxins and poo poo when you're pregnant. The wall of fetus jars was educational/horrifying.

Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

Are you freaking kidding me!?

The Heartless posted:

Jumping on this bandwagon.

I'm hoping the Metformin will push me into a more normal cycle. Since I went off birth control it's been anywhere from 26-44 days. And HOPEFULLY ovulate. My husbands so excited to have a baby, but I don't think he realizes it might not happen as fast as he wants it to due to my problems. But we'll see.

Don't stress too much just yet, I was on met two weeks and never had a chance to get a period because 'whoa, pregnant'. If it helped you get a period, it might be what you need, and even if not met alone, maybe some Clomid.

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

Aardvarklet posted:

I've been having this fear the last few days myself. I have weird twinges now and then, almost like menstrual cramps but not "painful," I guess? I think it might be round ligament pain.

The other night I woke up at 2 AM with a horrible stomach ache, got up, and puked. So far it was just a one time deal, though. I wonder if everyone goes through a stage of fear about ectopic pregnancies.

Maybe... I hope so. Mine seems to be mostly on the one side which is why it bugs me. I do get them on the right but much less often. As I said before though, they aren't bad at all and I *know* my doctor said if it was an ectopic I would *know*, but... I can't help worrying!

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

I spoke with Loretta and she said that initially her pains felt like the worst menstrual cramps she has ever had in her life, she had a complaint of nausea, stomach and back pain going into her neck. She would have been more concerned if she knew she was pregnant at the time, however she simply thought it was a combination of bedroom olympics and her period due to start within a day or two that was the cause of her discomfort.

She is due to come home tomorrow morning, Max (our beagle) and I cannot wait to go pick her up. I never picked up flowers for her, instead I planted our gardens and did the yard up for her as she will be unable do so this year. No flowers at the hospital but our yard is beautiful and I can't wait for her to see what I did for her. 2 weeks off work, no trying for at least 2 months and I can honestly say I never knew I wanted to be a dad until I almost was one. We will officially start trying in September. Again, good luck and to any of you who are early in your pregnancy and having CONTINUOUS pain to your abdomen or feeling anything like my wife did, please get it checked out. I know most of you are probably American and health care is crazy expensive there but the last thing you want is a ruptured ovary/fallopian tube.

Good luck on spreading your genetics to the next generation!

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

Thanks for the advice, Space Cadet. I am lucky enough to be in the UK, so if it does get bad for me I don't have to worry about money, at least.

Sounds like you are gonna take great care of your wife! :) I hope she feels better soon. Puppy kisses may help... Beagles are friggin' adorable. :3

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Those "pains" can also be a cyst, FYI. I had annoying cramp-like pains for the first 10 weeks or so. When I had my first ultrasound they found the cyst that they've been keeping a close eye on since. I imagine that since the ovary is doing most of the work in the early stages, that this is why.

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

That's interesting, bamzilla, because I'm pretty sure this is the side that I ovulated on, as well. That would make sense...

Krysie
Feb 12, 2009

Space Cadet posted:

I spoke with Loretta and she said that initially her pains felt like the worst menstrual cramps she has ever had in her life, she had a complaint of nausea, stomach and back pain going into her neck. She would have been more concerned if she knew she was pregnant at the time, however she simply thought it was a combination of bedroom olympics and her period due to start within a day or two that was the cause of her discomfort.

She is due to come home tomorrow morning, Max (our beagle) and I cannot wait to go pick her up. I never picked up flowers for her, instead I planted our gardens and did the yard up for her as she will be unable do so this year. No flowers at the hospital but our yard is beautiful and I can't wait for her to see what I did for her. 2 weeks off work, no trying for at least 2 months and I can honestly say I never knew I wanted to be a dad until I almost was one. We will officially start trying in September. Again, good luck and to any of you who are early in your pregnancy and having CONTINUOUS pain to your abdomen or feeling anything like my wife did, please get it checked out. I know most of you are probably American and health care is crazy expensive there but the last thing you want is a ruptured ovary/fallopian tube.

Good luck on spreading your genetics to the next generation!

I am so sorry for you & your wife... but I'm glad that things turned out in the best possible manner. It sounds like your wife had a wonderful 'team' working on her, and a wonderful husband supporting her.

Reading what you did for her (the yard, etc)... brought tears to my eyes.

Tell that wife of yours to rest up and best of luck when you do decide to try ;o)

Socratic Method Man
Dec 23, 2008
LF Grandma

:toot:

Space Cadet posted:

I never picked up flowers for her, instead I planted our gardens and did the yard up for her as she will be unable do so this year. No flowers at the hospital but our yard is beautiful and I can't wait for her to see what I did for her.

Space Cadet, you the real deal. I'm all teary over here. :blush:

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I hate trying to read tests. Has anyone ever had luck with LH strip testing (ovulation tests)

I think I got a positive yesterday. I had a noticeable second line, but it wasn't quite as dark as the test line. The test instructions say a faint line isn't a positive, but it wasn't really that faint, you could clearly see it, it just wasn't as dark. Its about the right time for me to ovulate based on other signs and I think I might be having ovulation type cramps today? Its hard to say. Sometimes I have them, sometimes I don't and it could always be something else or they could be psychosomatic.

Stupid test strips...

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

snookie snookeie snnnokeid

Alterian posted:

I hate trying to read tests. Has anyone ever had luck with LH strip testing (ovulation tests)

I think I got a positive yesterday. I had a noticeable second line, but it wasn't quite as dark as the test line. The test instructions say a faint line isn't a positive, but it wasn't really that faint, you could clearly see it, it just wasn't as dark. Its about the right time for me to ovulate based on other signs and I think I might be having ovulation type cramps today? Its hard to say. Sometimes I have them, sometimes I don't and it could always be something else or they could be psychosomatic.

Stupid test strips...

It depends on a few factors and how faint it was. Did you test the day before? If so, was there any line at all? Did you test today? If so, was there any line at all? Also, which pee were you using? First morning or later on in the day?

If the line yesterday was faint but quite noticeable (maybe 3/4 the colour of the control line or more) then you're most likely going to ovulate within the next 24 - 48 hours. You should be able to confirm by having a stronger line today (test asap, the longer you wait in the day, the harder it'll be to tell. Unless you already tested today). It could also mean that you already ovulated earlier on that day. If the line is really faint or nonexistent today, then that's most likely what it means.

A line showing at all is a good sign. Should mean that the strips will work for you. Some people's test line is never quite as dark or darker than the control. For other people, the strips don't work, period.

All in all, I'd recommend getting it on today. ;)

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
Speaking of LH testing, I got mine in the mail today. Can't wait to start peeing in a cup!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Lannie posted:

It depends on a few factors and how faint it was. Did you test the day before? If so, was there any line at all? Did you test today? If so, was there any line at all? Also, which pee were you using? First morning or later on in the day?

If the line yesterday was faint but quite noticeable (maybe 3/4 the colour of the control line or more) then you're most likely going to ovulate within the next 24 - 48 hours. You should be able to confirm by having a stronger line today (test asap, the longer you wait in the day, the harder it'll be to tell. Unless you already tested today). It could also mean that you already ovulated earlier on that day. If the line is really faint or nonexistent today, then that's most likely what it means.

A line showing at all is a good sign. Should mean that the strips will work for you. Some people's test line is never quite as dark or darker than the control. For other people, the strips don't work, period.

All in all, I'd recommend getting it on today. ;)

I've been testing for a couple of days. I test two times a day. I usually test my second and 3rd pee and not my just wake up pee and my right before bed pee. The day before yesterday there was a reaaaaally faint line. My first test yesterday was a faint line and the second test yesterday was the noticeable line. My first test today is another really faint line. We've been doing it every day for a handful of days now going off cervical fluid and I've been tracking my temp for it to spike so I know we're not going to miss it. I just want to know when its going to happen.

I wish fertility and pregnancy weren't so drat subtle in the early stages.

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

Alterian posted:

I've been testing for a couple of days. I test two times a day. I usually test my second and 3rd pee and not my just wake up pee and my right before bed pee. The day before yesterday there was a reaaaaally faint line. My first test yesterday was a faint line and the second test yesterday was the noticeable line. My first test today is another really faint line. We've been doing it every day for a handful of days now going off cervical fluid and I've been tracking my temp for it to spike so I know we're not going to miss it. I just want to know when its going to happen.

I wish fertility and pregnancy weren't so drat subtle in the early stages.

Sounds good then. You're most likely ovulating today.

Just to add, I've heard really good things about upping your vitamin B intake and using Preseed. And for those (as others have said here) with messed up cycles to also take vitex and primrose oil (primrose up until the day of ovulation but to stop until either a positive test or until the new CD1).

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I take primrose oil already up until ovulation. I didn't take any today just incase. I'll probably stop just to be sure. I also stopped my herbal tea concoction that has a bunch of good stuff in it and I get vitex through my vitamins.

I hope I get pregnant soon. I'm turning into a jealous bitch. I went to a wedding the other weekend and I saw a girl I went to high school with for the first time in a couple of years and I thought she was pregnant and I was a little bit upset about it cause it wasn't fair that she was pregnant and I wasn't (I never cared for her much in high school) Then at the reception she was knocking back the alcohol and I turned to my husband and said "Good! She's just loving fat!" and he gave me a pretty hilarious shocked look.

Alterian fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 1, 2009

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

Alterian posted:

I hope I get pregnant soon. I'm turning into a jealous bitch.

Yeah, I totally know what you mean. Before I left my job, I had 3 pregnant coworkers and my sister in law was pregnant too. I was ready to rip my hair out.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Ok I'm a bit pissed. I got a CVS brand ovulation thermometer to keep tract of my tempurature. I'm really paranoid that I'm not ovulating for some reason so I figured tracking my temp would be a good way to see if everything is working since your temperature spikes right after you ovulate. I've been tracking since the beginning of my cycle and I'm at the point where my temp should be spiking any day now, but my readings always seem really low. So I did a test this morning and tested with that thermometer and my regular old mercury one. The cvs one read my temp at 97.4 and the mercury one read it at 97.9! That is a huge difference. I then had my husband check his temp and it read his temp at being 96.4 and the other one said his temp was 97. I guess I'll be using the mercury one from now on but it feels like a waste tracking this cycle because I have no idea if it was accurate or not. Dammit!

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

As long as it was consistent it shouldn't matter if it was reading a little lower, since it's the change in temperature you're looking for, not a particular number... I would do a few more tests checking with both thermometers at the same time a few hours apart to see if it's always off by about the same amount. If yes then you can either keep using the digital, or switch to the mercury and kind of mentally adjust your previous readings. If not, well... drat. :/

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I did actually take two readings this morning with the digital. The first was the 97.4, then I did the mercury and got the 97.9, then I did the digital right away and it was 97.7 so gently caress it.

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

Alterian posted:

Ok I'm a bit pissed. I got a CVS brand ovulation thermometer to keep tract of my tempurature. I'm really paranoid that I'm not ovulating for some reason so I figured tracking my temp would be a good way to see if everything is working since your temperature spikes right after you ovulate. I've been tracking since the beginning of my cycle and I'm at the point where my temp should be spiking any day now, but my readings always seem really low. So I did a test this morning and tested with that thermometer and my regular old mercury one. The cvs one read my temp at 97.4 and the mercury one read it at 97.9! That is a huge difference. I then had my husband check his temp and it read his temp at being 96.4 and the other one said his temp was 97. I guess I'll be using the mercury one from now on but it feels like a waste tracking this cycle because I have no idea if it was accurate or not. Dammit!

I have no idea how to track basal temps. I figured I'd wait until a few months of not getting pregnant before trying. All that considered, I agree that you should use the mercury one. They're a lot more reliable than digital. With digital I've taken my (regular) temp twice in 2 minutes with completely different results.

The only thing I know about temping is that you have to sleep under the same conditions every night and test at the same time every morning before first pee. If one night you sleep with your mouth open or pee during the night, your results will be "off". While I generally wouldn't recommend the site due to it's "baby dust" and "sparklies", mothering.com's forum has a lot of people who are good at interpreting charts. You can always try posting yours in their TTC forum. You might get some good answers.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Lannie posted:

The only thing I know about temping is that you have to sleep under the same conditions every night and test at the same time every morning before first pee.

Luckily for me I have a regular white collar type job so my alarm goes off every day at 6:30 to get me up and I still wake up that time on the weekends (even though I usually look at the clock and go back to sleep) so its easy for me to keep consistent.

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

Alterian posted:

I did actually take two readings this morning with the digital. The first was the 97.4, then I did the mercury and got the 97.9, then I did the digital right away and it was 97.7 so gently caress it.

That sucks. My digital bbt was cheap as hell and worked fine, I guess I lucked out. :/

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

Well, we weren't trying just yet, but got pregnant anyway! Good luck to everyone else trying!

Ortsacras
Feb 11, 2008
12/17/00 Never Forget

Alterian posted:

I hope I get pregnant soon. I'm turning into a jealous bitch. I went to a wedding the other weekend and I saw a girl I went to high school with for the first time in a couple of years and I thought she was pregnant and I was a little bit upset about it cause it wasn't fair that she was pregnant and I wasn't (I never cared for her much in high school) Then at the reception she was knocking back the alcohol and I turned to my husband and said "Good! She's just loving fat!" and he gave me a pretty hilarious shocked look.

You're not a bitch; this is hilarious.

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

My test yesterday (10dpo):

Altered to see it better

And today's test (11dpo): MUCH easier to read! ;)

I've tried 4 different types of tests (yeah, I wanted to make sure!), First Response Early Result, internet cheapies from early-pregnancy-tests.com, Dollartree brand (New Choice) and EPT Certainty (digital). I just wanted to share my experiences with them for those that really want/need that early answer.

First Response Early Result ($14/2 pack on sale): Heard about these from a bunch of different pregnancy forums. They really do pick pregnancy up fast! As you can see, the result is light (6 days before period was due), but it's there! A faint line is as good as a dark line.

early-pregnancy-tests.com internet cheapies ($0.50 - $0.92/test): Got these free with my ovulation strips. They suck. Seriously, if you get them free, go ahead and try them, but don't go thinking you're not pregnant if a 2nd line doesn't show up. They claim to be sensitive up to 20/ml. No loving way. They picked it up the least and if I wasn't used to where I needed to look from the ovulation version, I never would have realized that a line was even there. Don't bother paying for these.

Dollartree (New Choice)($1.00/test): Most people think that dollar store tests are poo poo, well let me just say that this particular brand isn't. It's not excellent, but better than internet cheapies. The line was REALLY light, but it was visible.

EPT Certainty (digital)($17/3 pack on sale): There's no mistaking this result. Worked well 5 days before period was due. No squinting, no bringing every flashlight in the house over to see a line. Just a clear "pregnant" or not "pregnant".

If you're crazy about testing, and don't want to spend a fortune on tests, I recommend the dollar tree ones. If you only plan on testing once or twice when you're pretty sure you're pregnant, I recommend the First Response Early Result or the EPT Certainty if you just want a clear yes or no.

Anyway, I thought that this might be helpful for some of you. Especially those of you that got the ovulation strips that came with the pregnancy tests.

jennyinstereo
Jan 17, 2007

[rocking faces since the 80s]
But the ovulation test strips are alright, right? I plan on buying them asap!!! It is payday today, after all :D

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

jennyinstereo posted:

But the ovulation test strips are alright, right? I plan on buying them asap!!! It is payday today, after all :D

Yeah, they work well, but don't buy any. I have a toooonnn (ok, 50) to spare. I'll give them to you this weekend or next weekend. Whenever we get together.

Azulita
Dec 9, 2006

by Lowtax
I had good luck with the early-pregnancy-tests.com brand last time around (I get them from Amazon when I buy pre-seed)- I got a positive at 12dpo. They are also handy for keepsakes - it's much easier to cut the icky absorbent strip off of the end.

If anybody is considering buying the OV Watch don't get it - it's a very expensive waste of money.

Crabsurd
Dec 19, 2006
Congratulations Lannie!

I think I'm going to have some trouble here. My cycles are not regular at all. The last three have been 34, 32 and 39 days. I'm not expecting them to right themselves because they were like this before I went on birth control. Looks like I'm going to be pretty much buying shares in the ovulation strip companies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Miss Shell posted:

Congratulations Lannie!

I think I'm going to have some trouble here. My cycles are not regular at all. The last three have been 34, 32 and 39 days. I'm not expecting them to right themselves because they were like this before I went on birth control. Looks like I'm going to be pretty much buying shares in the ovulation strip companies!

Seriously check out http://www.amazon.com/Taking-Charge-Your-Fertility-Anniversary/dp/0060881909/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242225089&sr=8-1 and learn how to read your fertility signs!

• Locked thread