Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

Agreed, TCOYF basically got me pregnant. I got knocked up in my third cycle off the pill (the first was anovulatory and the second one was really wacky still), which I think is pretty darn good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I'm starting to get the feeling from charting my temp and my cervical fluid that I have a hypothyroid problem. The frustrating thing is I went to my GP in September suspecting the same problem. I have all but one or two of the symptoms of it back then. The doctor did a blood test and said I was normal.

I have almost all the symptoms in the TCOYF book for having it. (I shouldn't have 7 days of fertile cervical fluid in a row!)

So I'm saying gently caress it and I'm going to start to treat myself as if I do have the issue and try to treat it naturally and see if it improves. My mom has all the symptoms of hypothyroid too and she always asks doctors to test her and they always do blood tests and say she's fine.

It sucks though because I have to change my diet. No gluten for me :(

Aardvarklet
Aug 12, 2008

Longpig posted:

Agreed, TCOYF basically got me pregnant. I got knocked up in my third cycle off the pill (the first was anovulatory and the second one was really wacky still), which I think is pretty darn good.

Me too, can't say enough about this book and the method it teaches. I went off the pill in December and my following cycles were 28 days, 30 days, 31 days...not that that's a huge variance, but if we had been going by the standard "I probably ovulate on day 14" schedule I probably wouldn't be pregnant already.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Holy poo poo, is it really this hard to get pregnant? I'm a guy, and I was educated in the great state of Arizona (last I heard ranked 40+) and didn't learn much in sex ed other than "sex makes you pregnant and your penis will fall off." I'm not naive though and have a healthy sex life using condoms and just the pill when I'm with a committed relationship. But I guess the only times I hear about people getting pregnant are accidents and the morning after pill always follows the news. I guess I just never realized that people had to actually plan and try to get pregnant?

I'm just surprised is all.

Night Chaos
Jun 8, 2003

Ziir posted:

Holy poo poo, is it really this hard to get pregnant? I'm a guy, and I was educated in the great state of Arizona (last I heard ranked 40+) and didn't learn much in sex ed other than "sex makes you pregnant and your penis will fall off." I'm not naive though and have a healthy sex life using condoms and just the pill when I'm with a committed relationship. But I guess the only times I hear about people getting pregnant are accidents and the morning after pill always follows the news. I guess I just never realized that people had to actually plan and try to get pregnant?

I'm just surprised is all.

I am just a 20 year old male reading this thread for curiosity and such but I have learned that if you should get pregnant to pass on your wonderful and successful and stable family genes it is very hard and has endless complications and if you are 16 and raped by the quarterback two days after a cycle you get pregnant somehow. This is how the cruel universe works as I understand it.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
A healthy 16-30 year old couple, having fairly regular sex has about an 80% chance of getting pregnant per year. Older than 30 the numbers go down. That 20% is a lot of people. Some of them are just unlucky, some of them have health problems they aren't aware of, some of them have incompatibilities that make them infertile with each other, but not with other people.

Most people who decide to get knocked up, without complicating circumstances like health or advanced age will get a kid, but there are all kinds of ways to push the percentages for getting one on the first or second opportunity, instead of the 11th or 17th opportunity.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Not to mention a lot of us (like me) were on the pill and we're not sure when our cycles are going to be normal again. It can be normal the first month after stopping or depending on what you're on and for how long up to a year. When the switch flips in your head and you want a baby now, those months wait can be freaking torture especially when everyone else around you is getting pregnant.

Fionnoulla
Jan 30, 2006

Drop the chalupa!

Alterian posted:

Not to mention a lot of us (like me) were on the pill and we're not sure when our cycles are going to be normal again. It can be normal the first month after stopping or depending on what you're on and for how long up to a year. When the switch flips in your head and you want a baby now, those months wait can be freaking torture especially when everyone else around you is getting pregnant.

No poo poo. My husband and I were fine with "one day we'll have kids". Then his sister got pregnant and it was like all of the sudden, we realized that "one day" was NOW. Now as in why the hell am I not already pregnant?

krazynuts
Jan 15, 2008
I saw a book on some morning show on TV called "What to Expect Before You're Expectig" (which is a play on the popular book "What to Expect When You're Expecting") It seemed like the exerpts they read were interesting. Like how random things make you more or less fertile. For example, the zinc in oysters makes you more fertile and somehow cough syrup helps too (not that you should down a bottle to get pregnant). And anti-histamines could make you less likely to get preggers. I apologize if this is any sort of re-post.

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

Don't wanna be your man, just wanna play with you.

Slo-Tek posted:

A healthy 16-30 year old couple

i had to do a double take at this because i skimmed through and saw this as a relationship between a 16 year old and a 30 year old. :downs:

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

krazynuts posted:

I saw a book on some morning show on TV called "What to Expect Before You're Expectig" (which is a play on the popular book "What to Expect When You're Expecting") It seemed like the exerpts they read were interesting. Like how random things make you more or less fertile. For example, the zinc in oysters makes you more fertile and somehow cough syrup helps too (not that you should down a bottle to get pregnant). And anti-histamines could make you less likely to get preggers. I apologize if this is any sort of re-post.

Cough syrup makes you produce more fertile cervical mucus and anti histamines dry it up!

I feel bad for posting a lot, but I'm scared to post on those mothering message boards because I might offend someone with my more...ah...not childish euphamisms.

So I've been searching around and finding that people take their basal temperature when they are checking for thyroid conditions by sticking the thermometer in their armpit for 10 minutes and taking the reading. Can I use this method for ovulatory purposes? I'm finding I sleep with my mouth open a lot more than I realize and my temps are all over the place, but my under arm temp seems to be pretty stable. I absolutely refuse to take my temperature vaginally. I could just see myself falling back asleep with a mercury thermometer up there and rolling over funny and breaking it.

Azulita
Dec 9, 2006

by Lowtax
I don't know about armpits, but I know a few hardcore chicks who take it vaginally. It's supposed to be very accurate, but I just can't see waking up that way every morning.

Socratic Method Man
Dec 23, 2008
LF Grandma

:toot:
errrr...

If having something in your vagina is "hardcore", pregnancy may not be for you! :(

Fionnoulla
Jan 30, 2006

Drop the chalupa!

Alterian posted:

So I've been searching around and finding that people take their basal temperature when they are checking for thyroid conditions by sticking the thermometer in their armpit for 10 minutes and taking the reading. Can I use this method for ovulatory purposes?

This is how they taught us to take our baby's temperature when he was in the NICU. Keep in mind that the reading is going to be .5 to 1 degree lower than an oral temp. But basically, you need to be taking it the same way every day, so as long as you have an accurate thermometer and make sure you aren't sweaty and that the thermometer has skin contact rather than clothing, you should be ok, since you're looking for temperature changes from day to day.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Socratic Method Man posted:

errrr...

If having something in your vagina is "hardcore", pregnancy may not be for you! :(

Glass and mercury in the vag is pretty hardcore.

Fionnoulla posted:

This is how they taught us to take our baby's temperature when he was in the NICU. Keep in mind that the reading is going to be .5 to 1 degree lower than an oral temp. But basically, you need to be taking it the same way every day, so as long as you have an accurate thermometer and make sure you aren't sweaty and that the thermometer has skin contact rather than clothing, you should be ok, since you're looking for temperature changes from day to day.

Thats good to know. I think I'll just take it under my arm from now on. When I take it orally, my temp is all over the place in the 97 - 98 range (I think cause I sleep with my mouth open) but under my arm its been pretty consistent around 98. My husband felt left out and took his this morning and it was 96. At least I can tell him now not to freak out because it could be a whole degree off!

Alterian fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jun 10, 2009

sinistrality
Feb 23, 2007
just shut up and eat the cookies.
This is probably far too specific of a thing to be inquiring about in a rather 'general' thread, but I'll give it a go anyway.

Does anyone have any experience with autoimmune disorders and pregnancy? Specificially rheumatoid arthritis.. My rheumatologist assures me there are no risks associated with my condition, aside from medications I'd have to stop. But I'm not really sitting in the doctor's office and having a heart-to-heart with the man, so while he can answer straightforward questions like that, I don't really have any idea when to do it or how to go about it.

My husband and I have been married for a year and, before getting diagnosed, haven't had any intentions of having kids for SEVERAL years. Like 5 or more. But now I feel like maybe I have a smaller window of mobility than I thought I did. I either want to have them soon enough that I will still be able to chase them around OR not have them at all. I don't want to be the mom who never comes to school functions and whose kids can't have sleepovers because she's a bedridden sadsack.

So does anyone have any experience with RA or a related condition and having children? Should I get to trying now? Stick with the original 5 year plan? Or just not burden children with a sickly mother at all?

Sally Slug
Jul 8, 2005

Ride, Sally, ride!

sinistrality posted:

So does anyone have any experience with RA or a related condition and having children? Should I get to trying now? Stick with the original 5 year plan? Or just not burden children with a sickly mother at all?

While I can't answer most of your questions, I can say that a sickly, loving mother is still a loving mother. You don't have to make all the PTA meetings to still be parent of the year to your kids. My mother's mother was bipolar back in the days of electroshock and institutions, and although occasionally her kids would resent that she wasn't normal, they loved her, she loved them, and it made all of them much more understanding and empathetic to differences between people. It certainly helped that they had a loving father, too, that stuck with their mother even when things were really rough for her. Don't forget that even if you end up immobile you still have a second part of the parenting equation, your husband. He always can try and do double duty on the nights when it's your turn to host the sleepovers.

Honestly, love is the most important piece of the parenting puzzle. Having a body that does what you tell it to do makes things easier, but it shouldn't be a dealbreaker unless you want it to be. If you want children you should have them when you and your husband feel ready and not focus so much on some magical number of years after which it will be "ok" to proceed. Talk about it together, read a book or two on parenting-- hell, google "parenting with arthritis" as there seems to be a tonne of resources out there-- and figure out what works for you.

Pixi
Apr 16, 2001

I am loved.
Period came. On to the next cycle of Clomid, upped to 100mg. No ovulation last cycle, but lots of fake ovulation pain. Stupid Clomid.

Congrats to all the newly pregnant people.

DachsieLove
Sep 19, 2005
I have RA and have known for about 6 years. It hasn't sped up my husbands plans any. If you want to keep the plan I'd just keep to the medicine. It helps. I recently went off of mine and I can tell the difference. I'm not as good at taking care of myself as I should be.

On an off not what medicines are you on? I was only on Methotrexate. It works wonders but seriously messes with your system.

Socratic Method Man
Dec 23, 2008
LF Grandma

:toot:
Sorry to reply to this here, but you have no other contact info, so I just wanted to say:

DachsieLove posted:

I have RA and have known for about 6 years. It hasn't sped up my husbands plans any. If you want to keep the plan I'd just keep to the medicine. It helps. I recently went off of mine and I can tell the difference. I'm not as good at taking care of myself as I should be.

On an off not what medicines are you on? I was only on Methotrexate. It works wonders but seriously messes with your system.

If it ever becomes possible for you to get your hands on Remicade, I highly recommend it. My mom replaced her methotraxate therapy with it and the difference is absolutely loving mind-boggling.

The major drawback is that you build a tolerance to it, and there's only so much they can give you, but it is bananas how well it works while it works... you're probably looking at 5-10 years. She went from bed/wheelchair bound to fully mobile.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
So when can I start testing? I'm on cycle day 21 and I think I ovulated a week ago. All I have right now are the strips that came with my ovulation test strips. Should I just wait on a missed period? Argh! So impatient!

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

snookie snookeie snnnokeid

Chickalicious posted:

So when can I start testing? I'm on cycle day 21 and I think I ovulated a week ago. All I have right now are the strips that came with my ovulation test strips. Should I just wait on a missed period? Argh! So impatient!

Are you having any symptoms?

ETA: Those EPT.com strips (pregnancy, not ovulation) are pretty bunk. They probably won't show anything until at least 4 or so days until your period. It sucks getting negative results. If you won't be bothered by it, there's no harm in trying. Though I warn you, peeing on stuff will become addictive! lol. If you really think you might be pregnant and don't want to wait, I recommend First Response Early Result. They picked it up the fastest for me.

Lannie fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 18, 2009

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I'm now 15 dpo (if I did ovulate) and got a negative pregnancy test :sigh:

My husband keeps trying to get me to take them almost every day. I just get too depressed when it comes up negative. We decided not to tell anyone that we're trying for a baby which sort of sucks cause I have nobody to talk to about it but him. I guess the bright side is none of my friends have to listen to me angst.

Alterian fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 18, 2009

Pixi
Apr 16, 2001

I am loved.
I'm sorry Alterian. Not ovulating sucks rear end, and being unsure about it is worse. I know you're a charter, but ovulation tests and my fertility monitor have saved my sanity. I can handle the fact that I don't ovulate, but being unsure about it was driving me crazy.

You chart with Fertility Friend?

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.

Lannie posted:

Are you having any symptoms?

ETA: Those EPT.com strips (pregnancy, not ovulation) are pretty bunk. They probably won't show anything until at least 4 or so days until your period. It sucks getting negative results. If you won't be bothered by it, there's no harm in trying. Though I warn you, peeing on stuff will become addictive! lol. If you really think you might be pregnant and don't want to wait, I recommend First Response Early Result. They picked it up the fastest for me.

Nah, no symptoms. I'm just anxious to know. I'll wait a week.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Pixi posted:

I'm sorry Alterian. Not ovulating sucks rear end, and being unsure about it is worse. I know you're a charter, but ovulation tests and my fertility monitor have saved my sanity. I can handle the fact that I don't ovulate, but being unsure about it was driving me crazy.

You chart with Fertility Friend?

Yeah. If you read a couple of my past posts, I was using a digital thermometer and it was totally messed up for the first half of this cycle and I switched to a analog thermometer right after I would have ovulated so I have no freaking clue.

RedFish
Aug 6, 2006
..blue fish, one fish, two fish: blue fish need not apply.

Alterian posted:

I'm starting to get the feeling from charting my temp and my cervical fluid that I have a hypothyroid problem. The frustrating thing is I went to my GP in September suspecting the same problem. I have all but one or two of the symptoms of it back then. The doctor did a blood test and said I was normal.

I have almost all the symptoms in the TCOYF book for having it. (I shouldn't have 7 days of fertile cervical fluid in a row!)

So I'm saying gently caress it and I'm going to start to treat myself as if I do have the issue and try to treat it naturally and see if it improves. My mom has all the symptoms of hypothyroid too and she always asks doctors to test her and they always do blood tests and say she's fine.

It sucks though because I have to change my diet. No gluten for me :(

--threadjack--
I was going to PM you but either you don't have plat or you have them turned off.

I'm quite nastily hypothyroid despite having "normal" test results. (Barely normal, but technically normal) Some article I read put the number of sub-clinical hypthyroidism cases at around 30% (or 35%, can't remember exactly) so there are a lot of people suffering from legit thyroid problems that aren't getting the help they need. Despite my test results (and that was a basic TSH + T4, there are many others they can do) I am highly symptomatic and my new doctor has been working with the symptoms, not the blood test, and we want to get it under control before it trashes my kidneys for good.

So, don't accept a basic test if you think you're hypothyroid. You could take a look at http://www.tpa-uk.org.uk/hypothyroidism.php if you want some ammo to take back to the doctors.

Okay, now I'll go back to reading this thread as a lurker; discussions of biological clocks always fascinate me as I'll be turning 29 this year and am further in the "don't want kids" camp than ever. Good luck ladies!

Susan B. Antimony
Aug 25, 2008

Not sure whether this is an appropriate thread for me to post in, as I haven't been STC--so if you tell me to butt out, I will. That said, my husband and I had a condom break awhile back; I don't think I should have been fertile then, but now my period is four days late. I want to wait to test until Monday--I have the EPT tests, and picked up the idea from this thread that they are not particularly sensitive--but I'm caught between wanting to know as soon as possible and wanting to get an accurate result the first time. What's my best course of action? We hadn't been planning a child, but a pregnancy would be good news, just unexpected.

Azulita
Dec 9, 2006

by Lowtax
If you're four days late, those EPT.com tests should work fine. I would test and see what happens!

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

Yep, if you're 4 days late, the ept.com tests should work. They just suck at early detection. Good luck!

Susan B. Antimony
Aug 25, 2008

Got a negative. The reason I asked is because the last time I was pregnant, I didn't test positive until six weeks, and even then only first thing in the morning. Is that super weird? Ah, well--the suspense continues!

ScottK
Jun 28, 2006
I don't really know if I should be posting this here or in the miscarriage thread, but here goes:

As I've said before, my wife has had two very early miscarriages. The second one was between 1-2 months ago. She was in a good bit of pain so we ended up going to the doctor and having an ultrasound, and they said there was a lot of blood/clots in her uterus.

We had the talk with the doctor and he suggested we wait about 3 months before beginning to try to get pregnant again, which we intended to do.

So here's my question. She never really bled a whole lot, at least not as much as was expected after the ultrasound (although she did have her levels checked again after about a week and they said that they had gone down like they should have). She just took a pregnancy test and we are pregnant again, so basically she never had a period after the miscarriage. I guess I am worried about whether or not the "wait 3 months" thing is for physical or emotional reasons. I'm wondering if she could still have blood/clots that could sort of make the uterus uninhabitable for the newly fertilized egg.

I don't know, I'm just worried again. Of course she will be going to the doctor some time soon and we'll probably get these answers from the doctor.

ScottK fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jun 24, 2009

Main Wife
Oct 25, 2005

Dont fuck with me

SKeefe posted:

I don't really know if I should be posting this here or in the miscarriage thread, but here goes:

As I've said before, my wife has had two very early miscarriages. The second one was between 1-2 months ago. She was in a good bit of pain so we ended up going to the doctor and having an ultrasound, and they said there was a lot of blood/clots in her uterus.

We had the talk with the doctor and he suggested we wait about 3 months before beginning to try to get pregnant again, which we intended to do.

So here's my question. She never really bled a whole lot, at least not as much as was expected after the ultrasound (although she did have her levels checked again after about a week and they said that they had gone down like they should have). She just took a pregnancy test and we are pregnant again, so basically she never had a period after the miscarriage. I guess I am worried about whether or not the "wait 3 months" thing is for physical or emotional reasons. I'm wondering if she could still have blood/clots that could sort of make the uterus uninhabitable for the newly fertilized egg.

I don't know, I'm just worried again. Of course she will be going to the doctor some time soon and we'll probably get these answers from the doctor.

It's more to heal physically and emotionally - can't remember w/o pulling up the other thread if y'all had to do a d&c or not. If I remember right, it was more of a chemical pregnancy, right? So probably a mix of emotional and physical - if her levels went down y'all should be fine, but make sure the doc is aware of the history - remind them and all - so they can make sure all is well up in there (and you might get an early u/s out of it, if they want to make sure the HCG triggering the positive isn't residual). Wishing you much luck.

ScottK
Jun 28, 2006

Evil Stepmother posted:

It's more to heal physically and emotionally - can't remember w/o pulling up the other thread if y'all had to do a d&c or not. If I remember right, it was more of a chemical pregnancy, right? So probably a mix of emotional and physical - if her levels went down y'all should be fine, but make sure the doc is aware of the history - remind them and all - so they can make sure all is well up in there (and you might get an early u/s out of it, if they want to make sure the HCG triggering the positive isn't residual). Wishing you much luck.
No d&c. She had her levels taken today and the HCG was 55 and progesterone was 19 which they said was normal for both. We'll see I guess.

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

SKeefe posted:

No d&c. She had her levels taken today and the HCG was 55 and progesterone was 19 which they said was normal for both. We'll see I guess.

I don't have any advice/answers to your questions, but I wanted to say good luck! I really hope this one sticks for you guys.

yumemiru
Sep 1, 2006
ikitai yo kimi no machi
I started charting this cycle, and I am having so much trouble telling apart cervical fluid.
It seems that I get all the cervical fluid variations within a couple days of each other, at erratic times. Could this be because I just got off the pill after taking it for 10 years? Has anyone had this happen then gotten it stabled out?

Just two more months until we start trying :) (charting + condoms are annoying)

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.

yumemiru posted:

I started charting this cycle, and I am having so much trouble telling apart cervical fluid.
It seems that I get all the cervical fluid variations within a couple days of each other, at erratic times. Could this be because I just got off the pill after taking it for 10 years? Has anyone had this happen then gotten it stabled out?

Just two more months until we start trying :) (charting + condoms are annoying)

When I got off the pill and started charting, my cervical fluid was everywhere for the first 3 months. I had double "peak days," really long periods of "fertile fluid," etc. After that, I've been really regular with everything. I would say give it a few months.

Also, I know it's gross, but my instructor said to do a "seminal fluid test." Basically, if the fluid feels like seminal fluid when you wipe, it's lubricative. Charting can be gross.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Hi everyone, I have kind of a tangential question that's been on my mind and I'm hoping it can be answered.

I'm a 23 year old male. I've just graduated college and I'm starting my first "real" job next Monday (just to get an idea of where I am in life). My girlfriend is 20, and intends to get her doctorate in Psychology so she will likely be in school until her late 20s.

I have no idea if my girlfriend and I will have kids or not eventually, but one thing that honestly scares the gently caress out me is the "must have babies now" mentality that you can see throughout this thread. And there's nothing wrong with that mentality necessarily, since it's purely biological obviously, but it scares me because I don't understand it, and being a man the only emotion I can think of that would compare is the feeling of "must have sex NOW" that often causes men to forgo the condom in a fit of lust. Any emotion that disregards reason is not particularly welcome in my world, especially if I have no idea how to understand it. Also one of my best friend's wives just "happened" to get pregnant while on the pill and given her nature, I suspect that the pregnancy was not a mistake at all. All of this contributes to my terror and misunderstanding of the situation.

My girlfriend is very maternal and I like that about her because I'm touchy-feely too. However our lives our just beginning, and as two promising, educated young people (especially her) I feel like I have a responsibility to delay kids until at least 30 if not later (right now I would honestly be OK with never having kids at all). BUT having said that I know that at some point her baby clock will turn on one day and she might be literally unable to help herself from wanting a baby so bad, and wanting it NOW. This gives me terrifying nightmares. I'm not willing to throw away our promising future over biological impulses.

So I guess I just would appreciate some insight on what it's like to want a baby super bad. Did you wake up one day with a burning need? A lot of people are saying that someone they knew got pregnant and then they JUST HAD to get pregnant too and YESTERDAY GODDAMNIT. Is that really how it works? I'm trying to understand this emotion so I can come at it from a rational perspective if/when it happens. I hope you guys can shed some light on this because right now I'm more scared of my girlfriend's biological clock than I am of literally anything short of death. It seems like a ticking time bomb to me that threatens to undermine our future. Please help me understand or at least come to grips on the situation.

ScottK
Jun 28, 2006

Taima posted:

the "must have babies now" mentality that you can see throughout this thread.
Well, just make sure you differentiate between a sudden feeling of "must have babies now" and the strong desire to get pregnant that a woman (or a couple) can get when they have rationally decided to try to have a child and are having a some or a lot of difficulty.

There is a difference, and I think of the latter case as simply wanting things badly that you are really trying for and that it appears you can't have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

Are you freaking kidding me!?
Big rear end reply, my bad

Taima posted:

Any emotion that disregards reason is not particularly welcome in my world, especially if I have no idea how to understand it. Also one of my best friend's wives just "happened" to get pregnant while on the pill and given her nature, I suspect that the pregnancy was not a mistake at all. All of this contributes to my terror and misunderstanding of the situation.

People get pregnant while on birth control all the time. A myriad of things can effect the pill, antibiotics, times, etc. While you see things as needing reason, what you describe is basically the opposite. Just as much as you feel having a 'plan' is necessary, some people are equally comfortable without one. I don't really know how else to describe it? I mean, I like having things mapped out, but I also realize that if they aren't it does not mean death, and I do my best not to panic. It just means you better modify your plan accordingly, and use as much reason as possible in doing so to balance out the emotional aspect. To me, and this isn't for everyone, its part of taking responsibility for the choices I make. Some things will hit you blind, or you'll do something stupid, but you just say "Okay, well, I have to do what I have to do." A change like having a baby doesn't HAVE to diminish your quality of life, you just have to be flexible enough in your priorities to realize that while you might not be able to drop hat and run off to Mt. Fuji on a day's notice, seeing your child smile at you as you take him to Disney could be equally nice. I was told when I started Metformin that it could take six months to start working. I was pregnant two weeks later. I got married in Vegas and couldn't drink/party in clubs, but I still had a blast. I could have canceled the trip, or sat about pissed off that I couldn't 'live it up', but instead I just changed how I spent my time, and ended up having a different type of blast. Now of course a child requires much more time/care/money than a week in Vegas, but the mentality can apply to any situation. I wasn't going to abort and try again after the wedding in the hopes that things would be 'mapped out better'. What if I didn't get that chance?

Taima posted:

This gives me terrifying nightmares. I'm not willing to throw away our promising future over biological impulses.

If you don't want kids right now, you can't picture wanting them. Its like being pissed off at the guy who just rear-ended your car and someone telling you - be happy about it! But there are lots of promising educated people aside from yourself that have kids and make it work. Remember that. Having a baby doesn't equal a failure. If you have an 'accidental' pregnancy, you have to remember that you AND she have to make the decision together (just as you made the decision to have sex), and in the case of a surprise pregnancy, neither of you will likely get your way 100%. If you are willing to be in a relationship, be willing to understand that much at least. And just be very, very, very careful if children are not something you want. You don't know who you will be five years from now. Things could change, and losing sleep at night over it is silly. You should continue to be responsible and enjoy your life, but if this is also such a huge concern to you, you need to sit down with your S/O and discuss what you both want in the future.

Taima posted:

So I guess I just would appreciate some insight on what it's like to want a baby super bad. Did you wake up one day with a burning need? A lot of people are saying that someone they knew got pregnant and then they JUST HAD to get pregnant too and YESTERDAY GODDAMNIT. Is that really how it works? I'm trying to understand this emotion so I can come at it from a rational perspective if/when it happens. I hope you guys can shed some light on this because right now I'm more scared of my girlfriend's biological clock than I am of literally anything short of death. It seems like a ticking time bomb to me that threatens to undermine our future. Please help me understand or at least come to grips on the situation.

I wouldn't say I woke up one day. It was a gradual thing. I got a good job, we bought a home, I started thinking about what I wanted for my life. We lost a pregnancy previously, and it had been on my mind, but I wanted to get settled in first. As time went on and my routine started to feel more and more...'is this it?' I just started thinking about what else I wanted to do with my life. The baby thing kept coming forward, especially watching those around me raising their children. It just felt like the next logical step for me.

You won't ever want kids if you keep picturing them as this life-destroying object that fucks up your ability to have a good job, any nice things, money, etc. etc. PLENTY of people have kids and do just fine. My boss has 3, they're trying for #4. His wife is an ER doctor, he is an IT project manager. They spend plenty of time with their children, taking them places, etc. His wife quits working each time she gives birth and they manage off of savings and his salary, which isn't huge. They are one of the happiest families I know.

Meanwhile I have a co-worker who makes 125k a year and he just turned 31. He grew up in bumblefuck, and married at 18. He and his wife (who is smoking hot) used to live in a real trailer park, poor as hell, working retail. He eventually finished college and got a good job in IT, and busted rear end to keep climbing the ladder. They had a baby. He got this current job. Built a 500k house in one of the highest taxed areas in my state. Had another kid. Drive amazing cars. He is so emotionally detached and fixated with money/success that she just left him because all she wanted was to go back to the days when they lived in a trailer and were happy. He is devastated, but instead of chasing her back to their home state and trying to show her this, he is sitting in his office right now. Its not for lack of money either. Its really heartbreaking to see, because they're both lovely people. He wanted the kids too. He pushed her to have the second one, even after we all told him it was a bad idea because he would never give up work. They were part of his plan. Wanting to prove your success to the world is an addictive feeling and I guess he just feels he has to keep climbing up and up, and doesn't see that he could pace himself differently, and have both.

• Locked thread