Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Lannie posted:

I really wouldn't waste your money on a monitor. The test strips are really simple to use and will give you just as good of an indication of ovulation. If the strips don't work for you, the monitor is unlikely to as well. No point in blowing 100+ on the monitor and then also having to buy replacement strips for it. They test for the same hormones.

http://www.early-pregnancy-tests.com/pacof3ovtess.html these are what I used and the results were accurate the first month I started using them. We weren't trying just yet, but I wanted to be sure of my cycle beforehand. I got pregnant anyway because our birth control method failed. Heh, at least I can pinpoint the exact date I got pregnant.

Good to know, thank you! That is a lot of money to spend on something when the strips will just as well.

I am going to try them out. Why is this so much work again? :)

Edit: perhaps a stupid question, but this site is safe to purchase from? My credit card isn't going to end up with purchases made from Nigeria, right?

Agent Burt Macklin fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 15, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

snookie snookeie snnnokeid

Kelly posted:

Good to know, thank you! That is a lot of money to spend on something when the strips will just as well.

I am going to try them out. Why is this so much work again? :)

Edit: perhaps a stupid question, but this site is safe to purchase from? My credit card isn't going to end up with purchases made from Nigeria, right?

It's a safe site. :)

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.

Lannie posted:

It's a safe site. :)

I bought from them 2 months ago on Lannie's recommendation (They should give you a referral bonus!). The strips work great and my cc# isn't being used by the Russians as far as I can tell.

Waiting a few more days to test since I'm only a week out from ovulation. Fingers crossed!

Azulita
Dec 9, 2006

by Lowtax
I am thirding/fourthing the recommendation not to get expensive ovulation monitors. I bought the OV Watch. It cost a lot. Every month, it told me I ovulated, and it seemed to work great. Until my gyn/RE did an ultrasound and discovered that I was annovulatory. So I wasted a lot of money and 3 months of effort (not that it wasn't fun of course).

I spent $10 on a BBT thermometer, and I love it! Because even if a cycle fails and I don't get pregnant, I have useful data for my doctor to analyze. I haven't tried OPKs (yet) but most of my pregnant friends have used them.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I'm having good success in charting using an analog basal thermometer and taking it under my arm every morning. You can get them reasonably priced on amazon.

Eia
Nov 5, 2003
I am sure that these things don't work equally well for every situation, especially in cases where infertility is an issue, but I can't say enough good things about the ClearBlue Easy fertility monitor. It was exactly spot-on with reporting ovulation for me, and I got pregnant 2.5 months into trying, at the age of 36, which is pretty darn good. So, your mileage may vary, but if we decide to conceive a second child, we'll use it again.

jennyinstereo
Jan 17, 2007

[rocking faces since the 80s]
Ugh. So we're not trying yet but my last period was 35 days ago and I'm not pregnant. At this point, I just want my period. I think it's stress. I've never had that happen before. I hope this doesn't mean I'll have a boatload of problems when we actually start trying :(

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Should we have sex every day or every other day during the fertile cycle?

Pixi
Apr 16, 2001

I am loved.
Sex the day before, day of, and day after ovulation gives you the best chance of conceiving. But you would only know those days if you're using ovulation tests or a fertility monitor.

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

jennyinstereo posted:

Ugh. So we're not trying yet but my last period was 35 days ago and I'm not pregnant. At this point, I just want my period. I think it's stress. I've never had that happen before. I hope this doesn't mean I'll have a boatload of problems when we actually start trying :(

You shouldn't have problems unless your stress levels stay up. It's pretty normal to have the odd long cycle here and there. Just keep tracking it and you should be fine. If you're noticing that you're having a few long cycles in a row, you may want to talk to your doctor or OB. If you don't want to deal with a doctor, you can always start taking vitex supplements and upping your vitamin B complex intake. They both help in regulating your cycle.

Don Lapre, sex every other day for 3 days before up to 5 days after ovulation (and of course more, who doesn't love sex?) should be good. It's recommended that you not have sex every day so that the sperm stores have enough time to regenerate. I suppose that a guy with a regular or above average sperm count wouldn't really need to wait that long inbetween, but you never know. I don't think that there's really any harm in having sex every day if you'd like to though, but if after a few months you don't get pregnant, maybe switch.

Azulita
Dec 9, 2006

by Lowtax
According to my RE, sex every other day should be the minimum, but sex everyday is good too. He is always saying that you shouldn't forget to have fun while trying.

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.

Pixi posted:

Sex the day before, day of, and day after ovulation gives you the best chance of conceiving. But you would only know those days if you're using ovulation tests or a fertility monitor.

Hey, I know this is off topic, but I was just thinking of you earlier today. (Hope that's not creepy.) How are you doing?

Pixi
Apr 16, 2001

I am loved.
That's not creepy, but it is sweet. Thanks for thinking of me!

I'm doing ok, hanging in there. Had some personal drama, that will be culminating in taking a once-very-good friend to court sometime this summer, so that sucks, but otherwise fine.

Starting my third round of Clomid in 3 days, so that's good news. And I got a period without having to take Provera, which is awesome!

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Lannie posted:

Don Lapre, sex every other day for 3 days before up to 5 days after ovulation (and of course more, who doesn't love sex?) should be good. It's recommended that you not have sex every day so that the sperm stores have enough time to regenerate. I suppose that a guy with a regular or above average sperm count wouldn't really need to wait that long inbetween, but you never know. I don't think that there's really any harm in having sex every day if you'd like to though, but if after a few months you don't get pregnant, maybe switch.

I just had this conversation with my doc. He said exactly this - sex everyday, multiple times will not help matters. Every other day is what he recommended.

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.

Pixi posted:

That's not creepy, but it is sweet. Thanks for thinking of me!

I'm doing ok, hanging in there. Had some personal drama, that will be culminating in taking a once-very-good friend to court sometime this summer, so that sucks, but otherwise fine.

Starting my third round of Clomid in 3 days, so that's good news. And I got a period without having to take Provera, which is awesome!

Good! I'm glad everything is going well. I'll stop disrupting the thread now. :)

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

I just picked up my prescribed prenatal vitamins, and they are $35 a bottle for a 30 day supply.

I looked on early-pregnancy-tests.com and found these:

http://www.early-pregnancy-tests.com/pregnancyplus.html

They are much cheaper, and for more of them. Are these all the same? Does it matter which ones I take?

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

Kelly posted:

I just picked up my prescribed prenatal vitamins, and they are $35 a bottle for a 30 day supply.

They are much cheaper, and for more of them. Are these all the same? Does it matter which ones I take?

Honestly, prescription prenatals are a waste of money and aren't really necessary. I've heard good things about the Trader Joe's prenatals and I personally like the NatureMade ones. The Trader Joe's ones are on the big side, but they're supposed to be really gentle on the stomach (some prenatals will make you nauseous or really constipated). The NatureMade ones are really small and very gentle. They were fine on my stomach up until about 3 weeks ago. I started puking after I'd take them. It tends to happen a lot during pregnancy, so I don't fault the pills for it. I had been taking them for more than 4 months without any problems.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
I have been taking Target, Kroger or Safeway brand prenatals for over a year now (I knew a year ago that I wanted to have a baby soon, so I just told my husband that they were better than regular women's one-a-days, which they are ;) ), and I have had zero upset stomachs or constipation, and I am someone who is prone to both. My doctor, when I first told him I was coming in next week to talk about having a baby, said the over the counter kind were fine.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

That pretty much seals it then. I'll just get some OTCs then. At first, when they rang me up at CVS, it was $145 for a few boxes - this was after insurance. I just about had a stroke. I couldn't rationalize paying that much for vitamins. The $35 for 30 was no better, but at least after this batch I can check out somewhere else.

Thanks for all of the information so far as I embark on this journey of discovery wherein I curse myself for not paying better attention in middle school sex-ed class. :)

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.

Kelly posted:

I was on Target prenatals until I got pregnant, and then I got HORRIFIC constipation. They tried the colace/Target prenatals route, and when that wasn't enough they prescribed some vitamins with a stool softener in it along with using the colace. Once I was 2 months postpartum I went back to the Target brand. Really, unless there's a specific issue, I don't think there's any reason to take the prescription ones.

Also, we're sortof trying/I may be pregnant right now. We'll see in a few weeks...

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

qentiox posted:

Also, we're sortof trying/I may be pregnant right now. We'll see in a few weeks...

Good luck! :)

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

I just want to echo that the Trader Joe's prenatals are great. I never had any constipation or nausea with 'em. Plus they're only $12 for a 60 day supply.

Azulita
Dec 9, 2006

by Lowtax
I was prescribed prenate DHA and in addition to it being loving expensive it was murder on my stomach. So I switched to an OTC brand. Make sure your prenatal has DHA in it, or take a DHA supplement. DHA is really important for baby's brain development. It's also helpful to take extra folic acid to prevent neural tube defects, particularly if you are diabetic or pre-diabetic. I take a Rite Aid "easy on the stomach" prenatal and a Nature Made DHA/Folic Acid supplement. I do hear great things about the Trader Joe's brand too though.

jennyinstereo
Jan 17, 2007

bamzilla posted:

I just want to echo that the Trader Joe's prenatals are great. I never had any constipation or nausea with 'em. Plus they're only $12 for a 60 day supply.

I still can't swallow them whole. I cut them up into at least 3 pieces. Bam, do you have trouble swallowing them? What's your trick?

On another note, 39 days and still no period... still waiting for it to show up! :arghfist:

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
Those of you who are friends with me on facebook may have already seen this, but my sister-in-law found out she's having a girl today! One part of me is SO excited and I can't wait until the baby is here.

Then there's a tiny part of me that just got immensely sad about it because why isn't that me that's getting ultrasounds and baby presents and maternity shirts. Not to mention I think my period is about to start, so one more failed cycle. I feel like a Grade A loving jerk for even feeling this way.

Anyway, now I can go buy a frilly pair of socks for the baby!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Chickalicious posted:

Then there's a tiny part of me that just got immensely sad about it because why isn't that me that's getting ultrasounds and baby presents and maternity shirts. Not to mention I think my period is about to start, so one more failed cycle. I feel like a Grade A loving jerk for even feeling this way.

I just posted a couple days ago in here about finding out my trashy cousin accidentally got knocked up so you're in good company!

I think I'm getting my period too. :(

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
I'm with you two, we've barely begun trying for real, but the doesn't mean it didn't disappoint me to find out that I am not pregnant. I've been waiting for nearly a year for my husband to be ready to try to have a baby, and now that he's there, I quite unrealistically want to be pregnant right now. I know that's silly and not at all how things go, but it doesn't stop me from being sad. :(

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Is it ironic that before I'd freak out if my period was late and now I freak out if I get my period? :)

Azulita
Dec 9, 2006

by Lowtax
Hey Jen, at Rite-Aid they sell this flavored stuff that is supposed to coat pills and make them go down easier, maybe that would help?

jennyinstereo
Jan 17, 2007

Azulita posted:

Hey Jen, at Rite-Aid they sell this flavored stuff that is supposed to coat pills and make them go down easier, maybe that would help?

Interesting!!! I will definitely have to check it out. Anything to make them go down easier. Otherwise, I'll always have to hide the pieces in yoghurt or jam.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

jennyinstereo posted:

I still can't swallow them whole. I cut them up into at least 3 pieces. Bam, do you have trouble swallowing them? What's your trick?

No problems, I just swallow them while drinking water from a cup (I tried doing it from a water bottle a few times and gagged and coughed up water everywhere). The pill just naturally slides down with a big gulp of water.

I had a friend that would grind pills into pudding.

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.

Chickalicious posted:

Those of you who are friends with me on facebook may have already seen this, but my sister-in-law found out she's having a girl today! One part of me is SO excited and I can't wait until the baby is here.

Anyway, now I can go buy a frilly pair of socks for the baby!

I think those feelings are natural. About two weeks after I had my miscarriage one of my coworkers' trashy slutty daughter got knocked up and made her mother quit work to take care of her baby. I felt like it was really unfair. I hope everything happens for you soon, though!

Edit: I don't want to double post, so I guess I'll go ahead and edit this in. I ordered my test from that site you guys all recommended. I ordered 20 so I could have free shipping. I'm kindof a compulsive tester, so that's good. I feel really fatigued the last few days. Like, REALLY fatigued. So I don't know if I'm imagining symptoms, or if I'm actually pregnant. I'm not sure I even ovulated, since this was my first period post-partum, and I'm still breastfeeding about 4 times a day. We'll see I guess, I'm impatient though. If we don't get pregnant this month or next, I think we're going to wait to try again until January. I do not want to have another child in the summer, Bridget was born last August, and I don't do well with heat.

qentiox fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 21, 2009

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
There is a difference in (some) prescription vitamins and OTC vitamins. My wife has problems with prenatal vitamins with iron in them, they make her nauseated.

Her doctor told her that the formulation of the prescription vitamins makes the iron more tolerable for people who have trouble with regular prenatal vitamins.

Then he gave us a bag full of samples. :)

jennyinstereo
Jan 17, 2007

bamzilla posted:

No problems, I just swallow them while drinking water from a cup (I tried doing it from a water bottle a few times and gagged and coughed up water everywhere). The pill just naturally slides down with a big gulp of water.

I had a friend that would grind pills into pudding.

Hmm maybe that's my issue. I was taking them at work with a water bottle and would gag every time. I'll try a cup. Thanks!

temperedpassion
Dec 23, 2003

'Nuff said.

BDawg posted:

There is a difference in (some) prescription vitamins and OTC vitamins. My wife has problems with prenatal vitamins with iron in them, they make her nauseated.

Her doctor told her that the formulation of the prescription vitamins makes the iron more tolerable for people who have trouble with regular prenatal vitamins.

Then he gave us a bag full of samples. :)

I've been doing pretty well with the standard prenatal and an extra dose of folic acid.

Something must have stuck because we have received confirmation that I'm now almost five weeks along! First prenatal appointment is in August.

:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.
Congrats, temperedpassion!!

No dice for me this month, so it's try try again in August!

Susan B. Antimony
Aug 25, 2008

I posted way earlier in the thread--in fact, about a month ago. Here is my story!

About five weeks ago, I thought I might be pregnant--tested, got a negative, then had a very short period about a week late. Expected period today, no period, decided to test because I have these extra tests still--very faint test line, strong control line. [Only have cell phone for pix, and they don't pick up faint line.] Does that mean what I think it might?

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

at this point you might just wanna see your family doctor for some blood work :)

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

Susan B. Antimony posted:

I posted way earlier in the thread--in fact, about a month ago. Here is my story!

About five weeks ago, I thought I might be pregnant--tested, got a negative, then had a very short period about a week late. Expected period today, no period, decided to test because I have these extra tests still--very faint test line, strong control line. [Only have cell phone for pix, and they don't pick up faint line.] Does that mean what I think it might?

Take a digital test or a First Response Early Result. You should have a pretty definite answer. Good luck.

Congrats temperedpassion!

ETA: Susan, if you took a blue dye test, they often have an "evaporation line", and are notorious for false readings. Pink tests are much more accurate. Just in case.

Lannie fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 22, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Susan B. Antimony
Aug 25, 2008

It was a pink one. :shobon:

edit: it's a clear line, just paler than the other one. Husband looked at the test and got all misty-eyed, so I guess we're assuming a pos.

Susan B. Antimony fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 22, 2009

• Locked thread