Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

Are you freaking kidding me!?
I was really irregular. No period from May - October. Two weeks on Metformin (someone else mentioned it earlier in the thread), and I was pregnant. If you're not regular in your cycles, its worth it to get checked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

Aardvarklet posted:

Elanore--did you experience any side effects with the metformin? My cycles are (I think) still adjusting after getting off the pill, and right now they are getting a day or two longer each time. I'm thinking metformin may be in my future if this keeps up for very long.

I was one of the lucky ones that didn't. I am terrified of new medications. I won't even take OTC cold meds half the time unless I know like 20 people who have used that exact pill. When they gave me Tylenol 3 for my gall bladder with the bab I wouldn't even take it, because I had taken it before and could 'feel' it. I'm pretty much a pill-phob.

That said, something in my gut just told me to go with the met. I started on a half an 850mg pill (which is all it took to get pregnant, but before I knew I was pregnant I had upped to 850/the whole pill). I took it with food at the same exact time every day, and aside from some very, very mild stomach discomfort if I didn't eat the first few weeks, it was fine. No massive pooping, no horrid nausea. It got to the point where I could take it without eating and feel nothing. I have PCOS so I within two weeks started having more energy, more regulated hunger pangs (no more OMG MUST BINGE RIGHT NOW), and I even slept better. If you don't have PCOS I don't know how much it will help, but it worked really well for me, and even some other people without classic PCOS symptoms I've talked with on message boards and such. Insulin is a funny thing, and it can meddle with your hormones even if its just slightly enough to throw poo poo off.

Now I have talked to people who took like 2000mg (max) and had no results. The thing I like though, and I have NOTHING against fertility drugs or treatments, is that unlike Clomid, etc. there is a much smaller risk of multiples. They are fertility drugs, Metformin is for diabetes or insulin resistance, so you get to aside all of the side-effects and such associated with fertility drugs. If that wouldn't have worked, I would have eventually moved on to those.

Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

Sally Slug posted:

One of the cheapo tests from the dollar store detected my pregnancy before the Clear Blue test, so I have great faith in them and in the cheap ovulation strips too.

I got in the habit of buying the cheapo dollar store ones. I had a super faint line at 3 weeks, but none of the expensive tests registered it. At four weeks I took another dollar store one that gave me a clear line. It still took two days for a digital test to give me a positive.

Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

Don't stress too much about low numbers yet. In the first few weeks the range can be kind of wide. Also, the month I got pregnant I even had marked the calendar on the dates we had sex, and I still was off by two weeks. I thought I was 8 at my appointment. I was 6.5. It drove me nuts too.

SKeefe posted:

Trying to get pregnant sucks. When you look around and see babies everywhere, especially people who have unwanted and unplanned children, it seems like it is so easy to get pregnant. It sucks for us though.

Also, trust me, I know this feeling. Right after I miscarried, my sister in law got pregnant, then a bunch of friends. I felt like such an outcast I spent like a month drunk on cheap wine just to try and numb it down. Then I just said that I was going to work with the doctors to get my PCOS in order, focus on my wedding and such, and boom, it happened. Stress doesn't help, and I know that sounds stupid, because of course its totally stressful, but you have to take the 'We can do it, we're just learning how we do it and when we do it as we go' approach.

Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

SKeefe posted:

Yea, we are at the age where A HUGE NUMBER of our peers are getting pregnant, not to mention people younger than us getting pregnant accidentally. Every time someone announces they are pregnant, of course we are happy for them, but I can tell it is like torture for my wife.

Yeah those feelings suck. It sounds cheesy, but just going on a few of the trying to conceive boards really helped me. I learned a ton about the process, and found people who felt the same poo poo I was feeling. I like SA infinitely better, but some of those places have enough traffic that when its quieter here I still had something to read/discuss. Once I got over a lot of the inadequate feelings I had it cleared my head up a good bit. I hope it works out for you guys!

Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

SKeefe posted:

Well we just found out that the levels have only gone up to 275 so it looks like it's just a loving matter of time.

I'm really, really sorry. I know that probably seems like nothing compared to what you guys are feeling, but I really am. You'll get there, don't give up.

Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

Congrats to the newly pregnant people!

Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

My husband and I went through this before we were married and we had a completely unexpected pregnancy/miscarriage (I was told that my PCOS was severe enough that I was completely annovulatory and couldn't get pregnant without medical intervention by an idiot doctor, and we proceeding to think this = ok to be unprotected). After I miscarried I was desperate to try again immediately. I went from 'someday' to 'must do it NOW'. Having him balk at the idea was really, really frustrating. Then his sister bought a house, got married, got pregnant. I had to go through all the motions like I wasn't at all jealous or sad, and it was very difficult. I picked fights with him over it constantly, and would leave the house in a huff. It got to the point where our difference on the issue seemed to be tearing us apart, and it really sucked. I eventually had to back off because it was ruining us. I spent some time researching PCOS and finding a new doctor, and when the doctor was ready to try metformin to make me ovulate, my hub and I talked more and decided to try. Sometimes the urgency can be off putting. At least thats what he told me. The fact that I was pushing so hard made him feel immense pressure on a subject he already felt pressure just thinking about. Now its all I can do to keep him from playing Bob the Builder in prep for the nursery and such. Its hard when you want it so badly, but talking and not fighting is key.

Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

The Heartless posted:

Jumping on this bandwagon.

I'm hoping the Metformin will push me into a more normal cycle. Since I went off birth control it's been anywhere from 26-44 days. And HOPEFULLY ovulate. My husbands so excited to have a baby, but I don't think he realizes it might not happen as fast as he wants it to due to my problems. But we'll see.

Don't stress too much just yet, I was on met two weeks and never had a chance to get a period because 'whoa, pregnant'. If it helped you get a period, it might be what you need, and even if not met alone, maybe some Clomid.

Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

Big rear end reply, my bad

Taima posted:

Any emotion that disregards reason is not particularly welcome in my world, especially if I have no idea how to understand it. Also one of my best friend's wives just "happened" to get pregnant while on the pill and given her nature, I suspect that the pregnancy was not a mistake at all. All of this contributes to my terror and misunderstanding of the situation.

People get pregnant while on birth control all the time. A myriad of things can effect the pill, antibiotics, times, etc. While you see things as needing reason, what you describe is basically the opposite. Just as much as you feel having a 'plan' is necessary, some people are equally comfortable without one. I don't really know how else to describe it? I mean, I like having things mapped out, but I also realize that if they aren't it does not mean death, and I do my best not to panic. It just means you better modify your plan accordingly, and use as much reason as possible in doing so to balance out the emotional aspect. To me, and this isn't for everyone, its part of taking responsibility for the choices I make. Some things will hit you blind, or you'll do something stupid, but you just say "Okay, well, I have to do what I have to do." A change like having a baby doesn't HAVE to diminish your quality of life, you just have to be flexible enough in your priorities to realize that while you might not be able to drop hat and run off to Mt. Fuji on a day's notice, seeing your child smile at you as you take him to Disney could be equally nice. I was told when I started Metformin that it could take six months to start working. I was pregnant two weeks later. I got married in Vegas and couldn't drink/party in clubs, but I still had a blast. I could have canceled the trip, or sat about pissed off that I couldn't 'live it up', but instead I just changed how I spent my time, and ended up having a different type of blast. Now of course a child requires much more time/care/money than a week in Vegas, but the mentality can apply to any situation. I wasn't going to abort and try again after the wedding in the hopes that things would be 'mapped out better'. What if I didn't get that chance?

Taima posted:

This gives me terrifying nightmares. I'm not willing to throw away our promising future over biological impulses.

If you don't want kids right now, you can't picture wanting them. Its like being pissed off at the guy who just rear-ended your car and someone telling you - be happy about it! But there are lots of promising educated people aside from yourself that have kids and make it work. Remember that. Having a baby doesn't equal a failure. If you have an 'accidental' pregnancy, you have to remember that you AND she have to make the decision together (just as you made the decision to have sex), and in the case of a surprise pregnancy, neither of you will likely get your way 100%. If you are willing to be in a relationship, be willing to understand that much at least. And just be very, very, very careful if children are not something you want. You don't know who you will be five years from now. Things could change, and losing sleep at night over it is silly. You should continue to be responsible and enjoy your life, but if this is also such a huge concern to you, you need to sit down with your S/O and discuss what you both want in the future.

Taima posted:

So I guess I just would appreciate some insight on what it's like to want a baby super bad. Did you wake up one day with a burning need? A lot of people are saying that someone they knew got pregnant and then they JUST HAD to get pregnant too and YESTERDAY GODDAMNIT. Is that really how it works? I'm trying to understand this emotion so I can come at it from a rational perspective if/when it happens. I hope you guys can shed some light on this because right now I'm more scared of my girlfriend's biological clock than I am of literally anything short of death. It seems like a ticking time bomb to me that threatens to undermine our future. Please help me understand or at least come to grips on the situation.

I wouldn't say I woke up one day. It was a gradual thing. I got a good job, we bought a home, I started thinking about what I wanted for my life. We lost a pregnancy previously, and it had been on my mind, but I wanted to get settled in first. As time went on and my routine started to feel more and more...'is this it?' I just started thinking about what else I wanted to do with my life. The baby thing kept coming forward, especially watching those around me raising their children. It just felt like the next logical step for me.

You won't ever want kids if you keep picturing them as this life-destroying object that fucks up your ability to have a good job, any nice things, money, etc. etc. PLENTY of people have kids and do just fine. My boss has 3, they're trying for #4. His wife is an ER doctor, he is an IT project manager. They spend plenty of time with their children, taking them places, etc. His wife quits working each time she gives birth and they manage off of savings and his salary, which isn't huge. They are one of the happiest families I know.

Meanwhile I have a co-worker who makes 125k a year and he just turned 31. He grew up in bumblefuck, and married at 18. He and his wife (who is smoking hot) used to live in a real trailer park, poor as hell, working retail. He eventually finished college and got a good job in IT, and busted rear end to keep climbing the ladder. They had a baby. He got this current job. Built a 500k house in one of the highest taxed areas in my state. Had another kid. Drive amazing cars. He is so emotionally detached and fixated with money/success that she just left him because all she wanted was to go back to the days when they lived in a trailer and were happy. He is devastated, but instead of chasing her back to their home state and trying to show her this, he is sitting in his office right now. Its not for lack of money either. Its really heartbreaking to see, because they're both lovely people. He wanted the kids too. He pushed her to have the second one, even after we all told him it was a bad idea because he would never give up work. They were part of his plan. Wanting to prove your success to the world is an addictive feeling and I guess he just feels he has to keep climbing up and up, and doesn't see that he could pace himself differently, and have both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

SKeefe posted:

Well, they took her blood again on Friday and she got the results back yesterday, and the HCG was at 97 (if it doubled like it should it should be around 110), so that is close enough for them to consider it normal.

She also gave blood again yesterday and got those results back and it was up to 365, so so far so good.

Congrats, I really hope it goes well for you. Those first couple of weeks (actually, this entire pregnancy for me) are a really, really anxious and nervous time.

• Locked thread