Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Wish I Was
Dec 11, 2006

I saw this at the bookshop and thought of you.
Posted in the pregnancy thread, but I thought I should keep an eye on this one as well since I'll be visiting it someday for realsies. I'll also likely learn some things that will come in handy when we do start trying.

I'm 36 and my boyfriend is 33, and we're probably going to try having kids at the beginning of next year. Right now I'm trying to do all the stuff you have to do before getting pregnant, like lose weight, quit smoking, get in better cardiovascular shape, and all that jazz.

Anyone else in here of "advanced maternal age" like me? I know it comes with its own set of challenges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Wish I Was
Dec 11, 2006

I hope this thread stays active so it's still around (or has a new incarnation) when I'm actually trying to conceive.

I have been asking around for OB/GYN recommendations; I've changed cities since my daughter was born ten years ago and I've just been getting my girly exams from my internal medicine doc because I thought I was long done with all this childbearing stuff. I definitely plan to sit down with a doctor and say: okay, here's my situation, you tell me what I need to do before I start trying to have a baby.

Unless they've changed from ten years ago, I don't think OTC prenatals of any brand are as good as the prescription ones. You might want to do a side-by-side ingredient comparison and make sure that you're not shorting yourself on important nutrients to save money.

I Wish I Was
Dec 11, 2006

My husband and I have seriously started discussing gettin' knocked up. We need to decide on go/no go soon, because the semester starts Monday and I've signed up for a weight lifting class that I'd certainly have to drop if I got pregnant before the semester ends.

So this weekend I'm researching if it's better to wait a year and be 39 (which would put kid #2 at 40 or 41), or do it now and be overweight.

With my daughter (who will be eleven on Monday), I literally got pregnant the first time we "tried" so I've been going into this assuming that it will be the case again. I know that's not true, but I can't seem to wrap my head around the idea that it might actually be difficult for me to conceive - my ex joked that all he had to do was yell "gently caress you" from across the room and I was pregnant.

I Wish I Was
Dec 11, 2006

Fire In The Disco posted:

How overweight are we talking about? I was about 25-30 lbs overweight when I carried Cecilia, and my OB cautioned me against gaining too much while pregnant but didn't really go more in depth than that. As it turns out it didn't matter, as I apparently inherited my mom's pregnancy genes and only gained 16 lbs total, 6 of which were my girlie.

I'm about 70-80 pounds over my ideal weight. The research I've done in the last few hours indicates that maternal age is a much bigger deal for the baby than being overweight - overweight tends to cause problems for the mom, like gestational diabetes and hypertension, but older moms run much greater risk of genetic abnormalities and miscarriage and that risk increases every year.

I'll take ME feeling like crap for a while to have a healthy baby.

I Wish I Was
Dec 11, 2006

Therapee posted:

My husband and I sat down today and he told me that he had been working on budgeting for about a month, but didn't want to tell me in case it got my hopes up and it wouldn't work.

It will work, and we've decided to stop taking birth control- starting tomorrow. I'm so incredibly excited. We're not going to start tracking ovulation yet.

What did you ladies do to prepare yourselves to become pregnant? I'm already in good shape and I work out, and I'm going to pick up some folic acid tomorrow. I already take a daily multivitamin. Is there anything else the thread would suggest?

Woot! My husband and I decided that since I took out my NuvaRing yesterday I'm not putting another one in. We're also not going to track ovulation or anything just yet, but just see how things go for a few months.

I Wish I Was
Dec 11, 2006

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

So we're trying to get pregnant and the doctor put my wife on Folgard OS. At $30 a month I'm looking for alternatives. Any ideas?

Make sure to compare ingredients and dosages and not just price - my doctor when I was pregnant with my now 11-year-old told me that prescription prenatals are often higher quality with better bioavailability and are more accurate in providing what you actually need as opposed to either throwing the kitchen sink at you or having only 25% of what you need of one thing unless you take four of them which puts you at 400% or even 800% of other things. Lots of the OTC ones I've seen have a measly amount of calcium, for example.

EDIT: Actually, I just looked up Folgard OS and it appears to be 1.1 mg Folic Acid, 12.5 mg Vit B-6, 250 mcg Vit B-12, 100 mg Magnesium, 300 IU Vit D-3, 1.5 mg Boron - not nearly as much stuff as a prenatal multivitamin would have. So as long as the multi you buy covers those areas, you should be good to go.

I Wish I Was fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 30, 2010

I Wish I Was
Dec 11, 2006

I'm being totally irrational about this. My period ended last weekend, and this Saturday i started taking pregnancy tests every morning even though I know it's highly unlikely I'd have enough HGC in my urine even if I was pregnant. Thank god for cheap online test strips!

I Wish I Was
Dec 11, 2006

Moms Stuffing posted:

I'm out! I got my period this morning, but I'm not as depressed about it as I thought I would be. I had a feeling deep down that I wasn't pregnant, though my stupid drugs were giving me false pregnancy symptoms and confusing me at the end.

I've been having a bunch of nausea the past week, and it's been driving me nuts to keep getting negative tests. It's probably psychosomatic...

I Wish I Was
Dec 11, 2006

Alterian posted:

Not sure! If you google grapefruit and birth control it brings up articles and studies.
http://contraceptivereviewer.com/grapefruit-and-low-dose-birth-control-pills-a-risky-cocktail/

The funny thing is people recommend grapefruit when you're trying to conceive cause it can help you produce more fertile fluid.

Holy cow, that reminds me! I had to stop eating grapefruit because of a medication I was taking daily, but now that I've stopped taking it to get pregnant, I can eat grapefruit again! It's been so long that I just stopped even considering it at the grocery store.

I Wish I Was
Dec 11, 2006

Moms Stuffing posted:

Your username is too fitting for this thread.

Ha! I hadn't even thought about it in that context!

The oval office Pickle posted:

Thanks for the encouragement. :) I bought a pack of 3 First Response tests and I figure I'll just take one per week until I get a positive or my period shows it's ugly face.

I got mine from Amazon, and they were super cheap ($5.70 for 25), plus free shipping with Amazon Prime:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002YIQEQ/ref=oss_product

They require you to pee in a cup rather that just waving the stick through your stream, but SO much cheaper it's totally worth it.

Also, if any of you have a .edu email address, Amazon is giving a free Prime membership for a year. Technically it's just for students, but any .edu address will work to sign up. Really comes in handy when ordering heavy things like car seats and cribs!

Amazon has just started Amazon Mom, which gets you at least three months of free Prime two-day shipping and 30% off diapers, at least for now.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/mom/signup/info

I Wish I Was fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 16, 2010

I Wish I Was
Dec 11, 2006

fishandcandy posted:

I signed up for Amazon Mom yesterday! You get another month of prime for every $25 in eligible purchases, too.

I ordered 14 opks and 5 hpts from babyhopes.com for something like $16. Now I feel like I got ripped off. I check Amazon before I buy anything else but for some reason I didn't with these.

I'm really hoping I don't get to the point where I have to order any more.

Oh yeah. :) I'm only about 2 hours from Ashling and Quinn and we only manage to get together about once year.

My husband is offended that they called it Amazon Mom. :D

I Wish I Was
Dec 11, 2006

Grossness in spoilers.

Ugh, I'm having brownish discharge.

My last period ended on Sunday the 29th, so I'm not due for another one for another week at least. Is this wonkiness normal when coming off Nuvaring? A nineteen-day cycle seems a bit short.

I Wish I Was
Dec 11, 2006

My period was wonky when I came off NuvaRing. I had a 20 day cycle when mine are usually 28 on the dot.

Thanks. Glad to know I'm not the only one with a short first cycle. I appear to have gone into full-on period. This may explain why the ovulation strips showed faint pink one day and that was it - I probably didn't ovulate at all this month.

I Wish I Was
Dec 11, 2006

Did anyone else have really bizarre mood swings after ending birth control that persisted for more than a month? Also, my boobs are still incredibly sore and my period will be over tomorrow. Sore boobs was never one of my major period issues, so it feels really random.

The mood swings are starting to get on my nerves. I can be sitting here just happy as a clam and I'm suddenly really sad, anxious, or feeling very overwhelmed.

Yeah; the first week or so off the Nuvaring my boobs were seriously sore and I'd cry at the slightest provocation.

I Wish I Was
Dec 11, 2006

I'm getting very frustrated with the ovulation test strips. I used them every day for the past week, and in the last three days they were showing a light pink line, which the directions say is negative. Today, I got no line at all. Does this mean I'm just not ovulating this month, or should I be taking the light lines as positive readings? Could I go from light pink to nothing and then to positive? I'm so confused...

I Wish I Was
Dec 11, 2006

Thanks for that link! I now know more about ovulation test kits than I ever really wanted to know. I guess I get to keep peeing in a cup.

When Meg was born, my mom was totally obnoxious about calling her "my baby" as in "don't take my baby away from me!" - I kept expecting her to refer to Meg as "My Precious!"

When we told my husband's mom last year that trying for a baby was possibly on our radar, she said almost the exact same thing; something along the lines of "so I get to have another one!?"

Parents are seriously not aware of how creepy they sound to their adult children sometimes.

I Wish I Was
Dec 11, 2006

dishonesty posted:

Started having some twinging pains on one side, which after the last few months I can identify as being ovulation cramps (yay for being in touch with my body!)

So I just did a home ovulation test and it was positive - all systems are go!

Gonna go get my sex onnnnnnnnn :huh: :quagmire:

Yay! Good luck to you!

I Wish I Was
Dec 11, 2006

Remember when getting your period and finding out you weren't pregnant was cause for relief and possibly celebration? I miss those days. I'm not used to my first words on discovering that it's started being "oh, gently caress."

So yeah, I'm out for another month. :pout:

I Wish I Was
Dec 11, 2006

Moosephant posted:

Also, Bahunter and oval office Pickle, sorry to hear about your husbands. And I Wish I Was, good luck for this month! How long have you been trying? Grayscale, I hope the cycle with birth control is helpful for you. I'm going to give us a few months to try to conceive, then use the Nuvaring for a month because I've heard that sometimes women are more fertile coming right off birth control and it also gets my periods back on track.

This is month two, so I'm probably premature in worrying but I am 37 and got pregnant on the first try with my daughter twelve years ago, so I'm totally not used to this "trying" thing.

As for the Nuvaring thing, I'm wondering if that's not my problem. I've been on hormonal birth control for about ten years now, but before Meg I was using barrier methods. Ovulation tests haven't shown me ovulating at all the past two months...

I Wish I Was
Dec 11, 2006

Alterian posted:

My husband gets jealous of ovulation test strips cause I get to pee on something and he doesn't.

He can pee on some, too, they just won't mean anything.

I Wish I Was
Dec 11, 2006

Bahunter22 posted:

I'm 5'4 - 5'5 in a size 16 comfortably. Honestly, if you've ever seen Christina Hendricks, that's my shape but a bit I'm shorter. I've always had an hourglass figure (Large rack, small waist, wide in the hip and butt region). I've gotten down to my "ideal" weight and I looked like Skeletor and I didn't feel all that healthy. Hopefully I don't have any weight related problems with conception. I'm going to buy a stepper tonight so I can do something while I watch TV at night.

I worry about that, too. Between being 37 and being overweight I'm half convinced I'm never going to get to have another kid.

I Wish I Was
Dec 11, 2006

Definitely second opinion. I was taking Cymbalta when I met with my OB last year and he said that before I started trying I should switch to Zoloft. I switched to Wellbutrin instead, but the point still stands that Zoloft is considered safe during pregnancy and is the preferred antidepressant if you must take one while pregnant.

I Wish I Was
Dec 11, 2006

Sooo, my period is now officially 4 days late. I stopped cramping and everything. But I haven't gotten a positive pregnancy test.

I hate my uterus. Or my urine. One of them is slacking on the job.

Fingers crossed for you!

I think I may be out for a few months to try to get my weight down a bit before hard-core trying again. We probably won't actively prevent, but wont be actively trying.

I Wish I Was
Dec 11, 2006

dishonesty posted:

My period wasn't even due for like 6 days ... so I would have been only 3 weeks, but I tested anyway. Just cause I had the envelope of tests there lol

But... it paid off today.

I got the faintest line. So I rushed out and got a digital test...PREGNANT !!!!!!

Omg omg omg. Here we go again!

Yay! Huzzah! Hooray! I'm so excited for you!

I Wish I Was
Dec 11, 2006

Chicken McNobody posted:

drat my luck. Is there anyone else in the WORLD who would start her period AS SHE WAS PEEING ON THE STICK. :ughh: $6 wasted plus my husband laughed at me for being freaked out enough to go buy the test in the first place. Oh well, at least I have an extra just lying around now.

Order these: http://www.amazon.com/Devon-Medical-WS-1-Pregnancy-Strips/dp/B0002YIQEQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288364791&sr=8-1

or a higher quantity if you want. SO much cheaper that you won't feel guilty "wasting" one on the day your period starts (which has happened to me two months in a row).

I Wish I Was
Dec 11, 2006

Banana Cat posted:

Some women test positive at 8dpo, right? I am so impatient to test but I think Thursday would be the absolute earliest I could. Waiting sucks :argh:

With my daughter I got pregnant on Saturday, the 14th of November (the only day in about a two-week span that her dad and I had sex because he was traveling) and tested positive Wednesday of the week after (the day before Thanksgiving). I don't know if I would have tested positive earlier because that was the first test I took, but that was ten days after conception-sex so possibly as early as eight days after ovulation depending on how everything hung around.

I Wish I Was
Dec 11, 2006

Pluto posted:

Ok so I'm 5 days till my peroid and couldn't take it anymore, started tearing through my dollar store tests. They were so light I couldn't tell if it was a positive or an evaporation line. So of course I have to know RIGHT NOW and got a 2 pack of those first response tests. One was the line test and one was digital. I'm knocked up!

YAY! Congrats!

I Wish I Was
Dec 11, 2006

Pluto posted:

Thanks! Of course I can't keep a secret and now everyone knows :)

Now when I'm a raging bitch at work I can blame it on my hormones.

This is the single best thing about being pregnant. Anything insane you do, you get an automatic pass.

Oh yeah, and you get a baby at the end, that's pretty rad too.

I Wish I Was
Dec 11, 2006

Bodnoirbabe posted:

This is the wrong thread to ask. This thread is for people who are trying to get pregnant.

There is a thread in Ask/Tell that's for legal questions Here's a convenient link for you: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3266659

Possibly the single worst thread on all of SA he could have chosen.

In other news, my period is late but peeing on two sticks showed positive ovulation but negative pregnancy. I have no idea WTF my body is dong now.

I Wish I Was
Dec 11, 2006

Hot Jam posted:

When did I say I planned to ignore it or said I thought it will go away? I know shes not willing to take a test until her next missed period which will be at least another week. I was just looking for a reference point as to how much thought I should be giving this until that point. I know nobody can actually tell me. Shes a fairly heavy drinker, which heightens my concern and makes it harder to sit and wait. Sorry to interrupt your gettin' knocked up thread with a question about gettin' knocked up.

The problem is that there is no way for anyone to give you any kind of answer. Do I think she's pregnant? She very well might be, but it's also possible that she's not. You want us to tell you that she's not and that everything will be fine, but no one in this thread can tell you that. Your girlfriend can't even tell you that without taking a loving test. Refusing to take one IS sticking your head in the sand and hoping it will go away.

Have you two talked about what you would do if she got pregnant? Because her behavior, if she's truly still drinking heavily without regard to whether or not she's pregnant, probably indicates that she's in favor of abortion if she is pregnant. It could also mean that she's just in denial about the possibility, but if you don't know the answer to that question you shouldn't be having sex with her and you sure as hell shouldn't be doing it without birth control.

Oh wait, ignore that, here's the answer you're looking for: no dude, she's totally not pregnant, don't worry about it at all.

I Wish I Was
Dec 11, 2006

I think one of the reasons we've had two people in the past week come in here to ask about accidental pregnancies is the title of the thread. "Gettin' Knocked Up" gives the impression that it could be about finding yourself pregnant, rather than the process of trying to get pregnant. Reading the OP would dispel that misconception, but how many people read that if they've got a one-off question like the two we've encountered?

Maybe "Trying to Get Knocked Up" would be more in line with the actual purpose and content of the thread and not make people think that it's a place to talk about the consequences of accidental pregnancies.

I think that guy's biggest problem though was that he was asking a question that has no online answer. He would have gotten the same "are you stupid, we can't tell you that, she needs a pregnancy test" answer regardless of where he'd posted it.

I Wish I Was
Dec 11, 2006

dishonesty posted:

I'm back again!

Ultrasound confirmed a missed miscarriage again - going to hospital to have a D&C Tomorrow morning.

They tested the fetus last time and in laymans terms she basically explained that when the egg and sperm come together, they swap and share all the "information" for lack of better word, then split apart. But it didn't split apart, so the whole lot went into the uterus with too many chromosomes and stuff, so it wouldn't have been livable.

Matt and I are getting blood tests done to check our chromosomes and stuff too, in case there's a problem, because we fall pregnant easily but just can't STAY pregnant.

Oh god, that's awful. I'm so sorry.

I Wish I Was
Dec 11, 2006

I don't know WTF is up with my body; I guess I need an appointment with my gyn. It's been like two months since I've had a period, my boobs hurt like hell, but I get negative pregnancy tests every time I take one. I've been losing weight, so that may be contributing, but it's not like I'm on a starvation diet and previous weight-loss attempts haven't stopped my periods.

I Wish I Was
Dec 11, 2006

Period started this rnorning. Suck.

We haven't told anyone that we're actively trying, although we did tell our parents a year or so ago that kids might be on the horizon someday. I'm 38, so things may not proceed quickly or at all, and I don't want either of us being interrogated about our progress so we're keeping it to ourselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Wish I Was
Dec 11, 2006

Aw, Kenshi, that sucks. You're living my biggest fear right now, because at 38 I'm not at all confident that I can get pregnant, let alone make a healthy baby. Take care of yourself.

• Locked thread