Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

Aardvarklet posted:

So if I were only having sex in the days leading up to day 14, and maybe even right after that, it wouldn't be close enough to my actual ovulation day to work.

I always wondered about this but... why don't couples wanting to get pregnant just have sex one or twice every single day? I'd say you'd be pretty certain to hit your fertile time doing that.

I know my fiancé would be absolutely delighted if I suggested that plan :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

So my husband and I made the decision to try for our first baby this year :D

I want a couple of months of going to the gym and correcting my diet first - I figure the healthier I am, the better, and exercising pre-pregnancy will make it easier to continue through it. I already don't smoke, and only occasionally drink, but I need to kick the caffeine habit. My cycle has always been like clockwork (been tracking it for over a year now, 28 day average), we're both under 30, and I haven't been on the pill for a couple of years, so I'm hoping everything will be simple enough.

Started taking vitamins last month (Vitabiotics "Pregnacare Conception"), which covers 400mcg folic acid among other stuff. Weird thing I noticed is that for the first time in ages my cycle started 2 days late - almost unheard of for me, and had me panicking a bit! Wondering if that was caused by the vitamins.

Anyway, also picked up a basal thermometer today so going to start tracking that for a while as well; signed up on fertilityfriend.com. Also bought a couple of Clearblue tests, in preparation! We're due to be going on holiday to Thailand for the last 2 weeks of June, and by my calculations my ovulation date would be around 16th June. Not sure whether or not to start trying then, or hold off til the following month. If we started trying then, there's the possibility that I would be pregnant just before leaving for 2 weeks. Long distance plane travel / exotic food likely to cause any problems the first week or two of pregnancy?

Need to head to the doctors for a blood test soon, checking whether I've had toxoplasmosis or not. With 8 cats + fosters the last couple of years, it seems likely but my vet advised me to check anyway. I can stop worrying if doctor can tell me I've already had it! Also need to get a flu shot I hear.

Am I forgetting anything? :3:

Helanna fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 8, 2011

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

Exelsior posted:

Did you sign up for the premium version of fertility friend? Its good for anal (vaginal?) people like us, you can go through the gallery of other peoples cycles and see if anyone got pregnant on a cycle similar to yours. Good luck!

I've got the first month free on premium, so I can try it out. Will prob pay for it after that though as the basic features seem a bit limited.

Question about basal temperature taking though; is it more important to do it at the same time every day, or just when I wake up? Most "mornings" I wake up between midday and 1pm (I work a late shift, so don't tend to go to bed until 4 or 5am) but on my weekends I tend to sleep in til around 2pm, and don't really fancy setting my alarm early :D

Went to the gym for the first time in years today... thought I was going to die (or at least faint!) around 5 minutes in, and belatedly realised I didn't really eat anything yesterday. Whoops! Need to keep an eye on that too, I eat at weird times and often not at all on my weekends :3: Not healthy, at all.

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

Luvbuzzed posted:

Get your immunizations up to date, especially pertussis. Also ask your close family members to get a pertussis booster to help protect young babies who can't yet be immunized against it.

I've never heard of this vaccine :3: googling seems to indicate that it is something available in Canada/USA, but not available for adults in most EU countries.

www.immunisation.ie posted:

Currently in Ireland, the vaccine for pertussis is usually given as part of the “6-in–1” vaccine (Diphtheria, Tetanus, Hib, Pertussis (Whooping cough), Hepatitis B and Polio) Three doses of the "6 in 1" vaccine are usually given at two, four and six months of age.

I guess I'll have to go with that :D

Fire In The Disco posted:

Rather than "What to Expect," I was given "Your Pregnancy Week by Week," and I liked it a lot more.

Which version, there seems to be a number of books with that name?

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

Panne posted:

Are you sure? I'm in Europe (not the EU though) and it's recommended as a booster every 10 year for adults. It comes in a shot called DTP-IPV, which immunizes against diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis and polio. I would ask my doctor about it :)

Ireland's pages seem to indicate it's not given to adults here, and in most EU countries after 7 years old (except Germany?), but I'm definitely going to ask about it :D

Fire In The Disco posted:

6th Edition.

Thanks, just picked it up :D

Helanna fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Apr 15, 2011

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

limegrnxj posted:

Woot, I'm knocked up. I feel like I should be doing something about this, but I don't really think there is anything to do. Maybe I should go buy a rattle or something.

Congrats :D

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

Well my carefully laid plans didn't go to plan; wasn't intending to start trying til June but we started talking about what we would do if either of us couldn't have kids (waaay too early for this conversation) and I freaked out (I had no idea he was so again sperm donation or surrogacy as the topic hadn't come up before) and well it was only 2 days before my ovulation date, so :3: I don't know whether to hope or not. On one hand, it would be better if I'd waited a couple of weeks, especially as I just found out that I never had my Rubella booster as a teenager and I can't get that if I'm already pregnant. It also means I can't get the shots I need for going to Thailand, so holiday would have to change to something more local. On the other hand, we do want a baby and if it happens so easily well I shouldn't complain.

My temperature spiked today, so I take that to mean ovulation went along as planned. How long until I will be able to tell? I guess not for another 2 weeks, but the waiting is going to be tough.

Also wondering if I should get a second opinion; when I saw my doctor this week he told me I don't need a flu shot, and told me I'm cool to continue taking amytrypaline and tramadol during pregnancy (migraine treatments). I know googling is no replacement for medical training, but I'm finding a lot saying that I shouldn't be taking them. Only thing he offered was a bloodtest to check my immunities, and I didn't leave feeling very reassured :(

Helanna fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Apr 21, 2011

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

He's just my general doctor, not an OB. And yeah, amitriptyline - been taking it a couple of months as a migraine preventative and it's been fairly decent, and the tramadol is there for when it doesnt work (one of the only medications we've found that works). The doctor kept assuring me that amitriptyline "has been around over 50 years" so it would be fine to take :3: Some of the possible effects of those drugs look pretty bad for a baby :(

On the plus side, migraines are less common during pregnancy, so I am going to stop taking all meds and keep my fingers crossed.

Normally this doctor has been really good for me; when A&E at hospital were telling me I just had indigestion, he correctly diagnosed me with gallstones (despite my age) and insisted I went in for surgery, and again he sent me into hospital with appendicitis (which it turned out not to be, it was a "strangulated epiploica", but could still have become life threatening if not removed, and being dismissed by other doctors). I normally trust him, but this experience was quite poor :( Not sure if I need a referral to see an OB here or not, but I can ask that when I go in for my blood test in 2 weeks.

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

Negative test and then period today :( I'd actually got quite hopeful, despite the fact that realistically it would be better in a couple of months rather than now. Still sad though :( And can't help but irrationally wonder if there's something wrong.

On the plus side, I can shoot down to the doctors this week, get all the shots I need for vacation, and also safely get the rubella shot that I didnt get as a teenager! So technically a good thing :3:

How long would I have to wait after vaccines before trying again? I guess it's going to be at least a month.

Helanna fucked around with this message at 14:55 on May 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

I totally took 2 tests the day I found out I was pregnant, and then several more over the course of that week just to be sure!

• Locked thread